MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS Will Launch A New Airline, "Firefly"

The links inside second photo pyan_cgt are still dead ...

Doesn't matter since their launch promotion is 2000 free seats.

Is the insurance charge compulsary ? :help: Not that it's much, though, but still additional :angry:

Normally, that's an option overhere in EU :huh:

4.3 Government Taxes, Charges and Insurance Surcharge: Any taxes, charges or insurance surcharge imposed on air travel by the Government, relevant authority or the airport operator (in whichever country or locality) in respect of Passenger�s use of any of our services or facilities will be in addition to our fares, administration fees and charges and shall be borne by Passenger,

That quote is from Firefly T&C. I guess Insurance Surcharge is compulsory. What to do? :(

Insurance Surcharge has been imposed basically by all airlines after 911.

After 911, insurance underwriters are imposing hefty insurance surcharges on all commercial airlines thus airlines just passed these additional premiums in the form of 'insurance surchage' to it's passangers.

It's entirely different (commercial insurance) compared to 'Traveller's Travel Insurance' (personal insurance and of course it's optional since it's personal).

Edited by Seng Lim

Firefly official press released:

http://www.fireflyz.com.my/news-releases/m...irline-firefly/

Some new info from the press released:

Chinese MD, Online booking will only starts in May (prior to that have to call or walk-in in selected MAS offices).

Managing Director, Mr Eddy Leong

Bookings will start Monday, 19 March. Tickets can be purchased from its 24-hour call centre, 03-7845 4543 and MAS’ ticketing office in Penang, Kuala Lumpur, KLIA, Kota Bahru, Terengganu, Kuantan and Langkawi.Tickets will be available on its website, www.fireflyz.com.my from mid May.

Guest Levent
Bookings will start Monday, 19 March. Tickets can be purchased from its 24-hour call centre, 03-7845 4543 and MAS’ ticketing office in Penang, Kuala Lumpur, KLIA, Kota Bahru, Terengganu, Kuantan and Langkawi.Tickets will be available on its website, www.fireflyz.com.my from mid May.

That's quite bad, they would have much better sales with online bookings, in my opinion. Then again, I wonder how long they have been planning this new operation? It sounds as it has been a quick job. I mean, launching a website only two weeks before the first flight?

They do have the aircraft available, don't they???

Guest Levent

I would like to send a message to the press officer mentioned at the bottom of the press release, but I don't know whether it's a man or a woman - so that I can address him or her correctly. The name is Tan Wai Fong. Please help!

Tan Wai Fong can be male or female, can only be differentiate from chinese character however it's not 100% accurate (parent can always give their daughter a male name if they are too desperate to have a son or wished to have a son) Made a call to check out would be the best way if you insist to address them correctly.

Anyone seen their safety cards yet? It's under the Our Fleet.

Not surprisingly it's exactly the same with MH's old card.

Let me see if I'm right...additional charges for international flights amount to RM173.40. That means a return ticket from say, Penang to Koh Samui would cost RM424.80? Guess whoever it was wasn't kidding when he said Firefly wouldn't be a budget airline.

Edited by W Goh

Guest Levent
Tan Wai Fong can be male or female, can only be differentiate from chinese character however it's not 100% accurate (parent can always give their daughter a male name if they are too desperate to have a son or wished to have a son) Made a call to check out would be the best way if you insist to address them correctly.

Thanks for your reply. My, how complicated. Well, I guess at least the parents don't have to be thinking all the time about a name for either a girl or a boy... :D

Let me see if I'm right...additional charges for international flights amount to RM173.40. That means a return ticket from say, Penang to Koh Samui would cost RM424.80? Guess whoever it was wasn't kidding when he said Firefly wouldn't be a budget airline.

That's right, Firefly never claimed themselves as LCC, they are "Malaysia’s first community airline" you can check it out from all their intro and press released.

That's right, Firefly never claimed themselves as LCC, they are "Malaysia’s first community airline" you can check it out from all their intro and press released.

I am so confused. Eddy Leong said it will be a "no frills" airline a.k.a low cost airlines. :help:

"We are a no-frills airline, offering point-to-point travel with fares from as low as RM9. Firefly is about taking people off the roads, ferries and boats and getting them to their destination faster."

From http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sun...icle/index_html

Here is Firefly's intro:

Firefly is Malaysia’s first community airline, offering safe, affordable and comfortable flying experience to exclusive travel routes, making flying with us a fun and smart choice for our guests.

Its about time MH started a new airlines, to fight the dominance and arrogance ness of AK. Hopefully, they can follow the foot steps of Quantas which started of Jet Star with 2 old 727-200 birds. Now they have 20 new A320 & a few A320-200 flying for Jet Star.

Good Luck

Guest Levent
Its about time MH started a new airlines, to fight the dominance and arrogance ness of AK.

Air Asia jumped into a market which was clearly there and MAS wouldn't or couldn't get involved in. Many people are now able to fly who previously couldn't because of too high fares. So I think Air Asia is a very good thing for Malaysia and South-East Asia. Look at Ryanair, how they evolved from virtually nothing to the largest LCC in Europe, and a truly pan-European one too.

is it true that firefly might be utilizing some of MAS aging B734's soon?

Maybe they'll expand their fleet by initially taking over old 737's and later order new 737NG's or A319's/A320's?

Any of you booked a flight on Firefly yet?

follow the foot steps of Quantas which started of Jet Star with 2 old 727-200 birds.

It's Boeing 717 which is previously owned by Impulse Airline which Qantas took over and QF created Jetstar a few years later and put those B717 into JQ service.

Any of you booked a flight on Firefly yet?

Booking doesn't start until May :)

Are you talking about tinking about booking with Firefly when it starts in May? :huh: :help:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Booking doesn't start until May :)

Are you talking about tinking about booking with Firefly when it starts in May? :huh: :help:

Booking thru phone and MAS offices can be made now. The online booking is the one that starts on May. So u can book now. :yahoo:

It is not serving East Malaysia :(

Yeah, too bad they don't serve E Malaysia. KCH used to be a Fokker heaven until the rationalisation took place. All of the sudden the F50's are nowhere to be seen... Maybe Firefly can do KCH-PON route previously served by MAS? ;) Batavia still flies this route so I guess the load must be quite healthy?!

Sign in to follow this