MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Daniel Ng

Turkish Airlines Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 25 April 2013; Twice Daily from 31 May 2016

Needs more reasons other than just providing the tourists with better airport facilities, better security and safety... commercial viability and attractions for tourist. In terms of cultural tourism, I guess Yangon has more to offer compared to KL.

Malaysia as a multi racial and cultural country, I don't suppose Yangon beats us on that.

Malaysia as a multi racial and cultural country, I don't suppose Yangon beats us on that.

For some reason, it doesn't appeal much to most foreigners. It is most likely because it is way too "rojak" already and deemed not "authentic" enough to them. When i think of a culturally rich country in this part of the globe, Thailand is the first that springs into my mind.

For some reason, it doesn't appeal much to most foreigners. It is most likely because it is way too "rojak" already and deemed not "authentic" enough to them. When i think of a culturally rich country in this part of the globe, Thailand is the first that springs into my mind.

'

correct! no need for them to come to our country to see all those things simply because they can get them somewhere else. Even at their own country, America for example. More multiracial than our nation

Very short cultural history compared to many other countries. The bulk of the country's cultural foundation is mostly based on colonial cultural and mentality. In recent years there seemed to be an abandonment of vernacular cultural for foreign, for example, western culture and emphasis on islam. Check the language side of things you will find the same too. It is too multicultural or "mixed up" for foreigners liking as Isaac had pointed out. Try and get Malaysian to speak authentically Iin a language they know, it is fast becoming a mission impossible. The Thais and Japanese for examples, do not speak english that well. Does it bother tourists that much? There are many tourists that do not speak good English themselves. Tourists are not colonial masters, they will still visit your country if it is attractive enough.

I wouldn't be too proud on the multicultural or multiracial side of things, because it involved taking something from one group and give it to other group. The racial relationship is very fragile actually. Other countries like the USA and Australia. They are also multiracial and even more actually as Dean had pointed out. There is not much of a surprise for them. Good marketing tool for Tuorism Malaysia perhaps, but actually nobody cares other than Malaysian, Chinese and Indian.

Edited by S V Choong

I think you guys have gone too far and have involved irrelevant nations in this topic, it's supposedly between Turkish to Yangon or KL and yet you guys have dragged in Thailand, USA, Australia, etc....

This is the Tourist Arrival of Turkish to Malaysia vs Turkish to Myanmar..

There's no specific record for Turkish to Myanmar or if they were categorised under middle east? which recorded 2607 persons arrival in year 2011 compared to Turkish to Malaysia at 8577 in year 2011? Turkey could be middle east and could be Europe too, always the tricky part.

http://corporate.tourism.gov.my/images/research/pdf/2011/TouristArrivals_JanDec_2011.pdf

http://www.myanmartourism.org/journals/Tourism%20Statistics%202011.pdf

So guys, say it with facts! Not just your personal your opinions!

Yangon? Shwedagon Pagoda alone is worth more than all of KL's attractions combined! Not to mention the lure of a mysterious hermit republic opening up. :-)

Burma economy has been closed for over 50 years, has a sizable population and natural resources, with the economy opening up, support of U.S., E.U., Japan and China, there are many business and investment opportunities available. If the current trend continue, Burma GDP is likely to be larger than Malaysia in 20 years time.

Burma economy has been closed for over 50 years, has a sizable population and natural resources, with the economy opening up, support of U.S., E.U., Japan and China, there are many business and investment opportunities available. If the current trend continue, Burma GDP is likely to be larger than Malaysia in 20 years time.

To say this is very subjective. Don't forget Myanmar's politic just recently becoming stable and CNN has also posted 5 signs why Myanmar is gradually becoming a safe and convenient place to visit. Don't be surprised the signs are very basic convenience like first highway, first ATM, first foreign money to be accepted and even sign of freedom, Posters of Aung San Suu Kyi are now allowed to be distributed freely. http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/escape/5-signs-myanmar-becoming-easier-travelers-126618

There're also investors claiming with Malaysia's GDP's growth, Malaysia can emulate and overcome many high income nations in another few decades, etc. But these are all just presumption based on the trend of the economy. The economy is very fragile and when it was hit by the recession, a developed nation like South Korea could be the first nation to declare bankruptcy.

Burma was arguably the most advanced/prosperous nation in SEA early last century. It's a sleeping giant. Nice hardworking ppl, full of resources ... if only they find oil!

---

Colonial era (1885 - 1948)

During British occupation, Burma was the wealthiest country in Southeast Asia. It was also once the world's largest exporter of rice. During British administration, Burma supplied oil through the Burmah Oil Company. Burma also had a wealth of natural and labor resources. It produced 75% of the world's teak and had a highly literate population.[11] The country was believed to be on the fast track to development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Burma

Edited by Naim

I think you guys have gone too far and have involved irrelevant nations in this topic, it's supposedly between Turkish to Yangon or KL and yet you guys have dragged in Thailand, USA, Australia, etc....

This is the Tourist Arrival of Turkish to Malaysia vs Turkish to Myanmar..

There's no specific record for Turkish to Myanmar or if they were categorised under middle east? which recorded 2607 persons arrival in year 2011 compared to Turkish to Malaysia at 8577 in year 2011? Turkey could be middle east and could be Europe too, always the tricky part.

http://corporate.tourism.gov.my/images/research/pdf/2011/TouristArrivals_JanDec_2011.pdf

http://www.myanmartourism.org/journals/Tourism%20Statistics%202011.pdf

So guys, say it with facts! Not just your personal your opinions!

Why would you want to compare Myanmar to Malaysia anyway? Myanmar was until recently a relatively closed country. Wouldnt make any sense to compare it with them.

