MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hisham Albakri

Need advise on KUL - CPT - KUL

Guys - I have sort of done my research on this but would greatly appreciate comments from you on the options available in terms of airlines, cheapest fare, total flight duration, etc for the a potential trip of mine to Cape Town which is currently still in planning stage :help: We intend to spend a week in Cape Town during the school holidays in August 2007 (yes, I know, it's still a long way to go) :)

Given you're a Flying Blue member, you ought to fly KLM :lol:

KUL-AMS daily KL0810 2315-0535* 744

AMS-CPT daily KL0597 1005-2135 772

CPT-AMS daily KL0598 2325-1110* 772

AMS-KUL daily KL0809 2100-1440* 744

* = next day.

Pay a visit to 'wonderful' AMS between 0598-0809 or for a few days :yahoo:

You should book early to avoid disappointment for good seats/cheap rates as both stretches quite popular :o

Let us know the final 'outcome' ;)

I can't really help you with plane tickets, but I can help you with the "what to do in Cape Town" part. I lived in South Africa for a year so know most places.

Are you only going for a week? Wonder if you can get a ticket to fly into a town called George, and then from there drive slowly to Cape Town. George is in the garden route, and in my opinion, it is a must see if you are in the Cape Town area. If you take a Star Alliance flight, you might be able to get a ticket via SAA that takes you to George, and back from CPT.

Given you're a Flying Blue member, you ought to fly KLM :lol:

KUL-AMS daily KL0810 2315-0535* 744

AMS-CPT daily KL0597 1005-2135 772

CPT-AMS daily KL0598 2325-1110* 772

AMS-KUL daily KL0809 2100-1440* 744

* = next day.

Pay a visit to 'wonderful' AMS between 0598-0809 or for a few days :yahoo:

You should book early to avoid disappointment for good seats/cheap rates as both stretches quite popular :o

Let us know the final 'outcome' ;)

Pieter - This option was definitely explored when I did a 'mock booking' online recently :clapping: There were 2 negative points about flying KL to CPT via AMS though. Firstly and the most obvious one is the total flight time of approximately 24 hours for each way :( (yes, I know this could be a non issue if I could break the journey and visit 'wonderful' AMS). Secondly (and surprisingly) the price quoted was almost 3 times more :o than SQ's quotation (what Seth wrote earlier was about the right price for SQ). It was also slightly cheaper if I chose the MH code-shared flight to AMS instead of the KL one :huh:

I can't really help you with plane tickets, but I can help you with the "what to do in Cape Town" part. I lived in South Africa for a year so know most places.

Are you only going for a week? Wonder if you can get a ticket to fly into a town called George, and then from there drive slowly to Cape Town. George is in the garden route, and in my opinion, it is a must see if you are in the Cape Town area. If you take a Star Alliance flight, you might be able to get a ticket via SAA that takes you to George, and back from CPT.

Thanks for your suggestion Azman. It has 2 coincide with the Msian school hols as 3 of my children are already school-going come next year. Will consider the George route as well ... flying SAA, albeit domestically is tempting :yahoo: The flight from KUL has to be to JNB then :)

. Secondly (and surprisingly) the price quoted was almost 3 times more :o than SQ's quotation (what Seth wrote earlier was about the right price for SQ).

Hmmmmm, my system shows the cheapest option KUL-AMS-CPT v.v. as MYR4500.-- (min. 7 days/max. 1 month)...could be cheaper when booked via KLM-agent (which I don't know in Malaysia)...ofcourse, cannot beat the SQ-fare...

Hmmmmm, my system shows the cheapest option KUL-AMS-CPT v.v. as MYR4500.-- (min. 7 days/max. 1 month)...could be cheaper when booked via KLM-agent (which I don't know in Malaysia)...ofcourse, cannot beat the SQ-fare...

MYR4,500?!? :o :nea: I'll do another mock booking later ...

