MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sandeep G

Malaysian Airport Infrastructure Development News

Global Upline Adviser Tan Sri Ting Pek Khing said they planned to complete the new building by Dec. 31 for it to be ready for operation by Jan. 1, to coincide with the commencement of the Visit Malaysia Year.

Wow, just in time to ring in the new year and a good start to Visit Malaysia Year 2007 :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) announced plans to expand the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in 2007 and confirmed it was in talks with AirAsia, the only carrier operating at the LCCT, regarding the project (AFP, 18-Dec-06). The Malaysian Government has reportedly requested MAHB delay the planned upgrades until 2008, to prevent any reduction in airport capacity during the ‘Visit Malaysia Year 2007’ tourism campaign.

Note: AirAsia (and its subsidaries) is the "predominant" carrier at the KLIA LCCT however, not the only carrier as reported by CAPA above. Cebu Pacific also now utilises the LCCT for its services between Manila Ninoy Aquino and KL.

Edited by Sandeep G

Would like to share some "lastest" developement in KLIA.

These vertical aerial photos were taken in early December 2006.

klia_edit.jpg

Overview of KLIA as of DEC 2006.

klia_2.jpg

Runway upgrade for 14R is almost completed, but apparently the last ~1000m section of the runway is still closed. I was wondering why they only put new asphalt in the middle of runway and taxiway?? :help: And when is it going to open for traffic? :help:

klia_3.jpg

Aerobridge upgrade to accomodate A380 is still on going. <_ the blue cover at northwing of satellite building.>

klia_1.jpg

Upgrading works for the LCCT apron seems started already. Anyone know when it is going to complete?

p/s: Sorry for the crappy image quality.

wah, where you get those images bro!

yeah~!!! can use it in FLight Sim.. Photoreal terrain for our beloved KLiA. :clapping:

klia_2.jpg

Runway upgrade for 14R is almost completed, but apparently the last ~1000m section of the runway is still closed. I was wondering why they only put new asphalt in the middle of runway and taxiway?? :help: And when is it going to open for traffic? :help:

Maybe the middle part of the runway / taxiway gets weared off quicker than other part due to the constant loads from the plane's wheel. Btw, is runway / taxiway an asphalt pavement or concrete pavement ?

One interesting fact here : Guess which airplane gives the most load / wheel ? :rolleyes:

klia_3.jpg

Aerobridge upgrade to accomodate A380 is still on going. <_ the blue cover at northwing of satellite building.>

The satellite building is almost empty ! Wonder when will it reach to its design capacity

Maybe the middle part of the runway / taxiway gets weared off quicker than other part due to the constant loads from the plane's wheel. Btw, is runway / taxiway an asphalt pavement or concrete pavement ?

usually the end of the runway is the worst part of the runway..in terms of the pavement layers strength...( though we cant see it through our naked eyes..)

this is due to the maximum load from the plane ( petrol...pax. load ++ ) before taking off/hit by touch down

KLIA runway is definitely asphalt runway with Polymer modified asphalt...(PMA)...like any other airport in the world..

its a modified asphalt with agents added to it...this is to increase the performance of the asphalt...

however, KLIA is the first airport in the world to use the jet fuel resistant asphalt or what we call as PMA JR...its a modified PMA where it can resist the fuel spillage...(fuel can deteriorate the strentgh of the pavement if it seeps through the asphalt...)..thats explain why the tarmac/apron of an airport is made by concrete and not by ashpalt....

jet fuel resistant ashpalt is a new technology in the 90's and now...its widely used for runway design around the world.

hope u can understand it :)

Edited by Fairul

wah, where you get those images bro!

Was given to me by a friend. BTW these photos were taken from approx 9000 feet.

yeah~!!! can use it in FLight Sim.. Photoreal terrain for our beloved KLiA. :clapping:

Oh really ?! You can it to texture the terrain? How about building? <_>

Thanks a bunch to Hooi Yen and Fairul for the detail explanation, now I know. :yahoo:

Off topic abit - Anyone know what is the approach altitude of an aircraft when let's say 2km or 5 km from KLIA? perhaps some of the Captain here can explain further. :help:

KLIA runway is definitely asphalt runway with Polymer modified asphalt...(PMA)...like any other airport in the world..