Edited by S V Choong

Why would you want to compare Myanmar to Malaysia anyway? Myanmar was until recently a relatively closed country. Wouldnt make any sense to compare it with them.

Oh my Goodness, would you refer back the earlier post??

Oh my Goodness, would you refer back the earlier post??

You are comparing Apple with oranges is what I am getting at.

Edited by S V Choong

To say this is very subjective. Don't forget Myanmar's politic just recently becoming stable and CNN has also posted 5 signs why Myanmar is gradually becoming a safe and convenient place to visit. Don't be surprised the signs are very basic convenience like first highway, first ATM, first foreign money to be accepted and even sign of freedom, Posters of Aung San Suu Kyi are now allowed to be distributed freely. http://travel.cnn.co...ravelers-126618

First ATM ? It's not really that bad. I believe they have always had it. I saw an ad somewhere a few days ago that Malaysian ATM/debit card can now be used to withdraw cash at ATM in Myanmar :D

The economy is very fragile and when it was hit by the recession, a developed nation like South Korea could be the first nation to declare bankruptcy.

We were in the brink of bankruptcy too. But then, the most important thing is, just how long did it take to get you on your feet again.

Our economy was much better than South Korea back in the 60s-70s. Our GDP was also higher than South Korea. South Korea went to IMF but we didn't. But who is doing better now ? South Korea isn't just doing better, they are doing much much better than many Asian countries that were so close to going to IMF for helps but did not. Even Indonesia is doing better than... There are these jokes circulating on the internet that in a few decades, Malaysian will have to go to Indonesia and work as house maid. A lot of things can happen in a few decades, so never say never. South Korea has always been a culturally rich country but it was so backward in terms of economy. And as you said, it even went bankrupt once. But hey, look at them now :drinks:

First ATM ? It's not really that bad. I believe they have always had it. I saw an ad somewhere a few days ago that Malaysian ATM/debit card can now be used to withdraw cash at ATM in Myanmar :D

We were in the brink of bankruptcy too. But then, the most important thing is, just how long did it take to get you on your feet again.

Our economy was much better than South Korea back in the 60s-70s. Our GDP was also higher than South Korea. South Korea went to IMF but we didn't. But who is doing better now ? South Korea isn't just doing better, they are doing much much better than many Asian countries that were so close to going to IMF for helps but did not. Even Indonesia is doing better than... There are these jokes circulating on the internet that in a few decades, Malaysian will have to go to Indonesia and work as house maid. A lot of things can happen in a few decades, so never say never. South Korea has always been a culturally rich country but it was so backward in terms of economy. And as you said, it even went bankrupt once. But hey, look at them now :drinks:

Malaysia is in fact a very rich country with rich natural resources and strategic location... but... sigh, I don't think I want to elaborate further here... :D

India is also very rich in natural and human resources, but no thanks to poor mgmt & too much politicking ... enough said. Hope we don't have to go down that path.

Malaysia is in fact a very rich country with rich natural resources and strategic location... but... sigh, I don't think I want to elaborate further here... :D

Yes it is, but squandered by those who are running the country...

If rich translates to wealth, then I think other developed countries must be super filthy rich.

This discussion has already gone off track as is, doesnt need more elaboration to steer it off track. :)

Edited by S V Choong

Burma was arguably the most advanced/prosperous nation in SEA early last century. It's a sleeping giant. Nice hardworking ppl, full of resources ... if only they find oil!

According to Burmese newspaper a few years ago, they are exporting about US$5 billion per month worth of gas to Thailand.

There're also investors claiming with Malaysia's GDP's growth, Malaysia can emulate and overcome many high income nations in another few decades, etc.

With the current gomen in power and education system, it is unlikely.

According to Burmese newspaper a few years ago, they are exporting about US$5 billion per month worth of gas to Thailand.

Yes, but no real petroleum find. Car fuel is expensive, and rationed.

===

Yes, but no real petroleum find. Car fuel is expensive, and rationed.

From my last visit, only subsidized fuel is rationed else is freely available at market price.

I have dicsussed one of my friend who was working as a station manager in THY about "while even flies to unknown African cities,why TK doesn't fly to KUL?". answer was very complex; first of all, need some agreement between Malaysia and Turkey about slot permission. Also Malaysia airlines is a good opportunity on this route and passanger volume is reasonable. THY won't to make a challenge with Malaysia for KUL. But there is some options for future becouse of THY is making plan to fly Australia. Even they woould be use new 777-300ER, they need a technical stop somewhere. KUL is a good option at that time but Singapore may could be acceptable option still.(for transit passangers)

So, it is a big mistake to use petronas towers on the advertise, advertisement agent must be carefull about that. Nowadays THY releases new routes continent of America (both, south and north) and increase frequents. New 777-300ER orders to Boeing also dealing is continue with Airbus for new A350 instead B787 (I don't know why they don't interest B787!) . Also new A32Xneo and new B737NGX series interested by Turkish airlines future fleet scheme.

I believing, if Turkish airlines continue to buy 777 and A330-300 , KUL will be add a new destination soon.

As far as I know, they used A310 and flight was Singapore via Kualalumpur. I don't remember A340 to KUL. Maybe for a short term before suspended to route. Probably "profit issues" to suspend reason or just only route management/company desicion.

As far as I know, they used A310 and flight was Singapore via Kualalumpur. I don't remember A340 to KUL. Maybe for a short term before suspended to route. Probably "profit issues" to suspend reason or just only route management/company desicion.

I saw TK 343 at the satellite terminal before. I think I even had its picture taken. It was in the early 2000s, if I'm not mistaken.

bro Hakan, Turkey used to be a world power. I don't discount them becoming a world power again. :D