MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS Will Launch A New Airline, "Firefly"

Returned from KBR yesterday after an exciting KUL-PEN-KBR-KUL trip to be on FireFly's inaugural revenue flight PEN-KBR with Levent and everyone on board, including Idris Jala and his top team. Flight FY 3000 took off at about 0705 with Captain Rozman commanding 9M-MGK. Daylight was just appearing over Penang Island when we took off heading east to Kota Bharu. As light levels was still very low outside, only my videocam could shoot the outside (including moment of takeoff) until we were 10 minutes into the flight.

The flight was smooth all the way. As it was early, the terrain was filled with mist and not much could be seen until halfway into the journey. It was business on the first flight... no on-board celebrations. Refreshments were for sale! The Captain made the usual announcement regarding altitude, speed etc. And soon I spotted the coastline of Kelantan, meaning it was landing time. As Levent proceeded to the jumpseat, I continued videotaping the wheels for the smokey touchdown.

We were welcomed by a welcoming comittee of tourism officials and to the sweet melody of Kelantan traditional music. Levent and I were the last passengers to disembark and we took the oppotunity to photograph in every direction. It was a memorable occasion indeed.

Anyway it appears that FireFly is somewhat following a low cost model with on-board purchase of refreshments. The prices are close to that charged by Air Asia, but the menu proper is still not yet ready. It was a photocopied piece of paper listing only drinks and tidbits. The safety card was printed on a very thin piece of paper.

Overall my impression of FireFly is mixed. The destinations it offers will be welcomed by many. With these new services one could fly, for example KUL-TGG-PEN-LGK-KUL etc etc. But since FireFly is separate from MAS and operates point to point, any delays by either party may not be compensatable by either airline.

I also overheard Idris Jala saying to reporters that FireFly is constrained by its fleet numbers. If one aircraft goes AOG, then 50% of schedules will go haywire. I was thinking that maybe then MH's B737s could come to the rescue if such thing occurs.

It would be interesting to see how FireFly works out in the long run. I also look forward to future on-board sales of merchandise that would supplement ticket sales. A FireFly Fokker 50 1:100 scale model would be nice!

I was shooting with 3 types of media (film, video and digital stills) and, and out of the digital pictures, here are some of mine to share. I'm sure Levent has more to follow. Thanks for viewing.

FireFlys on the tarmac as I arrived at PEN 2nd April, ready for the big day the next day.

P4020057_resize.jpg

Gate information display. I think it should spell 'Bharu'.

P4030141_resize.jpg

Cabin view. MAS staff checking things out.

P4030165_resize.jpg

View behind me with some of the passengers, including Idris Jala.

P4030169_resize.jpg

Flght Attendants with refreshments cart.

P4030175_resize.jpg

Cabin view.

P4030179_resize.jpg

Landing gear down. Windows were horribly scratched!!

P4030184_resize.jpg

After the ceremony.

P4030188_resize.jpg

Traditional musical troupe.

P4030190_resize.jpg

Refreshments in arrival hall.

P4030197_resize.jpg

The small crowd.

P4030194_resize.jpg

Idris Jala and reporters.

P4030203_resize.jpg

Great shots of the inaugural, Rozhan, and thanks for sharing these :good:

Now, looking forward to Levent's and his story :pardon:

Guest Levent

Hey guys,

Better late than never I guess - in this case also quite literally...

The Firefly check-in desks at PEN

FY_checkin_small.jpg

The passenger cabin of Mike Golf Kilo - looking quite good despite her age

cabin_small.jpg

The lovely ladies on duty on this inaugural flight

FAs_small.jpg

It had been ages since I had my last F50 jumpseat ride! The cockpit looks clean and tidy

F50_cockpit_small.jpg

Kota Bharu town, on the banks of the Kelantan river

KBRappr3_small.jpg

Moments before touchdown on Rwy 10

Rwy10_small.jpg

Taxiing to the parking stand...

KBR_taxi_small.jpg

Thank you, CPT Rozman Mohd Shukri and F/O John Ng!

Pilots_small.jpg

The welcoming ceremony at KBR

KBR_ceremony_small.jpg

The elegant lady waiting patiently for the ride back to Penang

9MMGK_KBR_small.jpg

A Super Puma of MHS Aviation

MHS_9MSTW_small.jpg

And finally, Mike Golf Kilo landing at Penang on the next day

9MMGK_landing_small.jpg

Did anyone read The Star of Wednesday 4 April? I was in the picture taken in the cabin, the guy with the light blue shirt...

Just got an email from Flight International that one of my Firefly pics will be published in this week's issue, with a 100-word caption! :yahoo:

Edited by Levent

Nice pictures there Levent. I like the runway pic but I wonder if it was the reflection of the cockpit or the windshields are scratched too....like the cabin windows!

Thanks YJ Foo for the pictures of MGK on the tarmac, knowing Levent and I were inside. BC Tam and Ewan, as Levent had replied, we were not in the pictures posted as we were still engrossed with taking pictures inside. Min Chun, Pieter, thanks... these are some of my better pics from the digital camera. I think my video and film camera captured the whole event better. I was switching between 3 equipments every now and then, with video taking precedent.

