MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sneeze Lam

Spotting in Hong Kong

Thanks all for the comments.

Also, thanks admin for the change of the topic title, but I still think the previous one was much suitable :rolleyes:

Good place to spotting ....Perhaps we organise a trip to HKG for spooting someday :drinks:

Kenneth, I have suggested such an idea when I took part in the MW 2nd Anniversary.

I suggested to have gathering in other airports rather than KUL, maybe first in PEN, 4th in SIN, 5th in BKI, 6th in HKG, 7th in TPE, 8th in AMS.............

So, members, be ready, save up your pocket money.

:rofl:

Try to have some shots following T.Azahan, the expert of head shots, I made this as a result. It is one of the ex-SIA B744, which has been converted as a freighter.

0707-b-hkh_7073.jpg

fuyoh!!! :blink: love it man!!!

I have just been to HKIA for the previous 2 days. Just discovered that the SkyDeck (aka Observation Deck) on Tower North, T2 has been opened along with the Aviation Discovery Centre. Admission fee is just HKD$10, open everyday from 1000 to 2200. The Deck is really just a deck with a few 30x binoculars, it is free to use. No toilet, no water/drinks and even food for sale, but you are allowed to prepare for yourself and bring up there. In urgent, you may ask those staffs on the deck for help to get food and drinks. For further information, please feel free to ask here.

Here got some shots taken on 11/Jul:

Arrived in the early morning, at 0730, just waiting for this Jett8 Cargo, but it was delay, ATA 094x

Taken from the bus drop off area:

0711-9v-jea_7402a.jpg

Taken upon the deck, the latest member of Oasis HK.

0711-b-lfc_8294.jpg

Cause I have to accompany with my friend coming from CAN, China, so I was on the deck again on 12/Jul.

However, when we reach the airport, we discovered that a TNT was parking at the cargo ramp for the noon departure, so we decided to go to the shore near the hangar to nail that.

0712-oo-tha_8884.jpg

After our lunch, we was heading all the way to T2 for the SkyDeck.

Needless to mention much, just view on the photos, and you will feel how great the deck is.

VS A346 seconds be touch down

0712-c-vwin_9621.jpg

Sunset view from the deck:

0712-HKIA_9857.jpg

Hurry for dinner, please feel free to ask.

Wow... Sneeze...

That'sa very nice 'deck'.... with those beautiful shots,

the place worth more than HK$10,bro!...

very thoughtful of the airport operator :clapping:

Nice TNT :good:

Hi Sneeze,

Nice pictures! Good to hear of the new Observation Deck. Need more details.

What is a suitable lens for runway shots?

From the pictures, it seems that it is good for the morning. Confirm??

Hong Kong here I come....hehe

Kwek

sneeze...

im thinking of applying leave/holiday for Hong kong in winter...is it a good time??

Thanks Uncle Norman, Kev Teh (aka HS-TEH :rolleyes: ) and Kwek for the apperciation

What is a suitable lens for runway shots?

From the pictures, it seems that it is good for the morning. Confirm??

Morning can be a nice try, but nose will be dark. I will try for you tomorrow, so I will share you some shots after that.

I guess it will be good for late summer afternoon, as the sun will set a bit south bound.

For runway shot? the VS touchdown one I was using 200mm + 2x + 1.6 crop factor + a little bit editing crop.

Another runway shots. ***Shots were taken unde full range.:

South runway, the runway near Cathay City, see the touchdown of the MD11F of Eva Cargo.

IMG_9712.jpg

See the NZ B744? It was on holding Juilet 5 holding point. Since I was at the right corner of the building, i.e. near RWY25R/07L, so the angle may not be that excellent. I may try some shots tomorrow and share again.

IMG_9758.jpg

North runway under the using of 28mm lens (with C.Factor)

IMG_9841.jpg

Hope this additional photos can help you guys know more about the environment.

sneeze...

im thinking of applying leave/holiday for Hong kong in winter...is it a good time??

For winter, it is always not a good time to be in Hong Kong, as for the North wind, especially the Northwest wind, in my last year's experience.

Northwest winds were always the worst day against spottors for going to spot.

