MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min Chun

Airlines vs Airways

There are airlines (eg:CHINA AIRLINES,SINGAPORE AIRLINES) and airways (eg:Thai Airways, TransAsia Airways, All Nippon Airways).

Pardon my ignorance, what's the differences between airlines and airways? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Edited by Min Chun

IIRC, this has beeen descussed once at A.net, an iirc again there is small different between Airline and Airways but now I can't recall the information.

But, other than that, nothing big different :good:

If u ask technical person, airway is a sky highway, a 'road' up in the sky...

airline, a company that manage an air travel....

An airline can name itself whatever it wants, hence there's no technical difference between the two names.

However, I believe both terms come from Railways and Ocean Lines.

Railways as you know are a network of routes on the ground, similar to airways in the sky. The word liner came from a tactical term in the Royal Navy - 'Ship of the Line' (make an internet search about it if you want to know more). It's easy to understand how airlines evolved from ocean lines.

Although airliners have its roots from ocean liners from its flying boat days, airlines are also closely linked to the railways. This is when planes could not fly safely at night yet and a journey is usually a combination of air and rail travel, and this was way before airways in the sky as know it today (with VORs and NDBs) even exists. Hence, this relationship at that time coined the term airways in relation to the railways.

But these days, the name airline and airways has no distinction and it's pretty much down to how nice the name sounds. :pardon:

Kinda 'Mee Kuah' and 'Mee Bandung'... 'Gulai' and 'Kari'... Brinjal and Aubergine... Restroom and Loo... Umbrella and Brolly... :D

Since this thread has been revived ....

What's the difference between 'AIRLINE' & 'AIRLINES'? :huh:

Why does an 'AIRLINE' call itself 'XXXX AIRLINES'? (As most do...)

Yes, I think the difference is between American and British, and as many term differences, there are minor differences in which the terms apply to. In essence, the terms in comparison mean the same thing; only the description varies. Sorry, but an instance for a similar situation escapes me at the moment. Perhaps, "apartment" and "flat"? Or "lift" and "elevator"?

Good that Min Chun brought this up, though I was oblivious of the thread early on. I've been thinking of the difference as well... :yahoo:

Hmm... I've never seen it in these depths as discussed above. I've always thought its down to commercial preferences, what sounds nice with your brand names. Strategic advertisement, no?

Airline ? Not sure if I can answer you Andi, as I'm slightly baffled too. Perhaps naming one entity in plural sounds more grand, who knows? :pardon:

Yeah, like Teoh, this thread made me think after being bumped. But bumping credits should go to Johan Lim instead :)

Sign in to follow this