In case anyone is wondering how menu list and prices compare, here are the details from the temporary menu card (or rather piece of photocopied paper):

Drinks:

1. Mineral Water (500ml) RM4

2. Coke / Sprite RM5

3. Diet Coke RM6

4. 100 Plus RM6

5. Nescafe 3 in 1 Coffee RM4

6. Ali Cafe 3 in 1 Tea RM4

7. Nestea 'Tea-O-Ice' RM4

8. Milo RM4

Tidbits:

1. Mister Potato Chips RM3

2. Kit Kat RM3

3. Salted Peanuts RM1

4. Maggi Hot Cup Noodles RM7

5. Mixed Sweets RM1

6. Short Cake Biscuit RM2

Very limited selection, but this is just temporary. Anyway the flight will not be that long. In today's papers, Idris Jala was quoted as saying that MAS may get bigger planes for FireFly, and FireFly may have code share with Air Asia, subject to Air Asia agreeing to interlining.

And Air Asia has a cheeky advertisment on page 9 of the New Straits Times today with the tagline "Catch Me If You Can" with fireflies hovering over a Williams F1 car which Air Asia is sponsoring. Air Asia vs Malaysia Airlines advertising has always been humourous despite the obvious competition.

Will I fly FireFlyz again? Yes! Next time to cover TGG and KUA.

Edited by Rozhan

Guest Levent
Nice pictures there Levent. I like the runway pic but I wonder if it was the reflection of the cockpit or the windshields are scratched too....like the cabin windows!

I don't think the cockpit windscreens were scratched, but they were definitely not clean. And yes, there was also the sun shining in as we were landing on Rwy 10.

I wonder how windows get scratched in the first place...

And Air Asia has a cheeky advertisment on page 9 of the New Straits Times today with the tagline "Catch Me If You Can" with fireflies hovering over a Williams F1 car which Air Asia is sponsoring. Air Asia vs Malaysia Airlines advertising has always been humourous despite the obvious competition.

AHhhh, BRILLIANT!!

Would love to see this.....

Did anyone read The Star of Wednesday 4 April? I was in the picture taken in the cabin, the guy with the light blue shirt...

Just got an email from Flight International that one of my Firefly pics will be published in this week's issue, with a 100-word caption! :yahoo:

Went through the newspaper. yup. gotcha!

Big Congrats on your pic!!...

Just managed to see the ad by AirAsia..

Brilliant indeed... Love the brains behind Mr Tony's Marketing Team..

Can someone scan and put it in here, I want to see also. :(

Nice photos taken, Levent n Rozhan.. Keep them up :)..

Zack

Can someone scan and put it in here, I want to see also. :(

Nice photos taken, Levent n Rozhan.. Keep them up :)..

Zack

Here you are Azri M. Notice the fireflies over "YOU"!

P4070001.jpg

By the way I can't find any article on FireFly as Levent mentioned i.e. in The Star 4th April. I think it is not available in the KL edition and only printed in the northern edition for Penang etc.

Edited by Rozhan

Levent,

Excellent TR of Firefly, the plane looks old, no surprise there ;)

Cabin looks real tight as well, but the service seems good enough for a short hop!

Guest Levent

I had a go with the online booking system earlier and made a mock booking for a Phuket-Penang-Phuket flight, going out on April 16 (this coming Monday) and coming back on April 18. Fore the outgoing flight, the system gave the lowest fare of RM39, and on the incoming flight there still was a free seat available. What I didn't like much though is that it only gives you the total price, including taxes and surcharges, after you enter the passenger details etc. This should be clear from the very beginning, in my opinion.

Also, when initially selecting the 'from' airport, it keeps listing all the destinations in the 'to' field. Sure, we all know that the flights are from and to Penang. But for clarity's sake and customer convenience, I think it shouldn't list all these destinations but just the one(s) you can choose to fly to.

Also, when initially selecting the 'from' airport, it keeps listing all the destinations in the 'to' field. Sure, we all know that the flights are from and to Penang. But for clarity's sake and customer convenience, I think it shouldn't list all these destinations but just the one(s) you can choose to fly to.

are you mean the sistem used by AirAsia?

are you mean the sistem used by AirAsia?

Does AK operate between HKT-PEN ??? :huh: :nea:

this is my first time fly with FireFly from PEN to Langkawi

ff1.jpg

FY3001 from Kota Bharu

ff3.jpg

Ready to Check In

ff4.jpg

Good Service!!!

ff5.jpg

ff6.jpg

Ticketing!

Edited by pyan_cgt

More Pyan! Did you get to see Pulau Payar during the flight? I like that island very much for its marine life. I believe it is the only marine park on the west coast.

PEN - LGK..... hhhmmmm....

I prefer water craft...

depend on you...

for me, better take flight to Langkawi

CAR

-----

Fuel = RM100 (2 way)

Toll = RM60 (2 way)

Other (Eat, RR ect) = RM50

Parking Fees (3 Days) = RM100

Ferry = RM30

Taxi = RM30

TOTAL =RM370 ++ penat

FireFly

-------

Ticket RM200 (2way)

Taxi RM30

TOTAL RM230

Although I would like to take the ferry for the fun of it, I don't feel comfortable leaving my car either at Kuala Kedah or Kuala Perlis jetties. A friend of mine had his car's bumper stolen while parked at Kuala Perlis.

During school holidays, a school at Kg Seberang Nyonya near Kuala Kedah makes its compound available for public parking, run by its PIBG (PTA). I feel that is better than other public parking places.

For single travellers, flying is cheaper than driving anywhere in the peninsular. But of course not on MH full Y fare.

Sign in to follow this