Kota Kinabalu-Mulu

Kota Kinabalu-Lahad Datu

Kota Kinabalu-Labuan (*)

Kota Kinabalu-Sandakan (*)

Kota Kinabalu-Tawau (*)

Sandakan-Tawau

(*) in addition to MH 734 services

(#) in addition to MH Twin Otter services

Just wondering, is the Boeing 717 capable of operating from the airports that the F50s currently fly to and from? What other AC of similar landing / T/O performance to and with the same if not slightly bigger capacity than the F50 can one day replace it?

Azmal,

Not sure about the 717, but the Fokker F70 is a good jet replacement for the Fokker F50 when it comes to runway-length (Fokker F100 need a little more runway length, especially the ones with RR 620's) wink.gif

Just wondering, is the Boeing 717 capable of operating from the airports that the F50s currently fly to and from?

Don't think so.

What other AC of similar if not slightly bigger capacity and landing / T/O performance than the F50 which can one day replace it?

6630[/snapback]

The E70 perhaps ? Or E90 ? But i think they might have to lengthed the runway if they wanna use the E90. But i don't think MAS isn't able to place any order now, 200+Million ain't a small figure man .... Perhaps MAS should just use ONLY ONE flight attendant per F50 flight in order to cut cost.

Keno,

Talking about F50 and 1 F/A: depending on the passenger-loads, this is already possible in NL, where the limit was set at 51 smile.gif , so up to 50 passengers 1 F/A is possible; KLM cityhopper, however, always have 2 F/A's on-board, for safety- and service reasons !!!

Anyhow, here are the Fokker F50 routes of KLM cityhopper, just to let you show their stretches and planned block-times:

AMS-BRE 1.05

AMS-DUS 0.55

AMS-HAJ 1.15

AMS-CGN 1.10

AMS-MST 0.55

AMS-BRU 0.55

AMS-EIN 0.40 (will be terminated end of this month)

AMS-LUX 1.10

AMS-NWI 1.05

AMS-LCY 1.20

RTM-LHR 1.25

RTM-LCY 1.05

Occasionally, F50 will take-over F70/F100 flights with block-times up to 2.30 hrs huh.gif and will also operate various "long-haul" charters, even into Spain and Portugal (up to 4 hours)

Talking about F50 and 1 F/A: depending on the passenger-loads, this is already possible in NL, where the limit was set at 51  smile.gif , so up to 50 passengers 1 F/A is possible; KLM cityhopper, however, always have 2 F/A's on-board, for safety- and service reasons !!!

6659[/snapback]

Well, Pieter, there isn't much service on MAS F50 & since there is already such rule, perhaps MAS should reduce the number of flight attendant on F50 from 2 to 1 smile.gif

Sorry, Actually, I was trying to ask about the Twin Otter....

Thanks anyway Keno Omar!

6647[/snapback]

About Twin Otter they are operated in East Malaysia too, mainly in rural areas. Namely Mukah, Belaga, Marudi, Limbang(alongside F50), Lawas, Long Akah, Long Banga, Bario, Bakalalan, Long Lellang, Long Seridan, Kudat, Tomanggong, Mulu(do they operate F50 on Miri-Mulu route?) and Tarakan I guess. You can also find them at Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu, Miri, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan and Tawau.

Feel free to add more in case anything missing smile.gif

I bet Pieter is over the moon that this topic comes up

Pieter will be over Mars if the DHC-6 Twin Otter topic comes up, laugh.gif

You guys have missed out on TARAKAN, north of Kalimantan, Indonesia. MAS have upgraded the BKI-TWU-TARAKAN vv. route with Fokker F-50s 2-3 years ago. This route used to be served by the DHC-6 Twin Otters.

The Fokker 50 also do the KCH-MYY run, journey time is 1hr 20mins, but you get sandwich, biscuits and coffee during flight biggrin.gif If you choose to fly a B734 you only get a glass of juice, but you'll get there 20mins earlier.

If I got a choice I will definitely go for the F50s. I only flew turbo props once, Athens-Santorini with Olympic Aviation, I think it was a ATR42. The feeling is quite different from flying on a jet.

