MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

RMAF

Right wing tip is aquisition/training AIM-9 and left wing tip is DRS made ACMI pod (re Aerotree contract).

I was actually describing the AIM9s on the right wings of the Hawk 200 and 100 in two separate photos above.

This 5-ship was orbiting just north of the Batu Ferringhi/Tanjung Bungah area earlier this morning. Practise for something ?

it's a practise.

The same formation has been buzzing around this morning as well.

they're training for a coming parade to be held in WMKB.

Well...at the time TUDM received them they were the most advanced aircraft in the fleet....got weather radar I think. Maybe one or two of them are still flying today. When they started the engines the whole ground shook and we just could not sleep anymore (I was once living nearby).

Practise for something?

The new pilots will receive their wings at Butterworth tomorrow morning.

A) WMKB

B ) 1207090251 C) 1207180200

D) DLY BTN 0001-0200 UTC ON 09-18 JUL

E) FLY PASS WILL TAKE PLACE WI BUTTERWORTH TMA 10NM RADIUS

CENTRE ON VBT 0528.00N 10023.00E

FM 0528.50N 10014.10E

CLOCKWISE TO 0518.05N 10022.52E.

DEP FM WMKP RWY 22, ARR RWY 04, DLA EXP

F) GND/SEA LVL

G) 5000FT

Well...at the time TUDM received them they were the most advanced aircraft in the fleet....got weather radar I think. Maybe one or two of them are still flying today. When they started the engines the whole ground shook .....

What aircraft was that ?

The F5E's ?

BC, the TUDM Caribous were used from 1969 to 1998 (29 years!) and replaced by the CN235 subsequently.

Hey, no problem - but they still have Caribou's flying ?! :shok:

Surely not the RMAF birds :)

On a visit to California last November I came across this Skyhawk which has a RMAF connection - or least the back half of the aircraft does!

It is one of the ones bought by Malaysia but never converted to an A-4PTM. It was stored in the Arizona desert until 1996 when it was sold off with 34 others also owned by the Malaysian government.

It has undergone a five year rebuild which included replacing the front section with one from a two-seat TA-4J. It is airworthy and kept at the Lyon Air Museum on John Wayne Airport.

8239687930_d3684c802f_z.jpg
N518TA 5A9A1708, on Flickr
8238622755_3fe3e47fc0_z.jpg
N518TA 5A9A1715, on Flickr
Geoff
Edited by Geoff R.

Hi Geoff, thanks for the photos!

Just curious, although it is a static display in the museum, but it is keep airworthy?

Hi Geoff, thanks for the photos!

Just curious, although it is a static display in the museum, but it is keep airworthy?

Aircraft exhibits consist of a B-17, B-25, A-26, O-1, two DC-3s and the A-4, all of which are kept in airworthy condition and fly a few times each year. Just a small museum but housed in a very nice hangar along with several old cars and motorbikes, also in imacculate condition.

More info on the exhibits here http://lyonairmuseum.org/exhibits/

The A-4 is inot listed but maybe this is because when I visited I was told the owner had it up for sale, therefore, it may have moved on now.

Geoff

A very interesting museum indeed. Thanks again for the explanation, Geoff!

Heads up Kuala Lumpur. Typhoons and Hawks making a flypast over KL around 1015am tomorrow morning.

Gong Kedak AFB will held an open day this Saturday on October 12. 8am-6Pm.