MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ken K. Kour

More Low Cost Carrriers to Fly To Malaysia

More low-cost carriers may fly to Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia may allow more Asian low-cost airlines, including Singapore’s Tiger Airways and Thailand’s Bangkok Air, to fly to the country to boost Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Adnan Mansor said the government was in talks with Tiger Airways to fly to tourist destinations on the east coast of the peninsula and Sabah and Sarawak.

But Tiger Airways was unlikely to be allowed to fly the lucrative Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route, he said.

"We are persuading the Transport Ministry to let Tiger Airways fly to some destinations in Malaysia that are lucrative.

"They are still negotiating. We are also talking to Bangkok Air because they want to come to Malaysia."

He said Cebu Pacific recently launched flights from Manila to Kuala Lumpur.

A second Philippines-based low-cost carrier is likely to start operating soon from Davao to Sandakan in Sabah.

Thai AirAsia, the Thai affiliate of low-cost carrier AirAsia, would launch flights from Bangkok to Langkawi on Jan 6, he added.

Adnan also launched a new double-decker bus service for tourists yesterday.

The KL Hop-On Hop-Off bus service, which plies a 22-stop circuit around the city, covers areas of interest previously not accessible by regular bus services.

The bus will take tourists to 42 major attractions from shopping centres and buildings of historical importance to parks, libraries and museums.

Passengers can get on or off the buses at any of the stops along the way.

A pre-recorded tour commentary will be played throughout the ride.

Passengers can use headphones to listen in any of the eight languages available.

Each passenger will be given a booklet which contains information and a map of Kuala Lumpur.

Tickets are valid for 24 hours and are priced at RM38 for adults and RM17 for children and senior citizens. Children below five can ride for free. For MyKad holders, the ticket costs RM19.

Syarikat Elang Wah Sdn Bhd is operating the service. The bus service runs between 8.30am and 8.30pm, with a frequency of 30 minutes.

Syarikat Elang Wah managing director Syed Azhar Syed Nadzri said initially, the company would run four buses but would increase the number to 10 by the middle of next year.

Tickets can be bought at hotels, selected travel agencies, on the bus and via the Internet.

During trial runs until tomorrow, the public can ride the buses for free.

Copyright © 2006 NST Online. All rights reserved.

Interesting This, Firstly, The Hop On-Hop Off Bus seems to be a good idea, a similar system is in operation in singapore, which allows for tourists to sight-see at their own leisure, as they can just hop on the next bus which comes at regular intervals

Secondly, If Tiger air is unlikely to be allowed to fly SIN-KUL, that means that Air Asia will not be allowed to fly KUL-SIN, which thus means that Tony Fernandes's plan for chapter two might not come to fruition.

However, Letting Tiger Air fly routes such as SIN-KCH, SIN-BKI, SIN-PEN, SIN-LGK would definately boost tourist numbers for VMY 2007

On Question, is there enough demand for Davao-Sandakan? :huh:

One Question, is there enough demand for Davao-Sandakan? :huh:

For a short while, MH used to operate a BKI - DVO flight on the B735.

South Phoenix used to operate a YS-11 from SDK - ZAM v.v. Also doesn't last very long.

SDK - DVO? I don't think it will last either.

SDK - DVO? I don't think it will last either.

Wasn't that gonna be operated by AN-24 ? I recall a previous posted message here at MW...

Honestly speaking I don't think it's a good idea to charge double on foreign tourist, they will definitely felt unfair and being ripped off.

RM38 for foreigner

RM19 for senior citizen & kids

RM19 for Malaysian with mycard

Compared with the SIA Hop On Bus :

SIA/Silkair passanger - SGD3

others - SGD6

SIA passanger on Singapore stopover holiday - free

Honestly speaking I prefered SIA Hop On Bus, not only it's cheaper but it's more colourful, look nicer and unbias towards foreigner.

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbp...hop-on_bus.html

..... I don't think it's a good idea to charge double on foreign tourist, they will definitely felt unfair and being ripped off .....

Precisely, and what sort of message you'll be sending out to our 'guests' ? Someone need to relook at their VMY 2007 strategies for sure !

Wasn't that gonna be operated by AN-24 ? I recall a previous posted message here at MW...

