MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prashant K

Better to Self-Sponsor CPL/IR ATPL

Hi.I wanted to know if it is advisable to self sponsor you own licenses? Ivr read on ask captain lim forums that stated getting a job with an airline with self sposored licenses would stand a slim chance. What do you guys think about it?

I guess the main reason airlines prefer pilots who went through THEIR own cadetship is that they can make sure the pilots fly & think as per their liking/preference. There is a slight difference (or maybe emphasis) in training from one flying school to another, as well as airlines.

If one argues that flying skills acquired are similar across all flying school, then consider the mentality built into the trainees (i.e. how they solve a problem, how they handle emergencies etc). To rephrase, you may have the same outcome, but the process may very well be different.

:unknw:

Okay. But don't you save the airline money also they dont they cover all these aspects in type rating. When you become emplyed as a first officer dont they train you for all that you have just mentioned?

Prashant, self sponsoring stands no less-a-chance of getting into an airline than a cadet pilot. Cadet Pilots aren't guaranteed jobs until completion of their training and their is sufficient availability, but obviously they typically dont have to try as hard to get a position with a major. Which ever route you choose to take, both have similar outcomes. Where you end up solely depends on your determination.

Okay. But don't you save the airline money also they dont they cover all these aspects in type rating. When you become emplyed as a first officer dont they train you for all that you have just mentioned?

If someone sponsors you, you are bonded to service the sponsor for X number of years - that's where they get their "contribution" back.

Nevertheless, Gibb has a point - it's about how hard you try.

thats what i'm thinking of... :D