MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sanjay Thaker

MH's efforts to reduce costs...

'Going Beyond Expectations' and 'An Experience Redefined' slogans

6671[/snapback]

I almost forgot about the "GBE" & "AER" slogans. They promised that everything on their long-haul flights will be so classy, even in Y. If MH really wants their passengers to feel MH is such as luxurious carrier, they should continue to offer the menu card in Y, you wanna your passengers to have the feeling of dining in a 5-star hotel than you must have the menu card, if the current printing cost is high, i would suggest them to look for another company to print the menus.

Right now, i think MAS should :

- order the fuel-efficient aircraft, return all the 332 (terrible seat pitch in EY) to the lessors, order both of the 783 & 788, and the 738 as well.

- Increase the seat pitch in GCC (333) from the current 45" to 50", install PTV (AVOD) in all classes

- Reduce GCC seats on 333 to only 36 & add more EY seat to 275 (i have a mock up seat map of the 333 with 36 seats (GCC) & 275 seats (EY) with 50" & 34" of pitch respectively, so yes, even in this seat configuration, they still can offer 34" of pitch in EY with 6 lavotories in EY & 2 lavotaries in GCC tongue.gif )

- Use the 333 instead of 772 on the flights less than 6 hours such as PVG.

- Stop using the 333 to DXB.

- BUY 3 more 333 to add frequencies to several Indian & Chinese destinations such as DEL, BOM & many more.

- ONLY USE the 772 on flights MORE than SIX HOURS (except BJS & KHI). With the extra 772, perhaps they can offer daily flights to many existing medium/long-haul destinations such as MAN, BNE, ADL, DXB & many more.

- sign a new contract with all of their cabin crews, i heard many of their new flight attendants fly only about 65-70 hours a month, perhaps in the new contract they should increase their working hours on air (minimum/month : 100 hours & maximum/month : 105 hours), they must increase their salaries too (make it RM4000 - RM5000). I also think that they should reduce the numbers of flight attendants on all of their flights. If they are too many flight attendants. then they should just furlough them, MAS is NO charity organisation rolleyes.gif

- Furlough some of its ground staffs.

- Use TWO seat configurations for the 738, one in 2-class (12 GCC @ 50" of pitch & 138 EY @ 34" of pitch, with PTV/AVOD in all seats) & another one in 1-class only (189 EY @ 30" of pitch), use it on domestic flights LESS than ONE HOUR & stop offering beverages these flights. (I have a mock-up seat map for these too & is very sure the 738 has enough space to accomodate 150 passengers in 2-class with 50" of pitch & 34" respetively tongue.gif )

- Increase the food portion of EY on flights LONGER than SIX HOURS, make it similiar to the size of Emirates or China Airlines.

cool.gif

People will sure LOVE MAS tongue.gif

they must increase their salaries too (make it RM4000 - RM5000). I also think that they should reduce the numbers of flight attendants on all of their flights. If they are too many flight attendants. then they should just furlough them, MAS is NO charity organisation  rolleyes.gif

7172[/snapback]

Agreed..on most of it..especially the choice of aircraft and the seats of the 333...well....some destinations MAS juz seems to be using the wrong type of AC...anyway....reduce the amount of flight attendants?? Thats not possible....you should know that even now there are many flights with a short of crew...and it makes it really hard for the rest of the cabin crew..especially with the new service procedures (an experience redefined).....the crew need to work harder...so tht part of it isnt possible..anyway...bout the ground staff....yeah....too many of them..not at the airport....but in the office..especially higher up the ladder....when a foreign consultant was called in to check out on MAS....they said that MAS office bearers are 35% more than amount needed...imagine tht

Guest Fendy

the 787 wont be along for at least another 3 years, so what do they use to fill the gap until it comes? the airbus of course smile.gif

overhauling the aircraft and fitting in PTVs also involves a large sum of money.

- ONLY USE the 772 on flights MORE than SIX HOURS (except BJS & KHI). With the extra 772, perhaps they can offer daily flights to many existing medium/long-haul destinations such as MAN, BNE, ADL, DXB & many more.