I thought they have already started ? And yes, it is / to be flown by the russian bird - as reported

Agree agree agree, why charge double for foreigners? such a price discrimination........well the market for local tourists is low that's why the price is half because I dun think locals are really bother riding that bus, they knew the places already.......I think I'll try it, may be tomorrow :good:

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia may allow more Asian low-cost airlines, including Singapore’s Tiger Airways and Thailand’s Bangkok Air, to fly to the country to boost Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Would be nice to see the Bangkok Air colourfull ATR's in Malaysia ;)

Any idea on the destinations they plan to operate to ? Wasn't there a 'route-proving' flight earlier this year to Melakka ?

Don't hold your breath for Bangkok Air to offer low fares a-la-LCC. It does not classify itself as an LCC as its fares are often even higher than Thai Airways International. It brands itself a "boutique airline".

KC Sim

i saw in a magazine today.. cant remember was it airport or airliner world, but they plan to op from koh samui to kuala lumpur

I did this route a while back on Pelangi - just before they went under and from SZB T3 to Koh Samui. On the return, one of Pelangi's F50s was u/s in Kerteh and as a result, our return flight from Koh Samui was delayed by 2.5 hours. Instead, we flew back on a chartered Berjaya Air Dash-7 hehehe what a bird!

More airlines to Malaysia would indeed be a great thing. However, our main destination and attraction is Kuala Lumpur - so why not let them fly to KL??? AirAsia would also gfet rights to Singapore - and who has the lower cost base and ability to provide potentially a sterling service better than all the rest?? :D

RM38 for a bus ride.. you'd have to be out of your cotton picking mind!!!! IT SHOULD BE DAMN-WELL FREE!!!!! Operated by DBKL and Tourism Malaysia! How much does it cost to bring tourists around to your city to spend their money?? IT SHOULD BE PRICELESS!!! Idiots! Idiots! Idiots!

If they REALLY were clever, they would get big companies to sponsor the services!!! For VMY2007 it should be free and thereafter, maybe RM5 or RM3 per adult/child. Are the seats made of gold that they need to charge RM38 for a ticket?? And who would pay RM38 to probably end up in a traffic jam for half the day! IDIOTS!

Currently the AN-24 is operated by a Phillipines based airline, Mospil Air, 3 times a week from ZAM - SDK - ZAM. Another airline flying? not sure what's the details. But unless they really have some special strategy (ie cheaper to fly than to take a ferry from SDK to ZAM), I cant see how this route can be sustainable.

Anyway, protect MAS is the biggest reason why so many foreign airlines are not allowed to fly into M'sia. How much MAS should be protected will be a long long debate i guess. The problem is MAS will focus all their attention on operation at the few major gateways like kul, bki, pen & kch to boast their revenue and profit, leaving out many other less popular route, but which are also depended very much on air services to boast their economy. Why cant the govt open all regional airports (like sdk, miri, sbw, kua) to whoever want to fly in (since MAS cant serve this areas profitably) while continue to impose certain restrictions on flying into major gateways to protect MAS. Will this be better overall? I mean these regional airports are not very attractive, but if some foreign airlines choose to operate there, then no harm rite?

Currently the AN-24 is operated by a Phillipines based airline, Mospil Air, 3 times a week from ZAM - SDK - ZAM. Another airline flying? not sure what's the details. But unless they really have some special strategy (ie cheaper to fly than to take a ferry from SDK to ZAM), I cant see how this route can be sustainable.

And also who wants to fly to Zamboaga ? Are those people living there can afford flying ?

Anyway, protect MAS is the biggest reason why so many foreign airlines are not allowed to fly into M'sia.

Erm ... I don't think so. The government always try to lure foreign carriers to operate into Malaysian airports (KUL especially). They are like the happiest beings on earth when a foreign carrier announce that they are going to fly to Malaysia.

How much MAS should be protected will be a long long debate i guess. The problem is MAS will focus all their attention on operation at the few major gateways like kul, bki, pen & kch to boast their revenue and profit, leaving out many other less popular route, but which are also depended very much on air services to boast their economy.

Many other carriers are doing exactly the same. Focus on major gateways.

- BA = LHR

- LH = FRA & MUC

- AF = CDG

- JL/NH = NRT

- QF = SYD & MEL

If one wants to get to SDK, they just need to transit at BKI. If a Malaysian businessman wanted to go to TXL (Berlin), he will need to transit in either FRA or MUC, or any other European airports.

