MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

OAG presented nominees for the Airline of the Year 2007

LONDON - OAG, a large supplier of travelinformation, has presented the nominees for the Airline of the Year awards. For the various catergories, British Airways has been nominated six times and American Airlines five times. Continental Airlines and Singapore Airlines, both have been nominated four times. New airlines are AirAsia, Bmibaby, Etihad and Korean Air.

Amsterdam-Schiphol has been nominated in the category "Best Airport", as well as Dubai International, New York JFK, San Fransisco International and Singapore-Changi. KLM/Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic are nominated in the category "Best Airline based in Western Europe".

Previously, British Airways, British Caledonian, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Swissair, Emirates, Continental Airlines and Cathay Pacific were choosen "Airline of the Year". The winners this time will be announced on the 17th of April in the Landmark Hotel in London.

---

What will be your favourite airline and airport ?

What I have experienced last year I would say Finnair is my airline of the year.

Airport... Well Suvernabhumi would never be it with al the problems they have.

For this years airport I think I will choose for Düsseldorf, Germany.

Airport - Singapore-Changi

Airline overall - Singapore Airlines - for awesome service all round, and for remembering my birthday

Airline in Europe - Lufthansa for F, British Airways for J, Virgin Atlantic for Premium Economy, Finnair for Y

Airline in N America - American Airlines

Airline in South Pacific - Air New Zealand

Airline in Asia - Singapore Airlines (well surprise surprise :p)

Ground service - either Lufthansa (for lounges and amenities) or American Airlines (for very professional ticketing staff and for being so helpful when things go wrong, eg lost baggage recovery)

Edited by Keith T

I'm not really surprise with MH not being up there, but since Continental and American were listed, surprise surprise <_>

My bet goes to Singapore Airlines...

I can't figure out why MAS isn't on the list... :o :blink: :shok:

I can't figure out why MAS isn't on the list... :o :blink: :shok:

They might have the 'best crew', so to speak, but being presented with the coveted title 'Airline of the Year' requires more than just sparkling teeth and excellent personal skills. Aircrafts must be in top shape...interior must be great...IFE...Catering...on time departures...amongst other things...

They might have the 'best crew', so to speak, but being presented with the coveted title 'Airline of the Year' requires more than just sparkling teeth and excellent personal skills. Aircrafts must be in top shape...interior must be great...IFE...Catering...on time departures...amongst other things...

I'd say that MH is more deserving of 'Airline of the Year' than the likes of CO, AA and even BA. Especially BA with wee Willie at the helm.

Then again it's the OAG and I wouldn't be surprised to see Air China up there one day. Ultimately, the OAG (like Skytrax) is all about who has influence, financial or otherwise.

Edited by Keith T

And you're saying that the interior, IFE and catering of Korean Airlines, CO, AA is better than MH???? Time to book a flight with them to recheck that..

Personally, I dont think SQ is that great after all, they may have a vey good Business product now but comparing their interior, IFE and aircraft shape MH is definitely on par and a strong competitor to them..Especially in EY, remember that pax love travelling with MH for their good seats and IFE...i still think this awards is well 'influenced' in a lot of ways...

Edited by Sanjay Thaker

hmm...MH's A330-300's...

no IFE...

old and worn out...

IMHO...KE wins here because, contrary to your beliefs, i HAVE flown them many times.

hmm...MH's A330-300's...

no IFE...

old and worn out...

IMHO...KE wins here because, contrary to your beliefs, i HAVE flown them many times.

But doesnt it have to be the OVERALL picture. Their IFE isnt good and service...hmmm.....lets not go there. Besides, even SQ's regional aircrafts arent in a very good shape. No difference from our A330-300 besides that small lil PTV in business class...

Edited by Sanjay Thaker

hmm...MH's A330-300's...

no IFE...

old and worn out...

I love MH 333-300, it is so spacious, the generous legroom and seat pitch.........I would prefer it over MH332(with PTV)

MH 333 has IFE FYI, the TV that comes out from the ceiling/the projector screen :good:

The interior is not old, just above avg. I find the plane simply in great condition and bright.......I flown them 6 times this year and love it :D

About KE, I'm gonna try their 333 this summer, but they dun hv PTV AFAIK...

remember that pax love travelling with MH for their good seats and IFE...i still think this awards is well 'influenced' in a lot of ways...

Agree, but ppl fly SQ bcuz it's cheaper, wider coverage and good product too, MH has everything except wider coverage and not so cheap...

