MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Ipoh Airport Runway Extension Project Gets Government Nod

So no excuse for Tony not to fly to IPH! :rofl:

December 16, 2006 16:58 PM

Ipoh Airport Runway Extension Project Gets Government Nod

LUMUT, Dec 16 (Bernama) -- The government has approved the runway extension project at the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport (LTAS) in Ipoh to accomodate large aircrafts deployed in international services, said Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Tajol Rosli Ghazali.

He said that Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy also had informed him that the airport could be used for international flights to any destination except Singapore.

"With the go ahead, we plan to extend the airport runway by another 500 metres making it 1,981 metres to accomodate the Airbus 320 aeroplane and not 2,200 metres as initally planned as it would involve more land acquisition," he said when opening the IMPSA Sdn Bhd's metal fabrication factory here.

Tajol said the airport runway project has also been scaled down to RM40 million from the earlier estimate of RM150 million that included the longer runway and expansion of the airport terminal.

LTAS currently operates the Ipoh-Medan service after the Ipoh-KLIA service by MAS and the Ipoh-Senai service by Air Asia were stopped recently.

Tajol Rosli said that the runway extension would allow several airlines to start international flights from Ipoh to destinations like Jakarta, Bangkok, Phuket and Haadyai besides Sabah and Sarawak.

He said the government had also approved the projects for the deepening of Sungai Sitiawan, Sungai Dinding and Selat Dinding to allow barges to reach factories in the the Lumut port industrial area.

The Menteri Besar also said that IMPSA Sdn Bhd, which had invested RM70 million in the factory, would be investing another RM20 million next year to expand it, making it the largest such factory in the Asia-Pacific region.

-- BERNAMA

Can't wait for Tony's reply :rofl:

"Sorry Ipoh, runway too long" or "Still too short, we thought of leasing 747 for IPH"-Tony :D

Edited by Seth K

Honestly speaking I don't understand why IPH is banned from operating any flights to Singapore. This banned is from the Malaysian Government or Singapore Government or both? I just don't get it! :angry:

IPH is about 2.5 hours drive from KUL. It doesn’t make sense to upgrade IPH for larger aircraft. It will be more efficient and cheaper to serve international destinations from KUL. If enough load is justify, more frequent regional jet is more suitable and convenient.

The Government doesn’t walk the talk, it is no wonder that KUL will never become a hub even domestically.

Guess it is another excuse to award fat contract to well connected people and another case of waste of resources.

:drinks:

IPH is about 2.5 hours drive from KUL. It doesn’t make sense to upgrade IPH for larger aircraft. It will be more efficient and cheaper to serve international destinations from KUL. If enough load is justify, more frequent regional jet is more suitable and convenient.

That's reality for us on the ground, KK, but politicians operate in another dimension altogether. See what the Chief Minister thinks:

"Tajol Rosli said that the runway extension would allow several airlines to start international flights from Ipoh to destinations like Jakarta, Bangkok, Phuket and Haadyai besides Sabah and Sarawak."

He's obviously in the stratosphere!

That's reality for us on the ground, KK, but politicians operate in another dimension altogether. See what the Chief Minister thinks:

"Tajol Rosli said that the runway extension would allow several airlines to start international flights from Ipoh to destinations like Jakarta, Bangkok, Phuket and Haadyai besides Sabah and Sarawak."[/i]

He's obviously in the stratosphere!

He's being overly optimistic too.

Edited by Sing Yew

But 737 used to operate there. Any idea what is the min width requirement for a 737?

sorry, no idea about that,maybe capt Radzi or Ian can provide us with that info...

AK could use IPH as a destination from its hubs in BKI and KCH. I think there is potential to serve the IPH-Borneo market. I'm not too sure about international services.. proximity to KUL is neither near nor far - with the completion (and pardon me for placing a big question mark here) of the double tracking and new express trains between KL and Ipoh, KLIA becomes a little more attractive for use by IPH.

- with the completion (and pardon me for placing a big question mark here) of the double tracking and new express trains between KL and Ipoh, KLIA becomes a little more attractive for use by IPH.

By early 2008....at the earliest... hee hee

Sign in to follow this