I think there is only 2 major MH gateways in Malaysia namely KUL & BKI which is enough. They don't need to have too many flights to those secondary airports because such operation will be extremely expensive (ask those US carriers). Besides, demand doesn't warrant MH doing business such way.

PEN however, is a whole different story. O&D international traffic to PEN is huge but in order not to hurt KUL traffic, MH decided to give up all international flights in PEN.

Why cant the govt open all regional airports (like sdk, miri, sbw, kua) to whoever want to fly in (since MAS cant serve this areas profitably) while continue to impose certain restrictions on flying into major gateways to protect MAS. Will this be better overall? I mean these regional airports are not very attractive, but if some foreign airlines choose to operate there, then no harm rite?

I think the Malaysian government is pretty flexible at this thing. Any carriers can fly to any airports in Malaysia even if it is not an international airport. They just need to apply. SDK is not an international airport and yet, an international carrier is operating scheduled flight there. KUA, SBW & MYY got international charter flights from foreign carriers sometimes.

Edited by Isaac

And also who wants to fly to Zamboaga ? Are those people living there can afford flying ?

Erm ... I don't think so.

From my travelling, there are more middle class in Philippines, Indonesia and Bangladesh than in Malaysia or Singapore. And the middle class in Malaysia and Singapore are the poorest in Asia in term of disposable income and net asset/cash value.

:drinks:

If a Malaysian businessman wanted to go to TXL (Berlin), he will need to transit in either FRA or MUC, or any other European airports.

Not quite: he can fly KUL-DOH-TXL on QR, by-passing the European airport(s), although I'd prefer him to go KUL-AMS-TXL on KL ofcourse :pardon: :good:

MAHB talking about LGK, and with Thai AirAsia commencing ops, rumours of more international (non-specific on whether LCC or legacy) are in talks with starting services to the resort island.

Langkawi International Airport confirmed it was in negotiations with “several foreign airlines” which were examining launching services to Langkawi (Bernama, 03-Jan-07).

And from Bernama:

Foreign Airlines Keen To Fly To Langkawi

January 03, 2007 14:55 PM

LANGKAWI,-- Many foreign airlines are keen to fly to Malaysia's premier tourist island of Langkawi for the Visit Malaysia Year 2007, an official said Wednesday.

"We are in the midst of discussion with several foreign airlines (who are keen to fly here). It will become a reality soon," Langkawi International Airport manager Mustafa Idris told Bernama.

He said nearly one million tourists were expected to visit Langkawi this year compared with 923,889 last year.

Yesterday, 416 Russian tourists who arrived here were given a rousing welcome at the airport by local residents and tourism and other officials.

Will all of the LCCs flying to KUL be using the LCCT ()just want to know)???? :huh: :help: :help:

Edited by Andrew Ong

More likely to be charter flights.

:drinks:

Agree with that: Russian airlines I presume ??!!

I heard that Tiger Airways was suppose to fly SIN-KCH, SIN - BKI but still no news on it......

Rumors has it that Air Asia o Indon Air Asia was suppose to start KCH-CGK again no news.... was out in the papers last month i think... anybody know about this?

Btw again I would like to ask is Batavia still serving KCH? I haven't seen it for quites sometime was at the airport on monday morning and didn't see its flight... i wonder why

I heard that Tiger Airways was suppose to fly SIN-KCH, SIN - BKI but still no news on it......

Rumors has it that Air Asia o Indon Air Asia was suppose to start KCH-CGK again no news.... was out in the papers last month i think... anybody know about this?

Btw again I would like to ask is Batavia still serving KCH? I haven't seen it for quites sometime was at the airport on monday morning and didn't see its flight... i wonder why

I presume that AirAsia will actually have a large international hub from KCH and BKI to serve Australasia and East Asia respetively. Ofcourse, this will be under the brand of AirAsia X. So yes, CGK will probably come online as soon as they have availabilities in the fleet. Also, they have committed to being able to start SIN services ex KUL (and probably ex KCH/BKI/PEN) in 1Q07. Which means soon. They will need loads of metal to operate all these services, so it's all in due time.

WRT Batavia, I have no idea...

Sign in to follow this