I remember the Fokker 50 also do the KCH-SBW-BTU-MYY run. If you love transit flights, then I would recommend this. I flew this route in 2003 at I love it very much

S V,

Indeed over Mars I would be; as you guys know, I ALWAYS have to make a DHT flight when I'm in Sabah, usually the BKI-KUD run laugh.gif

props all the way !!! biggrin.gif

MAS have upgraded the BKI-TWU-TARAKAN vv. route with Fokker F-50s 2-3 years ago. This route used to be served by the DHC-6 Twin Otters.

6677[/snapback]

I believe it's the other way round. Tarakan used to be served on F50 but has now been downgraded to Twin Otter.

MH no longer use F50 on this sector.

Twin Otter aircraft usage on Mondays in Sabah would be as follows :-

MH3006 dep 0755 arr 0825 Kota Kinabalu-Kudat

MH3006 dep 0840 arr 0930 Kudat-Sandakan

MH3105 dep 0950 arr 1040 Sandakan-Tawau

MH841 dep 1100 arr 1140 Tawau-Tarakan

Flight then leaves Tarakan at 1200 to return to KK via Tawau, Sandakan & Kudat.

That would make a great sightseeing daytrip flight!

Keno,

Indeed: thanks for the tip biggrin.gif

Might do it one day, instead of just going to KUD; I do need a visa for Indonesia, however, and think it's too expensive for just being there for 20 minutes ohmy.gif

Well, TWU would be far/nice enough to see most of Sabah, right ?

It's also possible to fly KCH-BKI all on Twin Otter flights. For a daytrip, one could do BKI-KCH on the first 734 flight of the day, then slowly make your way back to BKI on Twin Otters. Note that the following connections are only possible on Mondays, and only on KCH-BKI direction.

B734 flight :-

MH2801 dep 0715 arr 0940 Kota Kinabalu-Miri-Kuching

Twin Otter flights :-

MH3805 dep 1020 arr 1125 Kuching-Mukah

MH3704 dep 1140 arr 1250 Mukah-Miri

<--lunch break-->

MH3370 dep 1540 arr 1620 Miri-Limbang

MH3370 dep 1635 arr 1655 Limbang-Lawas

MH3370 dep 1705 arr 1755 Lawas-Kota Kinabalu

(*) MH3805 & MH3704 are operated using the same aircraft

So, do I see Pieter jumping up and down now? biggrin.gif

Sure, jumping my feet off laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

one monday a return BKI-TWU and the next monday a KCH-BKI would be a perfect way to experience the DHT again blink.gif : just love that plane cool.gif

Keno thanks for the tip! Is the Tawau-Tarakan route doing badly?? I think I am right the first part, however. Ever since they introduce the Tawau-Tarakan route, they have been using DHT for many many years. It was only until recently that they have started the flight from BKI instead of TWU and change of equipment to F-50s. According to you, they seemed to have switch it back to DHT.

Pieter, I don't think you can fly the DHT from KK-Tawau direct. Certainly not the KCH-BKI route smile.gif Unless you are prepared for many stopovers.

Man... this is bad, I cannot get the online timetable for DHC-6 Twin Otter on MAS website! I wonder if the Tawau-Tarakan route still exists!

Man... this is bad, I cannot get the online timetable for DHC-6 Twin Otter on MAS website! I wonder if the Tawau-Tarakan route still exists!

6772[/snapback]

It's strange why they did not include Tarakan in their online schedule. Most if not all other Twin Otter routes a.k.a. Rural Air Service are available online. Luckily I have MAS printed timetable in hand and I can confirm that Tarakan flight is indeed operated on Twin Otters now.

MH841 Tawau-Tarakan dep 1100 arr 1140

MH840 Tarakan-Tawau dep 1200 arr 1240

days of operation : Mon & Thu

equipment : DHT

Thanks Keno.

Has it ever been used in peninsular Malaysia?i watched a malay film in Astro which shows an F50 departing from Subang(it's an old 80's movie)

That would have been Fokker F-27 Friendships back in the 80s.

The F-50s do fly to Subang for maintainence I heard.

I'm not so sure, but I think they did use the F50 in the peninsular for a short time, just after it replaced the F27.

Sign in to follow this