MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ken K. Kour

Air Asia X Given Long Haul Rights Malaysia-Europe

If you can afford to spend money in UK, u definately can afford to buy food inflight B)

Yeah, don't really bother the price tag, just watch the real price..........

I still have question about taxes, how much it's gonna cost? And LCCT can handle widebody?

Edited by Seth K

well i would say no matter what the hidden cost are airport tax this tax air fare and bla bla i can only imagine it to be up to RM400-500 to manchester or elsewhere.....which is alot more cheaper then any other airline so its a good deal anyhow... MAS is about RM2 or 3k? but then again you would have no entertainment for 18 hours and you have to buy your food......but i still think its a fair deal...

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2007/...it+unveils.html

Some interesting details from flightglobal (full articles on above link):

AirAsia X is poised to take the A330-300 for its launch in July. The carrier, which is being set up by AirAsia chief executive Tony Fernandes and several of his associates, plans to launch in July with three leased aircraft and have the purchased aircraft arrive later

He says the Malaysian government has granted AirAsia X traffic rights to Birmingham and Manchester, and that it was looking at granting rights to London.

Wow, Tony Fernandes is very determined to get the new route going :o

Can't wait to see an A330-300 in AK livery :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Me never need IFE. On long-hauls, me simply sleep, read, sleep, sleep, read, read, sleep, sleep, sleep, ..., & all the while listening to own mp3.

Me also no food connoisseur. Can live with sandwiches, burgers, plain water. No problemo.

Gimme long-haul LCC anytime! B)

I read the star it states that AK X leasing 3 A330 for test flights. As low as 9.99, on the bright side, last it will cost at least MYR400++ plus ringgit/pound taxes, but heck, still cheap!!!! :blink: Any one Manchester this summer?? :pardon:

Here is the article you reading Seth :) (I put the very important parts in bold):

KUALA LUMPUR: RM9.99 is the cheapest air ticket to Manchester, Huangzhou and Tianjin on AirAsia X – the new long-haul budget airline operated by Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) that was launched yesterday.

FAX founder and AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said the new airline will start operations in July but passengers can book their tickets from next month.

He said the airline, whose tagline is “Now Everyone Can Fly Extra-long”, plans to buy 20 aircraft to service the various routes it had been given by the Government on Thursday.

Initially, the company will lease aircraft to start its operations, Fernandes told a press conference after the launch by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy.

Also present was Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

The airline is considering buying either the Airbus A330 or the Boeing 777-300ER. The seat configuration will enable AirAsia X to carry about 400 passengers on each flight.

There will be two classes of seats – economy and super-economy.

“We will have extra-long seats for those who want comfort for long-haul flights, but of course it will cost more,” Fernandes said.

Like AirAsia, passengers will have to pay for their food as well as onboard entertainment.

FAX also signed a memorandum of understanding with AirAsia over the franchising of the AirAsia brand to the new airline. It is learnt that the Transport Ministry has granted AirAsia X landing rights at 36 international destinations in Asia, Europe and Australia. Among them are Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates, Melbourne and Osaka.

Chan said the Government was still looking at which airport in London to grant the airline landing rights, but it would not be Heathrow or Gatwick.

The other two London airports available are Stanstead and Luton. Both are low-cost carrier hubs.

FAX chief executive officer Raja Azmi Raja Razali said the first three flights, in July, would be to Manchester, Hangzhou and Tianjin.

On negotiations with Virgin group’s Sir Richard Branson and EasyGroup’s Sir Stelios Haji-loannou, Fernandes said it was still on-going, but declined to elaborate.

“I know the two men very well and we have been speaking about it forquite a while,” he added.

Edited by Andrew Ong

Hah... we all aware that GOOD THINGS DOESN'T COME FOR FREE (but maybe less.... :) ) but THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE...

Seth had mentioned,

If you can afford to spend money in UK, u definately can afford to buy food inflight B)

Why gets fussy over pricey foods when u got loads to spend? Why complain abt leg room/cramp seat? sure they'll think of smthing to at least ovrcome these. you don't get cheaper if you don't expect for less in service... none ever offer rm400 to UK b4, even by boat...!

Why bother LCC if you don't want Low-cost service? They dont called LCC for nothin... rite?!!...

So, HOLLER TO AIR ASIA!!!... :clapping: :yahoo:

Last word: go buy their shares.... :D

well Air Asia said also that they r going o open a new class called upper economi class (correct me if i m wrong)

Isn't it supposed to be Super Economy Class and the other one is just Economy Class? :huh: :help:

Edited by Andrew Ong

There is one thing that forget to mention about it. Baggage allowance!!! Most of us didn't think about it until we reach airport where this is the kick part. We shop shop shop until forget how much KG that we allowed to take into the aircraft. And then OMG I have excess my allowance.

Well Air Asia now only give 12KG for it flight. Air Asia X ? 15KG? Well how about extra KG? Well add up those extra KG I think those air fare will almost equal to full service airline oh!.

Yup. TheStar mentioned Economy and Super-Economy. yesterday was Premium-Y, today Super-Y pulak... either way, same thing. xtra comfort, xtra cost it is...

hey, guess what?i think air asia may recruit more pilot than if they expand to london...haha...good news right? others....dun give up la.....by the way my parent will have the chance to go LONDON....hhehe

Any one Manchester this summer?? :pardon:

ME!! ME!!!.... :clapping:

No entertainment: Clouds abundance. i love clouds... bring own mp3/mp4. hey, even my cellphone got flight mode...

then, food problem: who cares.. i need to diet though... :D

DVT: stand up, stretch a bit. go toilet, stretch even more! :rofl:

Me never need IFE. On long-hauls, me simply sleep, read, sleep, sleep, read, read, sleep, sleep, sleep, ..., & all the while listening to own mp3.