7172[/snapback]

They better increase ADL's frequency soon. SQ is adding an additional weekly flight into ADL.

anyway....reduce the amount of flight attendants?? Thats not possible....you should know that even now there are many flights with a short of crew...and it makes it really hard for the rest of the cabin crew..especially with the new service procedures (an experience redefined).....the crew need to work harder...so tht part of it isnt possible..

7179[/snapback]

What ? Didn't know MH is shortage of flight attendants too. I thought they only don't have enough 330 pilots, which resulted to the cancellation of many flights in the past few month.

I said they probably could furlough some flight attendants because

in the new contract they should increase their working hours on air (minimum/month : 100 hours & maximum/month : 105 hours), they must increase their salaries too (make it RM4000 - RM5000). I also think that they should reduce the numbers of flight attendants on all of their flights. If they are too many flight attendants. then they should just furlough them

As the cabin crews will spend more time in the air with LESS flight attendants, so i thought MH will have too many FAs (due to the LESS CAs per flight).

As for reduce the numbers of FA per flight is because i think they have too many CAs onboard which their service is not needed. This could be a great way to save money for the MH smile.gif

For example :

(Currently)

F50 (EY) = 2

734 (C/EY) = 5

332 (C/EY) = i dunno laugh.gif

333 (C/EY) = about 12 if my memory serves me correctly

772 (F/C/EY) = FIFTEEN !!!! ohmy.gif (That was before they started to sell only 2-class on the 772)

772 (C/EY) = 13 i heard

744 (F/C/EY) = SEVENTEEN !!!! ohmy.gif

First, since they are losing money on most of the intra-borneo flights, MH better replace the F50 a.s.a.p. As for now, they should place ONLY ONE cabin crew per F50 flight. There isn't much service on F50, only ONE cabin crew will be doing just fine & will definately saves MAS a large sum of money.

On the 744, they can use cut down the numbers of CA/flight from 17 to ONLY 15. (QF only got 14 on their 3-class 744, NW got 12-14, depends on which cities their 744 flying to).

As for the 772, they can cut it down from 13 to 11.

the 787 wont be along for at least another 3 years, so what do they use to fill the gap until it comes? the airbus of course smile.gif

7204[/snapback]

Sure it's the Airbus, but NOT 332, they have 12 in fleet (333) with 11 currently active. 3 are leased if i'm not mistaken. My suggestion is return the former Skyservice 333 & buy another 4 directly from Airbus & reconfigure all of their 333 to the seat configuration i suggested earlier & install PTV (AVOD) in all seats & also get rid 1 galley (USELESS on flights less than 6 hours, even if they are using the LARGE EY meal tray)

- Increase the seat pitch in GCC (333) from the current 45" to 50", install PTV (AVOD) in all classes

- Reduce GCC seats on 333 to only 36 & add more EY seat to 275 (i have a mock up seat map of the 333 with 36 seats (GCC) & 275 seats (EY) with 50" & 34" of pitch respectively, so yes, even in this seat configuration, they still can offer 34" of pitch in EY with 6 lavotories in EY & 2 lavotaries in GCC  tongue.gif )

Example of MAS Economy Class LARGE meal tray

MAS Economy Class MEDIUM size meal tray

MAS Economy Class SMALL size meal tray

Guest Fendy
Sure it's the Airbus, but NOT 332, they have 12 in fleet (333) with 11 currently active. 3 are leased if i'm not mistaken. My suggestion is return the former Skyservice 333 & buy another 4 directly from Airbus & reconfigure all of their 333 to the seat configuration i suggested earlier & install PTV (AVOD) in all seats & also get rid 1 galley (USELESS on flights less than 6 hours, even if they are using the LARGE EY meal tray) 

7270[/snapback]

$$$$$ - why buy directly from airbus when you can get it for cheaper by leasing? after all, its not going to be permenant in the fleet if they do replace it with the 787 right?

