MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Strong Winds, MAS Arrival In Kuala Terengganu Delayed

I believe the relatively short TGG runway did not help either. I remember SDK was also short.

December 21, 2006 16:00 PM

Strong Winds, MAS Arrival In Kuala Terengganu Delayed

KUALA TERENGGANU, Dec 21 (Bernama) -- A Malaysia Airlines (MAS) aircraft was forced to return to Kuala Lumpur when it could not land at the Sultan Mahmud Airport here due to strong winds and heavy rain Wednesday night.

Kuala Terengganu Malaysia Airports Sdn Bhd (MAB) branch manager Kamaruzzaman Razali said the MAS 737 aircraft was supposed to land at the airport at 8.20pm.

However he said, the plane flew back a few hours later and managed to land at the airport about 11pm before returning to Kuala Lumpur an hour later.

"Despite strong winds and heavy rain at the airport, a MAS flight and another by Air Asia managed to land safely at the airport about 8am and 9.30am today," he said when contacted here Thursday.

Kamaruzzaman said until now, there was no change in flight schedule.

-- BERNAMA

Last night it was strong wind and rain, therefore the captain diverted back to KUL as he already at his MDF (minimum diversion fuel).

Today (21st) MH1336 could have landed on time if it was the normal runway 04 straight-in approach. There was no rain but wind was very strong at almost 26 kt headwind for runway 04. Luckily the crosswind was minimal,

MSA for TGG is 6000 ft, which means you're not allowed to go lower unless you can see the ground or established on the VOR/DME instrument approach procedure. So tonight MH1336 went overhead the VKT VOR at 6000 ft, make a 180 turn and cross back over the VOR, go outbound for 6 nm, then another 180 procedure turn descending to 2000 ft. At 7.4 DME MH 1336 continues down for landing. Now visual with the runway, but HW was strong, 26 kt and at flap 40, GS was only about 115 kt. With autobrake 2, MH 1336 managed to stop before the taxiway leading to the terminal, so no backtracking was necessary.

Today, if your aircraft did a straight in approach into TGG, or landed on runway 22, you know your safety has been compromised.

Edited by Radzi

The captain obviously made a good decision.

Wait, that MAS decided to abort landing due to heavy winds and flew back to KLIA instead? :help:

The captain obviously made a good decision.

Wait, that MAS decided to abort landing due to heavy winds and flew back to KLIA instead? :help:

No, it was a combination of low cloud, heavy rain and strong wind.

I can imagine the difficulty for airmen, having lived not far from KBR which is near the sea like TGG. The monsoon winds can be severe and the dark clouds could be seen rolling and rolling towards you!

On a recent flight out of KBR, being at the end row and during take off, I could feel as if the plane was swaying left and right strongly. It was very windy by looking at the coconut trees in the distance. I imagined the rudder was trying very hard to straighten the aircraft. Just as the plane flew over Kota Bharu town, it started to rain heavily.

Radzi..I have a rather stupid question...but i guess i'll just ask it anyways.

Wont the METAR report of a TGG have reported such bad weather conditions? If so...then wouldnt it have been cheaper for the airline and most importantly, safer to delay the flight until the weather improved or, in an extreme case, cancel the flight?

Radzi..I have a rather stupid question...but i guess i'll just ask it anyways.

Wont the METAR report of a TGG have reported such bad weather conditions? If so...then wouldnt it have been cheaper for the airline and most importantly, safer to delay the flight until the weather improved or, in an extreme case, cancel the flight?

Stupid question? No, it is a good question, something that lot of people asked.

Here in the tropical area, rain will not fall heavily consistently for a long time. Maybe for 10 to 20 minutes the visibility is less than required for landing, then it might be okay again until the next wave comes in. Therefore METAR before departure might not show the whole picture. You'll have to look at the trend as well. Of course sometimes we do delay our departure due to weather at destination, but most of the time we just take about 30 mins extra holding fuel and wait out at destination. This is especially true for conductive thunderstorm in the afternoon. Monsoon rain, however is harder to predict. But if you wait for all clear weather, it could be days.

A bit off-topic here :

Did anyone heard of tyre-bust in KLIA runway last night ?

My friend's flight which was scheduled to land at 9 something was diverted to PEN because SZB was already full.... He arrived at KLIA at 3 am.... My friend said it was a MAS plane....

I landed just before 10 pm (from TGG) and there was no such thing. Anything later, I don't know.

But if it is MAS plane (or any other airlines except Air Asia) it will be in the news.