Edited by Seth K

I love MH 333-300, it is so spacious, the generous legroom and seat pitch.........I would prefer it over MH332(with PTV)

MH 333 has IFE FYI, the TV that comes out from the ceiling/the projector screen :good:

The interior is not old, just above avg. I find the plane simply in great condition and bright.......I flown them 6 times this year and love it :D

You fly Business bro...of course la the legroom and seat pitch is generous/wide...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Btw...I simply replied the way I did because I knew the subsequent replies from a few members would allow me to prove my actual point. (btw..surprised Gibby hasn't put his 2 cents worth here...coz he LOVES that aircraft :pardon: )

EVERYBODY is different and has their own opinion. I dont like the A333...but you do...I might not like other things...but you may like those same things...and vice versa. Thats why large-scale voting is required in order to ensure that the coveted title is presented to the most deserving airline.

Especially in EY, remember that pax love travelling with MH for their good seats and IFE...

The MH (Wh)Y seating has more legroom than SQ's equivalent (apart from the latter's 77W) but I wouldn't say that the MH IFE is better than Krisworld. Other than that, I'd say any SQ vs MH comparison is really like comparing apples to apples... It's like the constant CX vs SQ battles that I witness on Flyertalk. C'mon you're comparing some of the best carriers around. MH or SQ vs IC or CA...now that's a comparison.

And in the end a lot of my decisions are made based on FFP-accrual opportunities (which makes MH, and very recently - SQ very unattractive options), the specific product used on a specific route (eg SQ's guaranteed Spacebeds-Raffles class aircraft over TG's swap-a-lot biz seating on the MEL runs, and similarly I'd fly LX with long haul style service over SQ's regional seating on SIN-BKK), and finally - value (LH/TG mixed F/C and SQ C to europe at the same fare - I know who I'd fly with!).

Edited by Keith T

You fly Business bro...of course la the legroom and seat pitch is generous/wide...

I flew economy on all 6 flights :rolleyes: just different idea/opinions ;)

Edited by Seth K

I flew economy on all 6 flights :rolleyes: just different idea/opinions ;)

OOO...

Ahh...now I know why I found the seats tighter back when I flew them... :blink:

Last time I was fat Imran... <_>

Agree, but ppl fly SQ bcuz it's cheaper, wider coverage and good product too, MH has everything except wider coverage and not so cheap...

I find there is a one third chance to get a deflated seat cushion on MH 333.

Except to KUL and PEN; SQ is not known to be cheap. Actually, their biz class fare is a lot more expensive than MH.

:drinks:

Except to KUL and PEN; SQ is not known to be cheap. Actually, their biz class fare is a lot more expensive than MH.

Compare a SIN-USA fare on SQ with a SIN-KUL-USA (no stopover in KUL) fare on MH in business. The difference is almost 2 fold.

Plus on top of fuel fines, SQ levies a Q surcharge (I call it the 'new product fine') on flights operated by 77W and direct services (the 'direct flights' fine') on A345. And for a lot of the cheaper SQ fares, you can't even include the A345 services. I usually get around this by booking on to SQ flights via RTW (on 744 flights to avoid all the stupid fines), but given that all flights to the US will be 77W/A345/A380 soon... eek it's giving me a headache!

Edited by Keith T

Guest Fendy

i would like to see LAN recognised for something. they are a really really underrated airline imho. perhaps they aren't global enough.

All I know is that most of my friends who are going 2 OZ and NZ to study the opted for SQ because it is a loot cheaper... MH is famous for being expensive. But I like SQ better I think.... so much for patriotism :p

I like the A330/332 of MH... if I don not remember wrongly the A330 does have individual IFE right used it from KCH-KUL-KCH was very fun!!!! But sighs no movies or games onboard for short/domestic flights bugger..... <_<

Edited by Edwin Lau

I like the A330/332 of MH... if I don not remember wrongly the A330 does have individual IFE right used it from KCH-KUL-KCH was very fun!!!! But sighs no movies or games onboard for short/domestic flights bugger..... <_>

A332 hav inseat IFE because they are leased and came with the system installed. Why on earth didn't MH install inseat IFE when the A330's were ordered?

A332 hav inseat IFE because they are leased and came with the system installed. Why on earth didn't MH install inseat IFE when the A330's were ordered?

Home based carrier is normally more expensive than foreign carriers. However, MH is much cheaper than SQ on all other sectors.

MH 333 didn’t have IFE, because these were purchased during Mr. 019’s era, and he didn’t think Asian (non white) appreciate such a system.

Home based carrier is normally more expensive than foreign carriers. However, MH is much cheaper than SQ on all other sectors.

MH 333 didn’t have IFE, because these were purchased during Mr. 019’s era, and he didn’t think Asian (non white) appreciate such a system.

Stupid him... but MH can refurbished the cabin wa.......

example? so far i heard they are more expensive

Stupid him... but MH can refurbished the cabin wa.......

example? so far i heard they are more expensive

As I posted above, commence an MH fare from SIN and watch the fare drop. You can't stopover in KUL though due to HIP.

TPE-LAX is dirt cheap on both SQ and MH.

Sign in to follow this