MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
TW Teo

MAS Cancels A380

KUALA LUMPUR, April 1 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines has confirmed that its $2.5 billion order for 6 Airbus A380 has been cancelled after months of speculation.

Delivery of the aircraft was scheduled for late 2007; however a series of delays resulted in the schedule being postponed by two years.

“We no longer require aircrafts as large as the A380 and we’re proceeding with the plan to only operate two types of aircraft, from the current four,†managing director Idris Jala said Friday.

“Besides, certain quarters has expressed dissatisfaction to the looks of the plane. We prefer to fly good looking planes because image is more important than efficiency.â€

The latest A380 setback came as French unions called for a strike to protest 10,000 planned job cuts and the sale or closure of six Airbus plants under restructuring plans.

Airbus was not available for comment at this time.

“We have been talking about a potential replacement for the A380 with Boeing.â€

Jala however refused to comment on which Boeing aircraft model are in discussion but hinted that the Boeing 777-300ER and the Boeing 737NGs were in consideration.

MAS, he said, wants to have the best aircraft for its core routes so that it will have the flexibility in a competitive environment.

In the next five years, he said, MAS will increase its flight frequencies and offer new destinations. The national airline will also sign code-share agreements that will give access to many southern European points.

"More frequencies to current destinations are in the pipeline, making the A380 redundant," said Jala.

As for the new network, he said routes in the Middle East will be restructured, while flight frequencies to non-trunk markets such as North America, South America and South Africa will remain unchanged.

-- BERNAMA

Wow..it's no longer rumours ya

Nice to hear that(at least for me)

but wondering what will they do for the upgraded door ya :rolleyes:

“Besides, certain quarters has expressed dissatisfaction to the looks of the plane. We prefer to fly good looking planes because image is more important than efficiency.”

:good: :good: :D

How about the Hangar That they are building at KLIA?

Wow .... What they gonna do with the airbus pilots ...

If not mistaken, MAS had sent some pilots who were flying Airbus fleet in MAS for A380 flight training?

What a big disappointment for these pilots..

er.... today's April Fool? :rolleyes:

haha, Could be also. You never know.LOL

True or not Emperor,.... hehehe... Like tat you two niner age liao lah kekekek.... :yahoo:

True or not Emperor,.... hehehe... Like tat you two niner age liao lah kekekek.... :yahoo:

shud be april's fool too :yahoo:

1 member is celebrating his/her birthday today

Surej S.(14)

:lol:

Guest Levent

“Besides, certain quarters has expressed dissatisfaction to the looks of the plane. We prefer to fly good looking planes because image is more important than efficiency.â€

Please don't tell me this is a serious statement... :blink:

This is not funny at all, this post should be deleted if proven fake by administrator. (How could MAS made these kind of important announcement on April 1 & most importantly -- Sunday! (Public holiday).

This is not funny at all, this post should be deleted if proven fake by administrator. (How could MAS made these kind of important announcement on April 1 & most importantly -- Sunday! (Public holiday).

Yes, this 'news' is not even on Bernama website www.bernama.com.my so it must be a fake, and if Bernama/MAS/Idris get hold of this, I dunno ...

+++

It'd better be Fools day, I almost trashed my 1:200 A380 to the floor in madness!!!!!! <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rofl.gif" alt=":rofl:">

Sign in to follow this