MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Air Asia X to buy long haul Airbus A330 jets

Air Asia X to buy long haul Airbus jets

By John Burton in Singapore

Financial Times

Updated: 10:40 a.m. ET March 30, 2007

AirAsia X, the new Malaysian long-haul low-cost airline, is expected to announce next month that it will buy up to 15 Airbus A330-300 aircraft, according to people familiar with the order.

AirAsia X is also planning to start service in the fourth quarter of 2007 by leasing several aircraft until it takes delivery of the new Airbus aircraft.

The new carrier is being launched by Tony Fernandes, the founder and chief executive of AirAsia, Asia's biggest budget carrier.

AirAsia X is owned separately by Fly Asian Xpress, which operates on domestic routes in Malaysia and is majority controlled by Mr Fernandes. However, AirAsia is considering taking an equity stake later. AirAsia X is paying a licence fee to AirAsia to use its brandname.

The selection of Airbus for the long-haul fleet is not a surprise since AirAsia has ordered up to 100 Airbus A320s, which ensures compatibility between the two airlines in terms of maintenance and servicing.

The bulk order with Airbus also means that AirAsia and AirAsia X are likely to buy the aircraft at a discount. The A330-300 lists for about $170m, putting the potential value of the new order at $2.63bn.

Mr Fernandes is seeking to revive the concept of long-haul discount service pioneered by Freddy Laker with his trans-Atlantic SkyTrain in the 1970s.

AirAsia X will initially fly to Birmingham or Manchester in the UK and Tianjin or Hangzhou in China before adding other routes later to China, India, the Middle East, Australia and the US.

There are suggestions that AirAsia X may seek alliances with other carriers, with Virgin Atlantic and Air Canada both being mentioned as possible partners. Malaysia has supported the launch of AirAsia X as it seeks to establish Kuala Lumpur International Airport as a regional hub for low-cost carriers in competition against Singapore and Bangkok.

AirAsia X's launch of long-haul discount flight service between Asia and Europe would follow the launch last year of Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, which operates two Boeing 747-400 aircraft to fly to London. Viva Macau, another startup, also plans to launch European routes.

© The Financial Times Ltd 2007. "FT" and "Financial Times" are trademarks of the Financial Times.Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17867262/

© 2007 MSNBC.com

A330-300 has a shorter range then -200......

but with better pax load...

i've seen the plan for LCCT widebody parking position last week..will post it later this few days...oh ya..news has it that MAB already finalised the location for the new permanent LCCT...you guys might be suprised with this...

..... oh ya..news has it that MAB already finalised the location for the new permanent LCCT...you guys might be suprised with this...

First a fast tracked LCCT project, soon to be expanded, express train to be extended to current LCCT, now plans for a 'new permanent' LCCT - somehow the element of "surprise" is lacking !! :)

First a fast tracked LCCT project, soon to be expanded, express train to be extended to current LCCT, now plans for a 'new permanent' LCCT - somehow the element of "surprise" is lacking !! :)

One too many "surprises" ey, BC?

but with better pax load...

i've seen the plan for LCCT widebody parking position last week..will post it later this few days...oh ya..news has it that MAB already finalised the location for the new permanent LCCT...you guys might be suprised with this...

Next to the Satellite Terminal?

Damm, I would have expected them to get the B772 at least.

AirAsia X plans to place an order next month for up to 15 A330-300s, The Financial Times reported Friday. The long-haul LCC, owned by FlyAsianExpress and spearheaded by AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes, had intended to launch in July but said last month it would push its start date back until the fourth quarter at the earliest owing to a lack of aircraft (ATWOnline, March 19). It initially will operate flights from Malaysia to a UK city and at least one Chinese city. It reportedly will lease aircraft so it can operate while awaiting A330 deliveries.

quoted from http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=4/2/2007

Next to the Satellite Terminal?

If it is next to the current satellite terminal on the empty space, how would pax get there after check in? Would MAB invest in a people mover system for the LCCT?

If it is next to the current satellite terminal on the empty space, how would pax get there after check in? Would MAB invest in a people mover system for the LCCT?

Probably they might move pax from the current LCCT to the parking area via ground shuttle services (vans or buses)

Air Asia X to buy long haul Airbus jets

By John Burton in Singapore

Financial Times

Updated: 10:40 a.m. ET March 30, 2007

AirAsia X, the new Malaysian long-haul low-cost airline, is expected to announce next month that it will buy up to 15 Airbus A330-300 aircraft, according to people familiar with the order.

The selection of Airbus for the long-haul fleet is not a surprise since AirAsia has ordered up to 100 Airbus A320s, which ensures compatibility between the two airlines in terms of maintenance and servicing.

AirAsia X's launch of long-haul discount flight service between Asia and Europe would follow the launch last year of Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, which operates two Boeing 747-400 aircraft to fly to London. Viva Macau, another startup, also plans to launch European routes.

