MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cornelis Boersma

Visiting KUL/WMKK

Hi guys,

Next month I come to Asia. I first fly from Amsterdam to Bangkok (KLM), then an onward flight to Koh Samui (Bangkok Airways). I stay there for a week just to relax a little. Then I fly with Bangkok Airways to Phuket where I stay half a day, then I'll continue my trip to my final destination Kuala Lumpur (Air Asia) to have a week of photographing around KLIA.

I have a few questions about my trip.

Is it perhaps nice to stay longer then half a day at Phuket for aircraft spotting?

I also like to go to Jakarta for one day. How is aircraftspotting over there? An opportunity to get some nice shots of the stored aircraft or not at all? (see picture below)

According to airfleets.net 9M-MPA 744 of MAS is stored at SZB/Subang, is this correct? When Yes, any possibility to make a photograph of her?

Is it possible to get most of the MAS (medium/longhaul)fleet on camera in a day or 5/6?

After these 2 weeks I fly back home with KLM.

When I have more questions I'll ask them later on.

I hope for some helpfull replies!

Thanks in advance,

Cornelis Boersma

1115403np3.jpg

Edited by Cornelis Boersma

Hi guys,

Next month I come to Asia. I first fly from Amsterdam to Bangkok (KLM), then an onward flight to Koh Samui (Bangkok Airways). I stay there for a week just to relax a little. Then I fly with Bangkok Airways to Phuket where I stay half a day, then I'll continue my trip to my final destination Kuala Lumpur (Air Asia) to have a week of photographing around KLIA.

I have a few questions about my trip.

Is it possible to get most of the MAS (medium/longhaul)fleet on camera in a day or 5/6?

Hi Cornelis, welcome to KUL in advance. I don't have all the answers for you and perhaps some of the members can provide at a later time.

In a day or 2 at KUL, I am sure you will see most of the local fleets of MAS & AK unless those under maintenance. :D

Edited by Chaity

Hi Boersma,

2 weeks, that's like more than enough time to catch everything, I only been to the airport for an hour I already see the highlights at KUL!! :drinks: Wish you a happy journey!!!

I hope its possible somehow, maybe a zoomed shot of nose section or something. Something is more then nothing and the MPA is one of the only 744s I still need. The MPG I have photographed already one year ago when I was in transfer to Adelaide.

Guest Fendy
Are they planning to get her up in the air again someday?

Futher whats a recommanded hotel at/near KLIA? the Concorde Inn? Its the best I found!

concorde is a terrible place... i havent stayed at pan pac yet, but i guess it should be better.

Is it perhaps nice to stay longer then half a day at Phuket for aircraft spotting?

Cornelis,

Forget HKT.

If you are first time visitor,non-pro HKT, you may be arrested. Then missing AK flight to KUL. :)

Especially, European looking guy is dangerous. Security keep their eyes on!

Please note aviation photography is not allowend in Thailand and HKT is secured airport now!

Half a day transit/spotting sounds very boring if you choose non-charter day/timing.

I think BKK conx better na krab?

Guest Levent

Hallo Cornelis, alles goed?

Regarding spotting in Thailand> Taking pictures in and around the new Bangkok airport, Suvarnabhumi, is no problem at all. Don Muang is/was military terrain so that was dfficult, but Suvarnabhumi isn't. You can get some shots from the terminal, but it's much better to head for spots along the Rwy thresholds or anywhere along Rwy 01R/19L.

Samui is a fun place to spot as well. Practically all traffic is Bangkok Airways, but at the airport you can stand virtually next to the runway and get some excellent close-up shots. The security guards are very friendly and will gladly show you the best locations!

I haven't been to Phuket yet, but am planning to in the near future.

You can get more info on spotting at BKK and USM on my site, see the address below this message. Have a great trip!

Hi guys,

I am in KL from 16 March until 21 March, someone wants to show me around the nice spots at KLIA? I stay in the Concorde Inn those nights. I am really looking forward to it :rolleyes: :drinks:

A few nice ones from today: 18 March @ KUL/WMKK

China Southern 752, when this one was leaving and spooling up I really got goose bumps of it.. it was so amazing, I still had them a few minutes later! Just the good old Rolls Royce!

img67901om6.jpg

img67731wk5.jpg

This 777 MRE was really rotating very fast! We thought of a verry flight to Subang maybe? But it arrived back in the begin of the afternoon. Just has been away for 3 or 4 hours. Perhaps to SIN/WSSS?

img68251lm7.jpg

img68371jd7.jpg

img68651pt2.jpg

PH-BFK, I flew this one back home from KUL last year.

img69741ci0.jpg

img69481kb4.jpg

This for now!

Enjoy them.

Best regards from Holla... uhh Kuala Lumpur, :yahoo:

Cornelis

Great shots Cornelis... :clapping: ...

That MRE... could be TK on the right-seat...

carrying out the KUL-CGK-KUL, I guess..

MasKargo touchdown.... nice :good:

Wow,

that Maskargo touchdown shot is superb.

Loads of happening effects.thanks for sharing.

Nice shots, Cornelis, especially the MASKargo one with the vortices :good:

See, you're enjoying yourself overthere ;)

Hi guys, a few pics I made this afternoon! After the thunderstorms of this afternoon they started to use RWY 14L instead of 32R.

Further I still need 3 triple 7s known the MRC, MRL and MRQ. Hope to nail those 3 tomorrow or Wednesday!

Anyone planning to do some spotting tomorrow or Wednesday?

Maybe I'll meet you then, I think I go to Spooky place only. Even I have bad light in the morning, but I've been already send away 2 times from observation hill :angry:

I got 2 KLM 744s in one hour time. PHBFN and -CKA, both really fast rotation! Ik stond helemaal op die kisten te kwijlen Pieter! Tis dat ik op vrouwen val, maar anders :p

img70181ss4.jpg

img70931yw2.jpg

img71051nq0.jpg

This Airbus I specially made for Jonathan! :p

img71321ar6.jpg

img71441lh1.jpg

I was on the hill this morning, hoping to see Cornelis. No he wasn't there, and the light was bad too.

Nice shot of the Mahan Air, Cornelis. Where does it comes from?

Ik stond helemaal op die kisten te kwijlen Pieter! Tis dat ik op vrouwen val, maar anders :p

Sorry, guys, but I've to 'do' this in Dutch:

Probeer een T-shirt aan te trekken die niet opvalt, Cornelis, zoals grijs of donkergroen: nooit een probleem mee gehad op de OH...en heb je nog leuke dames gezien ? :p :pardon:

Lucky you, with the Mahan !!! Only saw her once at DUS...never since :(

oh Mahan air, was wondering about it when i checked the real time schedule on klia website, and you got it!!! Good one cornelis, I might go spotting this wednesday on the hill... i can pick you up from your hotel if you want to join me.

Sign in to follow this