Capt., "he" must be you at TGG..but who ever he is, congratulation.. :)

Your explaination make me feel more confident to fly with MH, and worth my money for my safety...

A bit of correction. It should read MH 1338 i.s.o MH 1336.

Hmmmm.... forget my own flight number. I did the instrument approach to TGG yesterday, 21st. The one that diverted was not me but someone I know.

Safety before schedule........... Don't fly with any pilot that doesn't believe in it.

A bit off-topic here :

Did anyone heard of tyre-bust in KLIA runway last night ?

My friend's flight which was scheduled to land at 9 something was diverted to PEN because SZB was already full.... He arrived at KLIA at 3 am.... My friend said it was a MAS plane....

As i was scanning my radio yesterday night... i overheard 2 flights got diverted. One back to Johor and the other to Penang. I thought it was due to the weather but i dont think so. I sensed something amiss and I have no clue as I had to turned it off. My queen calling me to wash the dishes!!! :angry: :angry:

Found a thread in PPrune. Apparently an Air Atlanta burst its tires during landing and some aircraft were diverted to JHB and PEN.

Maybe the reporters are already sleeping by then, or caught up in the flood.

Found a thread in PPrune. Apparently an Air Atlanta burst its tires during landing and some aircraft were diverted to JHB and PEN.

Aaahh...Thats why laa....

Thank you capt for the info!

I can imagine the difficulty for airmen, having lived not far from KBR which is near the sea like TGG. The monsoon winds can be severe and the dark clouds could be seen rolling and rolling towards you!

On a recent flight out of KBR, being at the end row and during take off, I could feel as if the plane was swaying left and right strongly. It was very windy by looking at the coconut trees in the distance. I imagined the rudder was trying very hard to straighten the aircraft. Just as the plane flew over Kota Bharu town, it started to rain heavily.

On my recent flight on MH1426 KUL-KBR 21 December, I braced myself for a bumpy ride. However it was not so until it was time to land at WMKC!

I was in for the scariest landing ever. I found myself actually gripping the handrests... heheh.

Like you had described, just before touchdown, the aircraft could be felt swaying left and right.

Phewww....

Wow... they did that last November as well... :blink:

Flood, heavy rain, strong winds,

wow mother nature seems to be brutal lately.

On my recent flight on MH1426 KUL-KBR 21 December, I braced myself for a bumpy ride. However it was not so until it was time to land at WMKC!

I was in for the scariest landing ever. I found myself actually gripping the handrests... heheh.

Like you had described, just before touchdown, the aircraft could be felt swaying left and right.

Phewww....

yaa..it happened to me last night,i can say the flight was ok until the a/c approached wmkc...wooo..bumpy2...everythg was shaken...i could only see the airport on final...

Stupid question? No, it is a good question, something that lot of people asked.

Here in the tropical area, rain will not fall heavily consistently for a long time. Maybe for 10 to 20 minutes the visibility is less than required for landing, then it might be okay again until the next wave comes in. Therefore METAR before departure might not show the whole picture. You'll have to look at the trend as well. Of course sometimes we do delay our departure due to weather at destination, but most of the time we just take about 30 mins extra holding fuel and wait out at destination. This is especially true for conductive thunderstorm in the afternoon. Monsoon rain, however is harder to predict. But if you wait for all clear weather, it could be days.

Trends and statistics showed at end of the year towards late January, lots of incidents happened.

The weather nowadays is not as predictable as years before; probably due to the deforestation and rapid development almost everywhere. Whatever the reasons to that is beyong our control. Safety is our supreme priority.

Airport like TGG is really some challenge for airline pilots in rainy seasons especially at night. Lots of time pilots' experiences overrides textbook theories.

Another contributing factor is for most narrow-bodied aircraft Captains MH or AK, their copilots are relatively new and inexperienced. As such, a less perfect combination may aggravate the difficulties and invite latent dangers.

Friends, take good care this end of year. Take annual leave is the best....if you can get leave..

regards,

hisham.

Guys,

For your information my fiancée was on that plane. Actually she missed the flight at 3.30pm and she have no choice to take that 7.30pm flight.. I called around 9pm and she said that they are in KUL.. i was surprised.. i thought that she already arrive in K.Trengganu. She said that the captain divert back to KUL because they cannot land the plane due to heavy rain. After 10 - 15 minutes, the announcement was made and all the passengers are asked to board the plane again...

The second attempt also quite bumpy landing… Once the plane land, all the passengers clap their hand… Thank you to the captain and F.O for landing the plane safely. The most important is my fiancée is save.. “Syukur alhamdulillah”

-cheers-

Sign in to follow this