Me also no food connoisseur. Can live with sandwiches, burgers, plain water. No problemo.

Gimme long-haul LCC anytime! B)

I believe there are many more 'Naim's out there who are just willing to travel on a budget without the frills.

So for every 10 people who complain "cannot-fly-on-budget-airlines-for-12-hours-on-cramped-seat,-no-entertainment-and-have-to-buy-expensive-on-board-food", there are another 100 who would just be willing to do just that.

Guys,

Have merged 'Air Asia X - longhaul starts July 07' with this topic for better reading/commenting ;)

Of a personal view: I hope TF knows what he's doing: lot's of airlines went 'down the drain' with over-expansion over a short period of time :o

LCC-regional and -longhaul are two different kinds of operations :blink:

For the time being, AirAsia X will only be granted rights to destinations not served by MH (hence SHJ over DXB; STN over LHR). The govt had more or less the same stance when AK first flew internationally but we all saw how fast things changed.

As for flights to southeastern Australia, does anyone know if Melbourne Avalon is capable of handling A333/B773? Since they can't fly to MEL, then AVV would be an alternative. Is there any (large) secondary airport for SYD & BNE?

Lets get over, this route is the the same as other AK routes but just longer..............

Thou if you fly cheap to MAN, you still have to pay extras to get to LON city, by air rtn or other service offer.

Bagage allowance also matter, if it's your first time to UK, then expect to pay more........

Quote from AK, that the price at least will be 50% lower than current price, if he compare with MH, that's like around MYR1000-MYR2000 rtn.

Guys,

Have merged 'Air Asia X - longhaul starts July 07' with this topic for better reading/commenting ;)

Of a personal view: I hope TF knows what he's doing: lot's of airlines went 'down the drain' with over-expansion over a short period of time :o

LCC-regional and -longhaul are two different kinds of operations :blink:

Precisely, PC. Furthermore AK is not really cash-rich - profits have been thin (see Asiatimes report I attached above) - but then they are using start-up FAX for AKX. Even more risks. Gearing must be sky-high. Wrong expansion strategy and down the drain the whole show goes. I just hope I'm able to spend a weekend or two in Prague & Budapest first before anything happens. Selfish me, yeah! :D

+++

For the time being, AirAsia X will only be granted rights to destinations not served by MH (hence SHJ over DXB; STN over LHR). The govt had more or less the same stance when AK first flew internationally but we all saw how fast things changed.

As for flights to southeastern Australia, does anyone know if Melbourne Avalon is capable of handling A333/B773? Since they can't fly to MEL, then AVV would be an alternative. Is there any (large) secondary airport for SYD & BNE?

The problem with Avalon Airport is, it has a very small terminal building with no immigration at all! Basically it is a purely domestic airport. It can't handle international arrivals. So unless Australian government is willing to fork out some few thousands aussie dollars for expansion and facilities for international flights, then we can be sure that AirAsia X can operate to avalon. I read somewhere that Malaysian government have approved a few cities and Melbourne is one of the cities that have been approved. If it is the case, what is AirAsia X real plan? Could it be that AirAsia X will make a stop over at one of the cities elsewhere just to differentiate with MAS route and then fly to Melbourne Airport? Interesting to see when all these to be unveiled soon :p

Sharing some of the pictures of Avalon Airport taken on the 5th of January 2007

avalon2mj9.jpg

This is the arrivals entrance for Avalon terminal building. Basically it is only one building. Look how shabby it is. You should be grateful how pretty our LCCT if compared to this.

avalon1ni0.jpg

Basically there is no separation between the baggace claim and the arrival, so it is all open. Look how small the terminal is. Can you expect the building to handle international pax?

maby entertainment will be given to the upper economi class (super economi class)Only.for normal economi seats no personal TV(LCD) but like lastime about 1985 about 50 pass see one TV.cannot change channel.Or air asia can improvice on some thing new. Pay for a movie about RM10 with personal seats(LCD).ya there will b a power socket. Maby U have to pay for that also .so cross your fingers so that u dont have to pay 4 using your own laptop .yes please bring your own nasi lamak .FAX is a sub airline of Air Asia like pelangi Airways under Malaysia Airlines or Silk Air under Singapore.its like that.Tony is using FAX to get or Help Air Asia go around the world.Hope Air Asia goes to San Fransisco.(love the place).The airline Is making a Hell of a lot aof money.air asia thai,air asia, air asia in indonesia ,fax .so why not step on malaysia Airlines (though my future is in Malaysia Airlines)not only malaysia Airlines only worry on passangers but also Singapore Airlines ,Thai Airways also.So think about it.

Deep Vein T....

Walk around the cabin n then the cabin will be congested... Hehe...

If one chooses to be absolutely picky about this DVT issue, you cannot for now even associate the medical problem with long haul LCC flights - simply because the concept is so new and (to best of my knowledge) there has been no incidents since Oasis started service. Reported incidents so far mainly involves long haul flights on "full service" carriers. Ironic yes, but facts are there !

For the extreme cynic, one can even suggest that the expected 'less comfortable' seats on LCC flights could possibly reduce risk of DVT :blink: Why ? If you're comfortable, you'll settle down better and move about less. If uncomfortable, you'll tend to squirm about more, in the process exercising those muscles and inducing better circulation. The issue is open for debate ! :rolleyes:

The seats will be cramed up (LOW BUGET AIRLINE)Except the upper economi class .will be like Malaysia Airlines Business class seats.(not the new one the old one or maby a better one like Virgin Atlantic once)

Agree. This, of course will be bad for the country. On a personal basis....... :pardon:

The seats will be cramed up (LOW BUGET AIRLINE)Except the upper economi class.

I don't think so; AK is looking for comfortable seat and good service in order to get more people to fly with them :)

Edited by Andrew Ong