Well..here it is...the 333 and 332 has 11 FAs....the 772 with new configuration has 12...not 13...anyway...bout them having 17 on the 744...one thing you have to know..why do u think MH and TG..and some of the asian airlines have great cabin service records ....thts coz pax have good and fast efficient delivery.....and the FAs attend to them well and they are seen in the cabin often....thats what makes them different cutting it down ro 14 or 13 would be bad for pax...one of the reason ppl choose to fly with MH is mainly because of the cabin crew...they are known to be the best of the best in the world....anyway..let me juz give u some info i know of....whenever theres a short of crew in a flight....the IFS has to personally work as a steward in the galley...which is of coz..something hard coz he has many other matters to handle in front..especially documentation..the crew find it hard sometimes...if they have to or want to cut down on amount of FAs in the flight..then a new service procedure must be made..coz currently the division of work duties in the flight has been laid out for the amount of FA currently...and yet the crew find it really tiring after the flight..u shld see the way they look when they reach the hotel..its exhausting....i think cutting down on FAs would mean a slight decline in inflight services..idont think pax would be too happy bout tht....and we must take into count flights like ARL-EWR...where its only 7 hrs flight..with TWO main meal services...thats hectic...when i flew the sector...i saw the crew having no time to talk to me at all...sitting in FC..i realised it was as difficult for them too....they had to work really hard...and remember FC and GCCL services are LONG...many courses....so...taking into consideration the preparation for the services..heating up the meals..they table layout..tray setting...trolley setting..with the current service..a reduction of FA's would be impossible.....they have to compromise on services if they want to cut down on FAs might be a good way to save money...but wouldnt help much..coz pax would realize it really fast...would be a decline in MH's great image of wonderful cabin crew....as for the F50...i was juz wondering..is it a DCA ruling that there muz be at least 2 FA's in the plane..coz remember FA's are not only cabin crews...they are the safety experts and marshalls in the cabin shld something go wrong...would one FA be enough to carry out emergency evacuation...or calm down the cabin in case of panic??

$$$$$ - why buy directly from airbus when you can get it for cheaper by leasing? after all, its not going to be permenant in the fleet if they do replace it with the 787 right?

7287[/snapback]

Because the 783 won't be replacing the 333 as there is quite a big difference in the numbers of seats. Use the 783 on thinner short-haul sectors such as Xi'an, Chengdu, Xiamen, Kunming, Singapore & 333 to HKG, BJS, PVG, BKK, DEL, BOM etc.

Well..here it is...the 333 and 332 has 11 FAs....the 772 with new configuration has 12...not 13...anyway...bout them having 17 on the 744...one thing you have to know..why do u think MH and TG..and some of the asian airlines have great cabin service records ....thts coz pax have good and fast efficient delivery.....and the FAs attend to them well and they are seen in the cabin often....thats what makes them different cutting it down ro 14 or 13 would be bad for pax...one of the reason ppl choose to fly with MH is mainly because of the cabin crew...

7290[/snapback]

I do agree with you that many people choose to fly with MAS is because of the cabin crew but definately not because MAS cabin crew can deliver things faster but their altitude (nicer/friendlier etc.) I've flown with airlines using LESS cabin crew and service is as efficient as MAS, perhaps only not as friendly as MAS (except KL and SQ).

as for the F50...i was juz wondering..is it a DCA ruling that there muz be at least 2 FA's in the plane..coz remember FA's are not only cabin crews...they are the safety experts and marshalls in the cabin shld something go wrong...would one FA be enough to carry out emergency evacuation...or calm down the cabin in case of panic??

7290[/snapback]

Well, i'm not sure if it's DCA rule related (2 CAs on MAS F50). But i know it's legal under FAA rule (1 crew per 50 pax).

Reduction of crew set per flight and per aircraft is not a good way to cut cost. The current crew set per flight and per aircraft is working just nice.

Malaysian Civil Aviation Regulations (MCAR) 1996

"The Director General may give a direction to the operator of any Malaysian aircraft, whenever that aircraft is flying for the purpose of public transport, requiring him to include among the crew thereof or least one cabin attendant notwithstanding that the aircraft may be carrying less than 20 passenders.