Anyway, back to the topic, since we still haven't experienced the RWY07 take off days with the SkyDeck, so I can't tell if the deck is good for the most-in-use-winter-runway RWY07. However, with the serious of the global warming, the days with RWY25 was even last occasionally till November last year.

Everything can happen, no one knows.

If RWY07 is in use, Sha Lo Wan, that is the as known Spot 10 in MWs, will definately the best place for the line up shots, enhancing with some cargo approaching/landing.

I will keep reporting with you guys with the SkyDeck's best/ worst and the facilities updates.

IMG_9841.jpg

Hope this additional photos can help you guys know more about the environment.

Sneeze Tai Kor, is this SQ 892 on Wednesday 11/07/2007?

Edited by LeeCH

Sneeze Tai Kor, is this SQ 892 on Wednesday 11/07/2007?

Leech, i have to disappoint you. :sorry:

It was taken on 12/07/2007.

Hey, why don't you notice me? <_ i was staying late there also on till around>

if you let me know in advance I will stay a bit late and have shot on you flight~

But it is all over, next time remember, no matter turn around, or bring with me SQ ah mois staying overnight, SMS me, you have my number I guess, right? :rolleyes:

Sneeze,

Thanks a lot for sharing these recent pictures with us here :drinks:

It's good to know the airport-authorities have contructed a similar "viewing platform", like the one at MUC in Germany: it's also open and unshaded, but a great spot for photography :good:

I should consider another 'stop' at HKG on my travels to the Far-East, seeing these developments (no more spotting close to those noisy and smokey busses :pardon: )

Sneeze all the photos Ur have taken are really AWESOME !!! The Jumbos are really amazing !!! HKG really a very good for spotting !!! :drinks: Thanks for sharing!!!!! :drinks:

Edited by Andrew Yong

Sneeze,

WOW...great shots. Seems like things in Hong Kong are really starting to pick up! Esp, with that opening of the Observation Deck on Terminal 2....pity that it only opens at 1000 am!

Once again, thanks for sharing the images....wonderful!

Andrew

Thanks all for the comments.

Also, thanks admin for the change of the topic title, but I still think the previous one was much suitable :rolleyes:

Kenneth, I have suggested such an idea when I took part in the MW 2nd Anniversary.

I suggested to have gathering in other airports rather than KUL, maybe first in PEN, 4th in SIN, 5th in BKI, 6th in HKG, 7th in TPE, 8th in AMS.............

So, members, be ready, save up your pocket money.

:rofl:

Marvellous idea.....besides that BKI expansion program should had been completed by then. I really dont mind a gathering somewhere since airport like HKG is a good spot. Anyone interested can just join. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

Yes, it is really a great place for not only us but the world's spottors.

Now, I won't say HKG is a spottors-unfriendly airport, however, still hoping the SkyDeck to improve much on the facilities.

I will share some shots taken just today a bit later, as I have just back from the gathering with my family. :sorry:

Long haven't posted shots on MH flights, so here I would like tohave this dedicate to all of you guys in Malaysia.

0714-9m-mre_0483.jpg

TG600/601 is a flight always giving us with surprise. Before , we used to have MD11 for the flight, and now, we have A346, B744 or even B743 for this.

Seen here it is a wonderful new color B744

0714-hs-tgz_0176.jpg

Not my first time to see the below lovely painted aircraft, however, because for the SkyDeck, I can finally have this nicely.

Back from KUL via HKG.

0714-b-18610_0120.jpg

Big heads are now always my choice to have it on the deck.

Below are two different aircrafts nailed.

0714-b-huk_0454.jpg

0714-c-gkom_0475.jpg

Good Work Sneeze...Keep it up....looking forward to join u someday, haha,looking forward to join you...but i wonder if ur place can accomodate me..haha :rolleyes:

Good Work Sneeze...Keep it up....looking forward to join u someday, haha,looking forward to join you...but i wonder if ur place can accomodate me..haha :rolleyes:

Haha, I have to ask my 7 dogs in my home.

If they have no objection, I guess it will be fine. :rofl:

Wow, SkyDeck really gives another (and nice) interesting angle :good:

Definitely should be back for some more shots, Sneeze :D