© The Financial Times Ltd 2007. "FT" and "Financial Times" are trademarks of the Financial Times.Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17867262/

© 2007 MSNBC.com

Yes Raj, damn it's not 772!

Yeah, I'd have liked the T7 instead of this selection! Sigh... Instinct tells me there is more than mere compatibility issue...

from what i've been informed, part of the KLIA future masterplan will be scrap to facilitate the permanent LCCT...the permanent LCCT will be located exactly behind the MTB ( main terminal bulding )....this permanent LCCt will have direct access to both runways...

Edited by Fairul

from what i've been informed, part of the KLIA future masterplan will be scrap to facilitate the permanent LCCT...the permanent LCCT will be located exactly behind the MTB ( main terminal bulding )....this permanent LCCt will have direct access to both runways...

This makes perfect sense, as the now-closed long term uncovered parking area was supposed to be where the future second mirror-image MTB was to be built.

I wonder how the new LCCT will connect to rwy 14R?

This makes perfect sense, as the now-closed long term uncovered parking area was supposed to be where the future second mirror-image MTB was to be built.

I wonder how the new LCCT will connect to rwy 14R?

I entered this desolated parking building and was stuck there not long ago!! No work was actually in progress as opposed to the message on the sign board!

"AirAsia X is moving on nicely. I think they are going to make an important announcement on April 24."

I sure hope so!

+++

April 05, 2007 21:34 PM

AirAsia X May Take Off Earlier

SEPANG, April 5 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X may take off earlier than expected as it is close to sealing a deal to either purchase or leasing aircraft.

"AirAsia X is moving on nicely. I think they are going to make an important announcement on April 24," said AirAsia Bhd's group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes.

AirAsia X is a brand of Fly Asian Xpress, which is in turn a sister company of AirAsia Bhd.

AirAsia X was scheduled to take off in the middle of this year but due to higher leasing cost, it is expected to start flying only in September next year.

"We always surprised the market. Wait and see," Fernandes said when asked if AirAsia X could start operations this year.

The AT&T Williams sponsorship augured well with the company's aim to have a wider reach, Fernandes said.

"It will take our branding to a newer level," he said at the press conference to announce the sponsorship here today.

Fernandes said as a group, AirAsia would fly 54 million passengers in 2013.

On its subsidiary in Thailand, he said it would receive its Airbus A320 in October this year.

"We plan to have 50 aircraft in Thailand, which means an investment of US$3 billion," Fernandes said.

He said there were also plans to increase routes and frequencies from Thailand.

-- BERNAMA

50 wide-bodies and more than 70 destinations in 5 yrs? That's pretty ambitious, when the business model is not proven yet.

+++

BT

AirAsia ready to hand back rural routes to MAS

By Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

April 12 2007

Meanwhile, on AirAsia X, Fernandes said it may need to increase its fleet size to 50 wide-body aircraft, from an initial plan of 20 aircraft, in five years.

Within the given time frame, he said, the airline plans to fly to over 70 destinations.

"With AirAsia X, Malaysia would soon be in the same league as Dubai and Changi," he added.

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/T...icle/index_html

Reliable sources have said that the first flight is scheduled for mid-May..and they are trying to get the company ready for it as soon as possible..cabin crew have not completed their training yet.. By the way, it seems its gonna be two A330-300 from Aerlingus with configuration of 380 seats including 36 business class which already in place (Air Asia doesnt wanna remove them and reconfigure the business class as they're leasing it for short period). And yes, they are also planning for 8 cabin crew on board which I think is not in line with DCA's regulation if i am not wrong..

Meanwhile, on AirAsia X, Fernandes said it may need to increase its fleet size to 50 wide-body aircraft, from an initial plan of 20 aircraft, in five years.

Malaysia will be swamped with air buses by then... ;) That will be the airbus legacy, thanks to Mr. Fernandez...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Reliable sources have said that the first flight is scheduled for mid-May..and they are trying to get the company ready for it as soon as possible..cabin crew have not completed their training yet.. By the way, it seems its gonna be two A330-300 from Aerlingus with configuration of 380 seats including 36 business class which already in place (Air Asia doesnt wanna remove them and reconfigure the business class as they're leasing it for short period). And yes, they are also planning for 8 cabin crew on board which I think is not in line with DCA's regulation if i am not wrong..

Wow !! Great news if its true and looking forward to seeing more planes in KLIA in the future !!!!

As for your statement on not in line with the DCA's regulation for Cabin Crew, what is the minimum number

of crew that is required ?

As quoted by Naim:

"BT

AirAsia ready to hand back rural routes to MAS

By Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

April 12 2007"

FAX came to the conclusion that those rural flights can never be operated with a profit ??? :blink: