MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Daniel Ng

Turkish Airlines Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 25 April 2013; Twice Daily from 31 May 2016

More news from Jim Liu's website:

Turkish Airlines in last Fridays schedule update made additional adjustment for Istanbul Ataturk Kuala Lumpur route for flights in 2017, effective from 08JAN17.

From 08JAN17 (Istanbul Ataturk departure), overall service will be reduced from 10 to 7 weekly, as the airline operates last TK062/063 service on 07/08JAN17. From 27MAR17, the existing TK060/061 service will switch from A330-300 to Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Schedule listed below is effective from 27MAR17.

TK060 IST0130 1655KUL 77W D

TK061 KUL2335 0515+1IST 77W D

Looks like another last minute switch cos Tokyo is back to 333 instead of 77W

Edited by Izanee

Turkish Airlines W17 long-haul changes as of 14JUN17

Turkish Airlines in last week’s schedule update adjusted planned winter 2017/18 long-haul service, which sees minor changes. Planned changes as of 14JUN17 as follows :-

Istanbul Ataturk – Kuala Lumpur Previously planned A330-300 daily service has modified to following:

333 Day 457 77W Day x457

Looks like a downgrade could be a sign of an eventual departure given the current circumstances.

Turkish Airlines W17 long-haul changes as of 14JUN17

Turkish Airlines in last week’s schedule update adjusted planned winter 2017/18 long-haul service, which sees minor changes. Planned changes as of 14JUN17 as follows :-

Istanbul Ataturk – Kuala Lumpur Previously planned A330-300 daily service has modified to following:

333 Day 457 77W Day x457

Looks like a downgrade could be a sign of an eventual departure given the current circumstances.

Huh? That actually looks like an upgrade. Instead of planned 333 everyday, four days you get the larger 77W.

It is currently daily 77W...

what is the current circumstance that you mean? I thought TK was doing well in KUL

Edited by Izanee

Actually they have been operating with a B77W for a couple of months now but now have plans to change aircraft for KUL to a mix of A333 and B77W. I am unsure if that means it is a downgrade but I assume it might be.

I also believe they were doing well in KUL hence their upgrade of frequency into KUL with a second flight on certain days. However, with the latest on safety concerns at IST, many passengers are flying via another transit instead. Left to be seen.

Huh? That actually looks like an upgrade. Instead of planned 333 everyday, four days you get the larger 77W.

Correct.

Actually they have been operating with a B77W for a couple of months now but now have plans to change aircraft for KUL to a mix of A333 and B77W. I am unsure if that means it is a downgrade but I assume it might be.

It was 77W for summer and 333 for winter. TK will upgauge 4 of the 7 333 flights to 77W. Winter is generally a slow travel season other than Christmas/NY period (plus CNY too but TK does't really carry CNY traffic to/from KUL).

Thank you for the information guys, learn new stuff every day. Turkish Airlines seems to be a very lean airlines and very responsive to its external factors. When Turkey was hit with multiple unpleasant events for past few years, the management reacted fast by grounding fleet, realign capacity and drop route. They also have several narrow and wide body aircraft leaving the fleet this year so capacity is well managed.

I took them last month to LHR in J after I managed to get a very good deal (RM6K). Outbound the flight was very full however less so inbound. Was pretty impressed by them and a useful option to collect star alliance points.

It is currently daily 77W...

what is the current circumstance that you mean? I thought TK was doing well in KUL

TK generally gets quite a lot of feed from Western Europe but due to (IMHO serious) political trouble with the EU and because IST has reached a not so stellar reputation in recent times because of almost permanent congestion at IST they are loosing market share.

That has obviously some impact on loads on IST-KUL as well ...

It is something no-one can blame on the local IST-KUL market/demand. People seem to book (at least in part) on other airlines now.

TK generally gets quite a lot of feed from Western Europe but due to (IMHO serious) political trouble with the EU and because IST has reached a not so stellar reputation in recent times because of almost permanent congestion at IST they are loosing market share.

That has obviously some impact on loads on IST-KUL as well ...

It is something no-one can blame on the local IST-KUL market/demand. People seem to book (at least in part) on other airlines now.

The laptop/ipad ban is a pain and we had a large power bank taken away :(

All sectors had an airbridge and no noticeable congestion occured.

Would definitely fly them again (especially at that price)

Turkish Airlines S18 Long-haul changes as of 10NOV17

Turkish Airlines in recent weeks made additional changes to its planned summer 2018 long-haul service, effective from 25MAR18. Planned changes as of 10NOV17 as follows.

Istanbul Ataturk – Kuala Lumpur eff 07MAY18 A330-300 replaces 777-300ER, 1 daily

Turkish Airlines plans Boeing 787 Kuala Lumpur service from May 2020

Turkish Airlines in last week’s schedule update filed additional Boeing 787-9-operating service in summer 2020. Based on the weekend of 05MAY19’s OAG schedules update, Istanbul – Kuala Lumpur service is now scheduled with Boeing 787 from 12MAY20, replacing A330-300.

Current schedule is listed until 04JUN20.

TK060 IST0130 – 1715KUL 789 D
TK061 KUL2305 – 0505+1IST 789 D

Source : https://www.routesonline.com/news/

From airlineroute.net:

Turkish Airlines increases Kuala Lumpur flights from June 2020

By Jim Liu

Posted25 July 2019 04:00

Share this article

Turkish Airlines from June 2020 plans to increase service to Malaysia, announced by the airline and opened for reservation last week. From 09JUN20, Istanbul Kuala Lumpur service will increase from 7 to 11 weekly, on board Boeing 787-9 aircraft.

TK060 IST0130 1715KUL 789 D

TK062 IST1845 0955+1KUL 789 x135

TK063 KUL1125 1640IST 789 x246

TK061 KUL2305 0455+1IST 789 D

TK062/063 to be operated by A330-300 from 11AUG20.

Funny that TK can increase their flights to 11 weekly, and yet a few years ago MH cancelled their IST flights.

(My profile photo is taken during one of the IST flight)

Edited by Radzi

Funny that TK can increase their flights to 11 weekly, and yet a few years ago MH cancelled their IST flights.

Obviously TK has the advantage of feed in IST that can contribute to the bottom line for their KUL flights.

MH didn't.

The weak (and continued depreciation of) Turkish Lira isn't helping and IST will be the end point for most of MH's pax. TK also has the benefit of OD in beyond KUL traffic at this end and almost the whole of Europe at their IST hub.

I wonder if the Australians have a forum where they complain about MH having up to 3 daily flights to every major city there while QF can't manage a single daily flight to KUL. Or the Thais with TG's lackluster double-daily BKK-KUL and zero daily HKT-KUL.

I think a fair proportion of pax on TK flights connect to other flights within Europe at IST. Unless MH has partners to feed onto their flights, I don't see much need in mounting KUL-IST flights as they may not have sufficient O&D pax to justify these flights.