MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Garuda Mishap at Yogyakarta Airport

Crash-landed about 8.15am MY time today at Bandara Adi Sucipto, Yogya. Burning and passengers still trapped. That's all I gather thus far.

Flight # GA200, B737-400. CGK-JOG.

There are survivors. That's all from me - gotta leave for Saigon now.

+++

Edited by Naim

A bit more info.

Reg. PK-GZC

133 passengers

Capt. Marwoto

+++

News release from CNN:

Indonesian jet crashes, bursts into flames

Story Highlights

• Casualties reported

• Plane overshot runway, Yogyakarta official says

• Flight number reported to be a Jakarta-to-Yogyakarta flight

• Crash occurs a day after an earthquake hit Indonesia

JAKARTA, Indonesia (Reuters) -- A jet from Indonesia's state carrier Garuda crashed and burst into flames on landing at Yogyakarta airport on Wednesday morning, an airline spokesman said.

He gave no other details, but the Indonesia state news agency Antara said the plane crashed and exploded at 0700 (0000 GMT) and passengers were trapped inside the burning fuselage.

"It is true that a plane caught fire while landing. It happened when it overshot beyond the runway and burst into flames," Yogyakarta provincial secretary Bambang Susanto told Reuters through texted messages.

"The number of passengers is still unclear but we know that there are passengers being treated at the air force hospital," he added.

The make and type of the aircraft was not immediately available, but Antara said the flight number was GA-200, which would be a Jakarta-to-Yogyakarta flight.

Indonesia has suffered from a string of transport accidents in recent months, including an Adam Air plane that disappeared in January with 102 passengers and crew on board, and a ferry sinking in late December in which hundreds died.

One after another crash and this time involved Garuda somemore, that's really bad to the country's image.

20 people are dead from the crash :( :

JAKARTA, Indonesia - A jetliner carrying more than 130 passengers and crew caught fire Wednesday as it landed on Indonesia's Java island, trapping a number of people inside the burning plane, the airline and witnesses said. Officials reported at least 20 deaths.

Some passengers escaped and rescuers battled flames to reach those still on the Boeing 737-400, said Capt. Ari Sapari, operations director of national carrier Garuda.

Fire fighters put out the blaze after two hours. Sapari did not say how many people were trapped or provide a number on survivors.

"I saw at least eight corpses piled up at the front of the plane," said Capt. Yos Biantoro, who witnessed the fire at Yogyakarta airport in central Java.

Several passengers told local media that there were many survivors. Metro TV reported that a nearby hospital was treating around 60 injured.

"It caught alight when it landed," said Sapari. He didn't provide any other details. The cause of the accident was unclear, but at least one passenger said the jetliner had overshot the runway.

BBC World television carried footage of raging flames poking through several windows of the passenger compartment. Witnesses said the aircraft had been gutted.

Metro TV said that 133 people were listed on the plane's manifest.

Among the passengers were Australian journalists and diplomatic staff who were in Indonesia in connection with a visit by Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, said Australian Treasurer Peter Costello in Canberra. The foreign minister was not on the plane.

"There appears to have been a significant loss of life," said Australian Prime Minister John Howard. "There were up to 10 Australians on board and not all of those have been accounted for."

One passenger who survived told local TV station RCTI TV that "before landing I felt the plane shake strongly."

"We overshot the runway, then I heard the sound of an explosion and ran through an emergency exit," continued passenger Muhammad Dimyati. "I believe many passengers remained trapped on board."

Another passenger described smoke in the passenger compartment.

"Suddenly there was smoke inside the fuselage," said Dien Syamsudin, a local Islamic leader. "It hit the runway and then it landed in a rice field. ... I saw a foreigner. His clothes were on fire and I jumped from the emergency exit. Thank God I survived."

Indonesia has been hit by a string of transportation disasters in recent months. In late December, a passenger ferry sank in a storm in the Java Sea, killing more than 400 people. Days later, a passenger plane operated by the budget airline Adam Air crashed into the ocean, killing all 102 people on board. A ship that sank near the capital's port left at least 50 dead.

The government responded by saying it would ban local commercial airlines from operating planes more than 10 years old, though most experts say maintenance and the number of takeoffs and landings are the most important factors in preventing accidents.

r2578205439.jpg?

This is unbelievable. Words fail me.

This was the last photo I ever took of PK-GZC, 7th Dec 06 (GA821 KUL-CGK):

PK-GZC.jpg

...scary... :cry:

My sincerest apologies to the families of the victims, they have now become yet another statistic the Indonesian Gov't will fail to do something RATIONAL about!

UPDATE: the death toll goes up to 49 :blink: :( :

Plane Catches Fire In Indonesia, At Least 49 Die

(AP) JAKARTA, Indonesia A jetliner carrying more than 100 people caught fire Wednesday as it landed on Indonesia's Java island and at least 49 deaths have been confirmed, while others were believed trapped inside the burning plane, airline officials said.

Some passengers escaped and rescuers were trying to reach any others aboard the Boeing 737-400, said Capt. Ari Sapari, operations director of national carrier Garuda. He said the number still on was not immediately known.

Several passengers told local media that there were many survivors. Metro TV reported that a nearby hospital was treating around 60 injured.

"It caught alight when it landed," said Sapari. He didn't provide any other details. The cause of the accident was unclear, but at least one passenger said the jetliner had overshot the runway.

"I saw at least eight corpses piled up at the front of the plane," said Capt. Yos Biantoro, who witnessed the fire at Yogyakarta airport in central Java.

The plane was carrying a number of Australian journalists and diplomatic staff who were in Indonesia in connection with a visit by Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, said Australian Treasurer Peter Costello in Canberra. The foreign minister was not on the plane.

One passenger who survived told local TV station RCTI TV that "before landing I felt the plane shake strongly."

"We overshot the runway, then I heard the sound of an explosion and ran through an emergency exit," continued passenger Muhammad Dimyati. "I believe many passengers remained trapped on board."

Another passenger described smoke in the passenger compartment.

"Suddenly there was smoke inside the fuselage," said Dien Syamsudin, a local Islamic leader. "It hit the runway and then it landed in a rice field. ... I saw a foreigner. His clothes were on fire and I jumped from the emergency exit. Thank God I survived."

Its so sad!!! My..my...one after another. My condolences to the families of those who died. :(

Oh dear... in just a matter of a short period so many air crashes in Indon... i wonder wat is happening.... scary

Just watch the interview with victims on TV news . According the interview they claims that the plane approach too fast until overshot to paddy field!!! :sorry: :help:

Watched TV3 news just now. Post crash scene was recorded on camera by an Australian cameraman. Scores of injured people were taken out, some of them rescuing themselves by walking away from the wreckage. The aircraft was still burning. However some sort of engine sound was still heard (or is it APU)???

What a sad sight..Condolence to the families :(

IndoAirAsia, Lion Air & (especially :angry: ) Merpati better be careful now

With all this incidents, I wonder what the people at Department of Transport doing right now :rolleyes:

Condelences to the families.................

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this