Since your trip falls on Aug 2007, my recommendation would be to grab the special bargains airfares during MAS Travel Fair 2007 on Feb next year or MATTA Fair on Mar 2007 (where all airlines will offer special fares).

Since Aug next year still a long way to go, I doubt any airlines gonna offer any special bargains fares at this moment.

Since your trip falls on Aug 2007, my recommendation would be to grab the special bargains airfares during MAS Travel Fair 2007 on Feb next year or MATTA Fair on Mar 2007 (where all airlines will offer special fares).

Since Aug next year still a long way to go, I doubt any airlines gonna offer any special bargains fares at this moment.

Not to mention that MH will decrese their fare significantly neext year! Yeah, I think it's too early to book, early next year will be good enough

2 cent

Yes, MH is always the most convenient as it's direct flight, good for family who travels with kids.

Once a year MAS travel fair on Feb (date havent annouced yet) is the best time to get cheap fares.

Second chance would be MATTA fair which will be held from 16 - 18 March 2007 in PWTC.

Most tourist will arrive in JNB and catch the connecting flight to George or Port Elizabeth. Then rent a car and drive slowly through the garden route. This is a very beautiful stretch between Port Elizabeth and Mosel Bay. George is right in between these two towns, and 3 or four days should be enough. There is a museum in Mosel Bay with lots of references to the same Portuguese and Dutch dudes who were in Malacca in the 16th century - your kids will find it fascinating if they have already had some history lessons. From Mossel bay it is a 4 hour drive to Cape Town. You could also stay on a game farm on the way to watch some wildlife and lots of Osterich...

Then another 3 days in Cape Town should be enough, and fly back from there. Some people do the trip the other way around, i.e., start in Cape Town...

But to do the above you do need 7 solid days...

For Europeans flying *A, like LH or LX, or SAA itself, the ticket cost the same whether they fly to JNB only or extend to CPT/George...

For Europeans flying *A, like LH or LX, or SAA itself, the ticket cost the same whether they fly to JNB only or extend to CPT/George...

I don't think he can fly SAA from KUL - he'd have to detour to HKG.

If you get a *A ticket (either TG or SQ, but SQ has a direct flight to CPT; or LH via BKK and FRA ;)), you can get very cheap SAA tickets within Africa as you'd be eligible for the *A African Air Pass.

But of course - since u're an FB member, check out the KLM option. Don't book on to the MH codeshare or you won't earn status mileage (is that right Pieter - since there's a rule change some time ago?). KLM to CPT via AMS yields lots of miles. And remember - a transit is anything less than a 24 hour stop. So flight schedule pending, if you want to overnight in AMS and catch up with Pieter you still can without paying the airport tax. Just make sure your TA puts an 'xAMS' instead of an 'oAMS', and leave AMS within 24 hours of arrival. There's a very nice airport Sheraton at AMS. ;)

I'm actually very tempted to visit South Africa myself - but quite hard to fit in with all the other places I also want to go to. Such tough choices to make! :p

Edited by Keith T

Can recommend you where to have nice food in Cape Town.

:drinks:

Cape Town`s waterfront! Good food and wonderful views! Loved it there!

Hope you guys have a good time there!

Best regards,

Darren Liew

I don't think he can fly SAA from KUL - he'd have to detour to HKG.

If you get a *A ticket (either TG or SQ, but SQ has a direct flight to CPT; or LH via BKK and FRA ;)), you can get very cheap SAA tickets within Africa as you'd be eligible for the *A African Air Pass.

But of course - since u're an FB member, check out the KLM option. Don't book on to the MH codeshare or you won't earn status mileage (is that right Pieter - since there's a rule change some time ago?). KLM to CPT via AMS yields lots of miles. And remember - a transit is anything less than a 24 hour stop. So flight schedule pending, if you want to overnight in AMS and catch up with Pieter you still can without paying the airport tax. Just make sure your TA puts an 'xAMS' instead of an 'oAMS', and leave AMS within 24 hours of arrival. There's a very nice airport Sheraton at AMS. ;)

I'm actually very tempted to visit South Africa myself - but quite hard to fit in with all the other places I also want to go to. Such tough choices to make! :p

Keith,

You really are a travel agent yourself. I doubt the travel agent I use is as knowledgeable as you are in terms of routing options and FFP requirements. :good:

Cape Town`s waterfront! Good food and wonderful views! Loved it there!