In case of an aircraft with a total seating capacity not exceeding 200 passengers, the number of cabin attendants carried on such a flight shall not be less than one cabin attendant for every 50 passengers or a fraction thereof carried on the aircraft.

In the case of an aircraft with a total seating capacity exceeding 200 passengers, the number of cabin attendants carried on such a flight shall not be less that half the number of main exits in the aircraft, and in addition when more than 200 passengers are carried, there shall be one additional cabin attendant for every 25 passengers or a fraction thereof:

.. provided that where the number of cabin attendants calculated in accordance with this sub-regulation exceeds the number of main exits in the aircraft, the operator of the aircraft shall be deemed to have complied with this regulation if the number of cabin attendants carried is equal to the number of main exits in the aircraft."

Study Case 1:-

MAS B737-400 = 5 crew set

16 pax in GCC - 2 cabin crews

1 LS/LSS

- Safety - Primary Crew 1 or P1

- guards/attends Door 1L and D1R

- Galley works (drink orders/meal preparations etc)

- safety equipments/safety annoucements

- voyage report/documentations/paper works/etc

- in-flight service

- liases with tech crew (captain/co-pilot)

1 FSS

- Safety - Assist Crew 1 or A1

- mostly cabin works

- in-flight service

- etc

GCC = taking care pax and tech crew needs. If 1 crew in front, try to imagine his/her workload. sad.gif extra pay/extra attention

128 pax in EY - 3 cabin crews (128/ 50 = 2.56 or 3 crews) biggrin.gif

1 FS/FSS

- Service - B Galley or BG

- Safety - Primary Crew 2 or P2

- in charge of EY cabin

- liases with LS/LSS

- guards/attends D2L

- port side safety equipments

1 FSS/FS

- Service - B Cabin 1 or BC 1

- Safety - Primary Crew 3 or P3

- guards/attends D2R

- mostly cabin works

- in-flight service

- safety demo

- starboard side safety equipments

1 FSS/FS

- Service - B Cabin 2 or BC2

- Safety - Assist Crew 2 or A2

- in flight services for both EY and GCC

- safety demo

- window exits

PRIMARY CREWS a.k.a guardian of the exit door. Check passenger and cabin prepared. Confirm all doors are AMRED/DISAMRED as applicable. Brace commands. etc.

Assist crew are in addition to the required number of Primary Cabin Crew. The general responsibility of a cabin crew (Assist Crew) not assigned to an exit, is to assist in the evacuation of passengers and opening of the window exits. They shall assists in directing/redirecting and establishing even flow of passenger evacuation in the cabin. He/she will bring down all the necessary items for evacuation. For example during crash-land, there are 4 important items to bring down, first aid kit, megaphone, transmitter and flashlight.

During emergency evacuation, should a Primary Crew be incapacitated (kaput) during an emergency/impact, the Assist Crew is to TAKE OVER his/her duties. Tech Crew (Captain/co-pilot) ONLY SUPERVISE the evacuation process with captain in the middle of the aircraft and co-pilot somewhere near forward doors area.

Study Case 2 :-

In-Flight Supervisor

- Coordinates with Captain

- Coordinates with Zone Supervisors

- Coordinates with support departments (engineering/catering/etc)

- Paper work/report (Gen. Dec., immigration clearance ex-kul, srew/station documentation)

Golden Club Class

Zone B = 4

1 Chief Steward/Stewardess

- Writes Voyage Report

- Uplift documents

- Forms

- Galley works (drink orders, meal service, etc)

- Safety/service equipments

Cabin = 2 FSS (Port/Starboard side Aisle)

Galley = 1 FS/FSS

Economy Class

Zone C = 3

Cabin = 1 LS/LSS (Port Side Aisle) and 1 FSS/FS (Starboard Side Aisle)

Galley = 1 FS/FSS

Zone D = 3

In Cabin = 1 LS/LSS (Port Side Aisle) and 1 FSS/FS (Starboard Side Aisle)

