How about this for a typo

I just read this on cnn.com:

Typo takes tourist 13,000 km out

POSTED: 9:27 a.m. EST, December 29, 2006

Story Highlights

• NEW: Web typing error takes German tourist 13,000 km (8,077 miles) wrong

• 21-year-old set out for Sydney, Australia but ended up near Sidney, Montana

• Mother who helped send refund says: "He is usually good with computers"

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- A 21-year-old German tourist who wanted to visit his girlfriend in the Australian metropolis Sydney landed 13,000 kilometers (8,077 miles) away near Sidney, Montana, after mistyping his destination on a flight booking Web site.

Dressed for the Australian summer in T-shirt and shorts, Tobi Gutt left Germany on Saturday for a four-week holiday.

Instead of arriving "down under", Gutt found himself on a different continent and bound for the chilly state of Montana.

"I did wonder but I didn't want to say anything," Gutt told the Bild newspaper. "I thought to myself, you can fly to Australia via the United States."

Gutt's airline ticket routed him via the U.S. city of Portland, Oregon, to Billings, Montana. Only as he was about to board a commuter flight to Sidney -- an oil town of about 5,000 people -- did he realize his mistake.

The hapless tourist, who had only a thin jacket to keep out the winter cold, spent three days in Billings airport before he was able to buy a new ticket to Australia with 600 euros in cash that his parents and friends sent over from Germany.

"I didn't notice the mistake as my son is usually good with computers," his mother, Sabine, told Reuters.

DUH!...

Watch what you're typing, watch where you're going.. eheheee

I just read this on cnn.com:

DUH!...

Watch what you're typing, watch where you're going.. eheheee

Yup, be careful when you type HEL as your destination. Hmmm ... what about FUK? :rofl:

Yup, be careful when you type HEL as your destination. Hmmm ... what about FUK? :rofl:

So funny... That's why I always get instantaneously anxious everytime my transaction online (ticketing) is "successful"! Hahaha... :rofl:

yep, read all about it, heeheehee :rofl:

He did reach SYD in the end to be with his g-f :good:

A lesson earned. Always do the double checking while doing any transaction... Btw, how he check in the counter? I supposed he will noticed right after when he check in? No idea...

A lesson earned. Always do the double checking while doing any transaction... Btw, how he check in the counter? I supposed he will noticed right after when he check in? No idea...

He must be one clueless bloke. Btw Sidney's code is SXY ... sexy!

Must be an interesting trip. FUK - SIN - HEL.

In US, I know there are lots of cities that have same name with most main cities in the world.......................

Story cracked me up :rofl:

Hehe, happened few years back to a British couple. They ended up on way the other end of the globe (Sydney, Nova Scotia) than their intended destination (Sydney AU)!

Maybe they put Sydney, NS instead of Sydney, AU :D ;)

Edited by Andrew Ong

Such amazing, but I gather such mistake could only happen on internet booking by oneself. If the booking is done with travel agents, I doubt such mistake is likely to happen. I am pretty sure this poor soul must be booking with one of the US carriers. I mean, which airline on earth would list Sidney, Montana on its destination list?

Not only does a typo take you to the wrong destination, but a a strong accent can also get you lost. This happened on my flight years ago. As we started push back in SIN for a flight to BKI, a frantic German couple came running to the front saying they were on the wrong flight. When I checked their boarding pass, it was correct. Then I found our they wanted to go to KOTA BARU but the travel agent booked them to KOTA KINABALU! They never realised the mistake until the welcome announcement on board.

Not only does a typo take you to the wrong destination, but a a strong accent can also get you lost. This happened on my flight years ago. As we started push back in SIN for a flight to BKI, a frantic German couple came running to the front saying they were on the wrong flight. When I checked their boarding pass, it was correct. Then I found our they wanted to go to KOTA BARU but the travel agent booked them to KOTA KINABALU! They never realised the mistake until the welcome announcement on board.

What happened next?

Maybe they put Sydney, NS instead of Sydney, AU :D ;)

Sydney, NS could still be mistaken as Sydney, New South Wales.

What happened next?

Captain was kind enough to request that we be brought back to the gate and let them disembark but we ended with a long delay as we waited for their check-in bags to be removed from the cargo hold.

Sign in to follow this