MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alif A. F.

MASkargo to start new service to Sabah, Sarawak

By Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

March 17 2007

MALAYSIA Airlines' (MAS) air freight unit, Malaysia Airlines Cargo Sdn Bhd (MASkargo), will commence a new service for small freight to Sabah and Sarawak from Kuala Lumpur next quarter.

The carrier will operate a combined five flights per week service between Kuala Lumpur and Kuching, between Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu and between Kota Kinabalu and Guangzhou, using a leased B727-200 freighter which has a 20-tonne cargo capacity.

"Apart from enhancing our products, the move is also aimed at improving our cargo services in Sabah and Sarawak," MAS senior general manager (cargo) Datuk Ong Jyh Jong told reporters at MASkargo's open house at the KL International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang yesterday.

"Eventually, we hope to expand this service to other regional destinations such as Jakarta as well as Indochina," he added.

For 2007, Ong expects the international air cargo business to be challenging with the entry of new players as a result of a more liberalised traffic rights.

The carrier has forecasted a six per cent increase in revenue for the year. Cargo volume at the KLIA is expected to increase three to five per cent to 680,000-690,000 tonnes.

"As a result of a more liberalised environment and the entry of new players, the industry will be facing a situation where capacity will exceed demand. This could have an impact on our yields," said Ong.

To remain competitive, MASkargo will continue to introduce new products and services.

"Hopefully this will help us sustain our yields," he said.

It plans to introduce two new products, the "i-Secure" and the "Premium Lift", this month and April, respectively.

The i-Secure service provides additional security features where it allows customers to track and receive updates on the movements of their goods.

As for the Premium Lift service, customers will immediately be able to confirm cargo uplift for shipments less than 80kg, after making their bookings.

MASKargo currently operates four B747-200 and two B747-400 freighters, covering Penang, Dubai, Basel, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Taipei, Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne, Malpensa and Guangzhou. It is expected to take delivery of its leased B727-200 freighter next quarter.

The carrier derives some 50 per cent of its revenue from the belly space on MAS' passenger flights, while its freighters make up the rest.

Interesting development for MASKargo...but, for Pete's sake, why an 'old' 727 ?

Is it wetleased from Transmile ?

..... why an 'old' 727 ?

Cause they're cheap ? Cause no one else allow these oldies to fly over their head ?!

Good thinking about the wet lease option - would MH Kargo be able to utilize the bird optimally with just the three routes ?

If they put it like that, they shouldn't sell the two B733F away back then.

733F?

MZA and MZB. Thats why previously MAS 737 pilots are rated for B737-300/400/500. That's how it was back then.

Anyway, about the B727F. I'll give it 95% chance of it being wet-leased from Transmile.

I didn't know that MASkargo used to operate the 737-300(F) :blink:

733F?

Go A.net and search for rego 9M-MZA and 9M-MZB. Those in MAS for at least 10 years and above knows about it. :good:

It does land at BKI back then and park at Bay 6 head on towards the terminal and staff are unloading cargo through the wide cargo door. Ohh the old days...

We used to do the newspaper run on those aircraft. MH 6010 / 6011. KUL (Subang) - KCH - BKI - KUL. 0400 departure with full load to KCH, offload half the newspaper there and continue to BKI. Offload the rest of the papers there and continue back mostly empty to KUL.

Initially we used to carry one cabin crew, to make our coffee and arm / disarm the doors. Then we carried one cadet pilot cabin crew (ask TK what that means). Later for cost cutting measure we didn't carry any cabin crew at all.

I stop flying the B733F in 1997 when I went to the B742 fleet. When I come back in 2000 they were gone. The last one, MZB, was last seen wearing white when I was doing my 737 conversion in early 2000.

thanks a lot for the imformaiton... :)

as mentioned by Andrew, i didn't know MASCargo used to operate 733F before. :)

Capt., i thought MAS 737 pilot rated 737-300/400/500 is due to last time MAS used to operate this three series. and sorry for my ignorance.

btw, cadet-pilot-cabin-crew mean cadet pilot who follow the flight act as a cabin crew also?

Edited by Sherman

I don't know why they don't just buy some second-hand Boeing 757-200 to fly this route. The 757s are more fuel efficient than the old 727-200 Advs. MAS could also opt for the options of converting some of their current 734s to 737-400F since their operations at Subang are capable of this coversion.

Anyway, I hope we will get to see the 727-200 wearing MAS livery (MASKargo), something on my wish list since my childhood. ;)

Edited by S V Choong

I used to see quite a few B733Fs in BKI...but then as millenium approaches they were gone the same fate as MH MD11s from MAS fleet.

My guess would be the 722F being an interim measure, sort of like testing out the market first. If so, then a refreshing change from the gung-ho 'let's do it first, think later' approach of the past !

Learnt from forwarding agents here at BKI there have been problems with cargo capacity on KUL-BKI ever since MH reduced widebody services on the route. The 734's cannot handle the pallets and under belly space is obviously much less compared with the 330's and 722's. So much so we were getting goods from our PJ hq routed via BWN on BI, or one consignment being delivered in multiple deliveries (you should hear the moans from the forwarders !)

Nice to see MH trying to address the problem. I wonder if AK's underbellies (the 320's apparently have good capacity there) and Transmile's birds are doing well too ?

Sign in to follow this