Galley = 1 FS/FSS

LS/LSS

- Liases with IFS

- Documentations

- Uplifts

- Seals

- Inf flight sales

- Safety/service equipments

- etc

LS = Leading Steward

LSS = Leading Stewardess

FS = Flight Steward

FSS = Flight Stewardess

Sorry if I confused you guys. Hope you guys get the idea. Thanks. biggrin.gif

Fairizuan, your explanation makes me appreciate what you guys do, given the responsibilities and duties listed. I suppose 'arm' or 'disarm' and 'cross check' most often heard means lock / unlock, and double check that? smile.gif

Another thing, are you familiar with the F50? I was wondering if that aircraft has the usual oxygen masks that pop out should there be any cabin decompression. On a recent F50 flight, there was no mention about the oxygen thing during safety briefing, although there is a diagram of such in the safety card. I forgot to ask the cabin crew to confirm it.

When I checked my old F27 safety card, there was no diagram / picture of the oxygen mask. It has decades since I last flew on the F27, so I can't remember if there were any.

Thanks Rozhan biggrin.gif

MH B734

to lock (or close) a door, simply rotate Door Operating Handle. No door locking indicator.

MH A332/333

to lock a door, ensure door is securely closed and Door Locking Indicator shows "GREEN" and with the word "LOCKED". Simply pull down Door Control Handle to close/lock the door.

Therefore ARM/DISARM a door is not about lock/unlock a door. biggrin.gif

ARM = Slide raft/slide in armed position

DISARM = Slide raft/slide in disarmed position

Crosscheck = Guardian of D1/2/3/4Left checks Door1/2/3/4Right, and Guardian of D1/2/3/4Right checks D1/2/3/4Left.

MH F50

I'm not familiar with Fokker 50. sad.gif During decomp, F50 cabin crew actions are:-

1 - SECURE SELF - Sit at the nearest seat and fasten seatbelt or wedge between seats.

2 - WAIT for Captain's announcement that the aircraft is safe before beginning post decomp duties.

while MH B734/A332/A333/B772/B744 cabin crew actions are

1- THINK OXYGEN - Don nearest oxygen mask <--------

2 - SECURE SELF - Sit at the nearest seat and fasten seatbelt of wedge between seats.

3 - WAIT for Captain's announcement that the aircraft is safe before beginning post decomp duties.

Our post decomp duties are:-

1- Obtain nearest oxygen cylinder, look on follow crew members

2- check toilets, cabin, crew and pax who may need oxygen & help

3- etc etc.

So, my wild guess is, there are no oxygen masks on F50 due to its low cabin altitude that require no oxygen mask in the cabin. Our cabin pressurezation is generally maintained at an altitude of 5,000 ft - 7,000 ft. But I dunno. Maybe someone can check/comfirm for us. Thanks. biggrin.gif

Sorry if I confused you guys. Hope you guys get the idea. Thanks. biggrin.gif

14028[/snapback]

Not at all, Fairizuan. Nice explanations. Thank you.

Reduction of crew set per flight and per aircraft is not a good way to cut cost. The current crew set per flight and per aircraft is working just nice.

14028[/snapback]

Rizuan, couldn't agree with you here. It is indeed a great way to cut cost and MAS really need to get rid many of their ground staffs (rude ones especially) as Sanjay said MAS is overstaffed (ground ones especially). Reduce the numbers of cabin crew is way better than taking away the perks from passengers, especially when MAS is having a big big campaign about how great MH is ...

GCC = taking care pax and tech crew needs. If 1 crew in front, try to imagine his/her workload. sad.gif extra pay/extra attention

14028[/snapback]

In my post in the other thread ... or this one (can't remember). I suggested MAS to use ONLY 4 cabin crew for 734. 2 in GCC and 2 in EY. I don't think it's a big problem for MAS flights within Peninsula and East Malaysia, not even on flights between Peninsula and East Malaysia. LESS cabin crew per flight works perfectly fine for many other major carriers which are in the midst of cutting cost such as QF (we rarely hear people complain about QF onboard service), LH, KL, CO, AA, UA, NW and many more.

