MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS Will Launch A New Airline, "Firefly"

Guest Levent
Booking thru phone and MAS offices can be made now. The online booking is the one that starts on May. So u can book now. :yahoo:

So... anyone booked with them yet? :clapping: Surely someone must have tried to grab one of those free seats by now! :drinks:

So... anyone booked with them yet? :clapping: Surely someone must have tried to grab one of those free seats by now! :drinks:

with unused points in my ENRICH account, can I use it to book my FIREFLY ticket? PEN - HKT maybe?

If everything goes as planned, I shall be on the inaugural flight FY 3000 PEN-KBR on 3rd April. I was told that the first flight to KBR will be on the 3rd, and not 2nd.

There was confusion on the morning of 19th March, the first day of ticket sales. Apparently FireFlyz miscommunicated with MAS ticketing offices that tickets can be issued for journeys on and after 13th April, and initially MAS KL offices could not issue tickets for journeys earlier than that. After many calls to and fro between me and FireFlyz, between me and MAS KL Sultan Ismail office, KL Sentral office, MAS 1-300-88-3000 call centre, and between FireFlyz and MAS offices, only at 3pm on the 19th of March was clarification was given to all MAS ticket offices that tickets can be sold for journeys from 3rd April onwards. What a day it was for me! Finally I got my ticket issued at KL Sentral office later in the evening.

I did not get free tickets, but just paid RM29 + RM46 taxes for the one way trip, returning to KUL via MH.

It will be a historic flight, and I must be there for MAS!

Man.... you really go the distance, eh... congrats...

yea... TR and lot of photos. the aircraft, in/exterior, posterior (can meh?), the view. yes, the view... make sure the ticket is a window seat...

Guest Levent

Hi guys,

I am trying to get hold of the Malaysia Airlines PR department with a query about Firefly. I tried to contact Tan Wai Fong, whose name and email are on the earlier published press release, but he or she does not answer my email. Emails to MAS PR's general address media@mas.com.my are returned because their inbox is full... very bad, in my opinion. So I suppose that leaves the telephone or fax, but... do anyone of you by any chance know someone at MAS, or preferably Firefly itself, who I could contact in a more direct manner?

Will do Mushrif, Yusoff, once I get back from KBR. I think I'll use all my imaging equipment i.e. video, digital camera and film camera to record the event.

I wonder what to expect en route. Some folks at MAS say FY is 'low cost', some say 'commuter'. Could there be snacks for the journey?! The fun is in the guessing I think.

By the way, FY will be free seating, and according to the electronic ticket, baggage allowance is 20kg, as opposed to 15kg during MH times.

Rozhan, do you have any idea on Firefly's inaugural flight ETA at KBR? :pardon: :pardon:

Depart PEN at 0655, arrive KBR 0750. But I don't think it will take almost 1 hour to arrive... maybe to factor in slight delays due to weather etc.

There is uncornfimed report that the launch of Firefly will be delayed to the 4th of April. So Rozhan and everybody else, please check it out.

There is uncornfimed report that the launch of Firefly will be delayed to the 4th of April. So Rozhan and everybody else, please check it out.

NOT AGAIN...!?!? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Any idea why?? :help: :help: :help:

Thanks Radzi. I called FY immediately after reading this (without quoting anyone) and the person at FireFlyz said the schedule is on and not delayed. Well I hope there will be no delays as I have a flight from KUL to PEN on the 2nd just to catch FireFlyz , and connecting flight from KBR to KUL on the 4th and I want to spend a day in Kota Bharu shopping.

De ja vu ....Pelangi air.

So, what has changed with Firefly that wasn't there with Pelangiair, to make it work? Fully-depreciated aircraft?

So, Asmara Air is buried for good?

Really hope the airline doesn't turn out to be another 'Pelangi Air'... :nea:

dont worry, the boss of Pelangi Air is running a flying school now....hahaha... :lol:

nobody will srewed that again...

Thanks Radzi. I called FY immediately after reading this (without quoting anyone) and the person at FireFlyz said the schedule is on and not delayed. Well I hope there will be no delays as I have a flight from KUL to PEN on the 2nd just to catch FireFlyz , and connecting flight from KBR to KUL on the 4th and I want to spend a day in Kota Bharu shopping.

Don't think there is a delay. Both F50 is ready and will depart SZB for PEN on 2nd of April at 0900 and 0910 respectively. The first aircraft will be a VVIP flight while the 2nd aircraft will follow as a normal ferry flight.

There was no delay before this as far as i know..

Advertised to start 2 April, but GDS indicate only on the 3rd. Then they messed up ticket travel dates info to MAS ticketing offices as what I experienced first hand. Took 6 hours to rectify mistake. MAS ticket officer even told me they only got to know details of FY's fare structure etc on the morning of 19 March, the very day tickets are to be sold... hence even MAS offices had not enough time to digest information.

Apart from that FY quoted me via telephone different airfare (RM163 all inclusive), but MAS ticket office at Jln Sultan Ismail offered me the lowest fare (RM75 all inclusive) on the same flight on the same day.

Thanks for the update Samsyuri. Anyway I have a feeling that this is the start of big things for MAS in the domestic sector.

Edited by Rozhan

Guest Levent

The MAS PR and HR departments have confirmed the programme around Firefly's inauguration. On Monday the 2nd there is a VIP media event at Penang from 0930 to 1330 or so, including the arrival of the two F50's as mentioned by Samsyuri above. Then there is the inaugural flight to Kota Bharu on Tuesday morning with invited media members *including me!* followed by another ceremony in KBR and a programme for the rest of the day, and the flight back to PEN in the evening.

Then there is the inaugural flight to Kota Bharu on Tuesday morning with invited media members *including me!*

So, you're on the same flight as Rozhan ? :huh:

Guys, share your experiences, lor :pardon:

Guest Levent
So, you're on the same flight as Rozhan ? :huh:

Guys, share your experiences, lor :pardon:

Yep, that's right! I am sure that our combined reports will provide the most comprehensive story on Firefly on the world wide web! :yahoo:

Rozhan, I am a dark, hairy guy, 1.75m tall, and will be wearing khaki chinos and a lightblue or darkblue shirt, in case you are wondering... Oh yeah, and with a black camera bag of course! :pardon:

Wow big timer Levent

U representing which printing press ?

I am freelance and have secured a few magazines for this story, including Airliner World and Airports of the World, as well as the Dutch online aviation news directory Luchtvaartnieuws.nl. Airways magazine in the US is also interested but they want first worldwide rights, so I am not sure I will do that... While the Airliner story will focus on Firefly, the Airports article will have Penang and Kota Bharu airports as its main subject.

While the Airliner story will focus on Firefly, the Airports article will have Penang and Kota Bharu airports as its main subject.

Looking forward to both articles in those magazines, as well as the Luchtvaartnieuws- and MalaysianWings websites :good:

I am freelance and have secured a few magazines for this story, including Airliner World and Airports of the World, as well as the Dutch online aviation news directory Luchtvaartnieuws.nl. Airways magazine in the US is also interested but they want first worldwide rights, so I am not sure I will do that... While the Airliner story will focus on Firefly, the Airports article will have Penang and Kota Bharu airports as its main subject.

I'm a big fan of Airports of the World magazine..cant wait to read your coverage.. :yahoo:

Guest Levent
I'm a big fan of Airports of the World magazine..cant wait to read your coverage.. :yahoo:

Did you read my Samui article in the January/February issue? It's a shame that it is a bi-monthly magazine... my head is full with article ideas but it takes a long time to see them in print with these guys! Luckily Airliner World also accepts airport stories.

Sign in to follow this