Hope you guys have a good time there!

Best regards,

Darren Liew

Waterfront is idea for tourists.

If budget allowed, recommend ‘La Colombe’ in Constantia and French restaurants in Franschhoek!

:drinks:

Don't book on to the MH codeshare or you won't earn status mileage (is that right Pieter - since there's a rule change some time ago

AFAIK you can earn FB mileage on KL4102 (which is MH017) AMS-KUL (it says "only on selected stretches" for MH and this is one) :good:

Noted and thanks :good:

fly MH, most convenient :)

I know. Furthermore the transit at JNB is only about 1 hour + :) My only concern is the price especially since it will be for 3 Adults, 3 Children and 1 Infant :(

Thanks again for your tips and suggestions :drinks: Talking about George; isn't this the town which the late SA cricket captain Hansie Cronje died in an air crash a few years back :huh:

Keith,

You really are a travel agent yourself. I doubt the travel agent I use is as knowledgeable as you are in terms of routing options and FFP requirements. :good:

What about flying via the Middle East using any of the various airlines from that region :pardon:

Talking about George; isn't this the town which the late SA cricket captain Hansie Cronje died in an air crash a few years back :huh:

What about flying via the Middle East using any of the various airlines from that region :pardon:

Yep, you're right about Hansie; it was George :(

No FlyingBlue mileage on EK/QR and still involves a (long) stop-over :o

Talking about KUL-AMS Pieter, just wanna let you know that I might be in Netherlands for a year next year, due to my attend at Eerde School, but might not since ACS Cobham, UK has better one, but for KLM spotting, I might consider, sorry off topic! :D

Edited by Seth K

School looks quite exquisit, Seth, but mind you: Ommen is about 1.5-2 hours away from Schiphol airport...

http://www.eerde.nl/index.php

:sorry:

Keith,

I freaked my new TA out when I brought in my planned itinerary for the *A circle asia ticket. :p

It had like my preferred flights, summary of how I've observed the fare rules, preferred seats, how to do the SQ FQTS on Gallileo... She took a look and it and was like 'Whoa...'

But anyway - this is really nothing. Doing your research goes a long way. Which is what forums like MW, FT, SQT etc are here for.

AFAIK you can earn FB mileage on KL4102 (which is MH017) AMS-KUL (it says "only on selected stretches" for MH and this is one) :good:

Ah cool - are the codeshares on MH valid for all fare buckets though? Or only the more expensive ones?

And he can't earn FB mileage if it's an MH number on KL metal right? :huh:

As Pieter already noted, the EK/QR flights don't seem to be timed well for travel from SE Asia to Africa. Unless you want to do stopovers in the ME of course. I don't know much about the ME airlines - but so long as an airline doesn't earn *A or oneworld mileage I won't even consider them. :p

You could try the following websites which show you a list of published fares and suggested routings:

www.expertflyer.com

beta.itasoftware.com

Edited by Keith T

Ah cool - are the codeshares on MH valid for all fare buckets though? Or only the more expensive ones?

AFAIK the cheap ones still generate 50% of the mileage...the FB mileage also on KL codeshare flight on MH metal between KUL and Australia/New-Zealand...not sure if it's valid on KL metal but MH flightnumber: guess only valid for Enrich mileage...

MYR4,500?!? :o :nea: I'll do another mock booking later ...

Not sure where you got MYR4,500 from Pieter :huh: The mock booking I did just now gave me a price of more than MYR4,500 but less than MYR5,000 per Adult :nea: ... just can't remember the exact figure though :sorry:

Sign in to follow this