The list below is the numbers of cabin crew on MAS planes :

F50 : 2

734 : 5

738 : 5 + 1

332 : 11

333 : 11

772 : 12

744 : 17

I suggest ...

F50 : 1

734 : 4 (2 in GCC / 2 in EY)

738 : 4 + 1 (2 in GCC / 2 in EY)

332 : 9 (1 inflight director / 4 in GCC / 4 in EY)

333 : 11 (1 inflight director / 4 in GCC / 6 in EY)

772 : 11 (1 inflight director / 4 in GCC / 6 in EY)

744 : 15 (1 inflight director / 3 in FC / 4 in GCC / 7 in EY)

** No inflight director for flight less than 6 hours. So very likely most 332 and 333 flights will have 8 and 10 flights attendants respectively.

I almost forgot about the "GBE" & "AER" slogans. They promised that everything on their long-haul flights will be so classy, even in Y. If MH really wants their passengers to feel MH is such as luxurious carrier, they should continue to offer the menu card in Y, you wanna your passengers to have the feeling of dining in a 5-star hotel than you must have the menu card, if the current printing cost is high, i would suggest them to look for another company to print the menus.

Right now, i think MAS should :

- order the fuel-efficient aircraft, return all the 332 (terrible seat pitch in EY) to the lessors, order both of the 783 & 788, and the 738 as well.

- Reduce GCC seats on 333 to only 36 & add more EY seat to 275 (i have a mock up seat map of the 333 with 36 seats (GCC) & 275 seats (EY) with 50" & 34" of pitch respectively, so yes, even in this seat configuration, they still can offer 34" of pitch in EY with 6 lavotories in EY & 2 lavotaries in GCC tongue.gif )

- Use the 333 instead of 772 on the flights less than 6 hours such as PVG.

- Stop using the 333 to DXB.

- BUY 3 more 333 to add frequencies to several Indian & Chinese destinations such as DEL, BOM & many more.

- sign a new contract with all of their cabin crews, i heard many of their new flight attendants fly only about 65-70 hours a month, perhaps in the new contract they should increase their working hours on air (minimum/month : 100 hours & maximum/month : 105 hours), they must increase their salaries too (make it RM4000 - RM5000). I also think that they should reduce the numbers of flight attendants on all of their flights. If they are too many flight attendants. then they should just furlough them, MAS is NO charity organisation rolleyes.gif

- Use TWO seat configurations for the 738, one in 2-class (12 GCC @ 50" of pitch & 138 EY @ 34" of pitch, with PTV/AVOD in all seats) & another one in 1-class only (189 EY @ 30" of pitch), use it on domestic flights LESS than ONE HOUR & stop offering beverages these flights. (I have a mock-up seat map for these too & is very sure the 738 has enough space to accomodate 150 passengers in 2-class with 50" of pitch & 34" respetively tongue.gif )

- Increase the food portion of EY on flights LONGER than SIX HOURS, make it similiar to the size of Emirates or China Airlines.

cool.gif

People will sure LOVE MAS tongue.gif

14028[/snapback]

Edited by Isaac

no inflight director for flights less than 6 hrs would be a problem....because theres only one Chief Steward currently since they introduced the GCC and EY only configuration....because the chief steward is needed to take care of needs in GCC....there needs to be someone else who would handle the paperworks especially for flights to india and china because the paperwork on these flights is abundant....too much workload for the chief steward...the Inflight Dir. is needed to ensure adequate equipments...and proper regulations is followed..besides tht...SEP checks on crew..and safety questions needs to be asked to members of the crew too to make sure they know their procedures..if there isnt a director..the Chief Steward would need to handle..GCC service....paperwork...equipment uploading..meal uploading...tech crew reporting...crew SEP check...crew safety check..and pax welfare..a lil too much for hectic flights like those to India...

Thanks again for the detailed explanation Fairizuan. Hope to have the pleasure of being on one of your flights one day, and have a safe flight always smile.gif

Sign in to follow this