Some old runways, especially American-build ones such as in SGN, are concrete. Very rough and uncomfortable.

Off topic abit - Anyone know what is the approach altitude of an aircraft when let's say 2km or 5 km from KLIA? perhaps some of the Captain here can explain further. :help:

It is approximately 3 nm for every 1000 ft. So 5 km = 3 nm = 1000 ft.

It is approximately 3 nm for every 1000 ft. So 5 km = 3 nm = 1000 ft.

Thanks for replying, Capt. Radzi. :)

So I presume it is SAFE to carry out aerial survey 9000 feet above KLIA.

LCCT will reach its design capacity next year at peak hours only.

I don't really care how ppl define 'design capacity reached' but I go to LCCT almost every 3-4 weeks. Every time I'm there, dawn, morning, noon, evening, nite, there are ppl everywhere. Parking also has to be at the outer edge of carpark. My simple mind says, this place needs to be expanded.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad confirmed (28-Dec-06) the completion of the USD60 million, low cost carrier Terminal 2 at Kota Kinabalu International Airport and it commenced operations on 01-Jan-07. The two level, 13,500 sqm terminal has 26 check-in counters, 13 immigration counters and six aircraft parking bays, capable of accommodating B737 or A320 aircraft, and has capacity for 2.5 million passengers p/a. Terminal 2 has two duty free outlets, four retail outlets and four F&B outlets.

USD 60 Million vs RM110 Million for the LCC at KLIA? 2.5 million pax at KKT2 whereas 10 million pax at KLIA LCCT. hmmmmmmmmm

I know the KKT2 is much nicer looking and better finish - must be indicative that the LCC at KLIA really is a temporaryh facility to be replaced later and reutilised itself as a cargo complex.. Probably just in time for the commencement of operations by AirAsiaKargo! :D

The Government is reportedly considering intervening in a dispute between AirAsia and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) over charges at the LCC Terminal at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. AirAsia has requested MAHB lower landing and aircraft parking charges at the terminal, while MAHB is currently in negotiations with the Government to raise departure taxes, as well as landing, parking and aerobridge charges at its 39 Malaysian airports.

I don't really care how ppl define 'design capacity reached' but I go to LCCT almost every 3-4 weeks. Every time I'm there, dawn, morning, noon, evening, nite, there are ppl everywhere. Parking also has to be at the outer edge of carpark. My simple mind says, this place needs to be expanded.

LCCT is crowded because MAB have under estimated the number of pax waiting for check-in counter to open at public concourse area.

It is only crowded when most families willing to spend some fuel just to go to the airport...............Never use LCCT before but I guess it is the same situation happen at the real KLIA. At the check in area, there're millions of people, I recall one family with 7 members were crowding a check in counter just for checking in one pax, then walk to the MTB/Satelite.........barely anyone there :lol:

Can anyone tell me or share with me the current fuel farm capabilities and capacities in various Malaysian Airpots- KLIA, PEN, KCH, BKI and whether all are hydrant fed rite into the terminals? I know aviation fuel tank farms where Jet Fuel are stored are only supportive facilities, but it become CORE like the recent Buncefield Oil Terminal Disaster in UK 2 yrs ago. Did you know, that terminal supplied almost 70% of London Airports and Jet fuel supply were scarse then and long haul flights had to pick up fuel elsewhere in Europe?Some snap shots of each airport fuel farm facilities will be very helpful and useful. I am just curious!!

From my understanding, the fuel supply from KLIA comes via a pipeline and its directly supplied from PD and Melaka where Petronas, Esso and Shell have their own refineries. Then, the rest of the fuel (non-jet Fuel) get delivered to this Oil Terminal in Dengkil.

KLIA will some day achieve and hit its design limit if many main airlines decide to come back here. Lufthansa was the first!! I hope BA, AF, Qantas, Northwest will all return in a year or two. In order to do so, MAB have to woo them as well as understand their needs. None of the European airlines have hubs in KLIA while many do have in Bangkok and Singapore!! BA should think hard in re-instating flights back to KLIA en-route to destinations like Jakarta and Manila.

Whats the schedule like for KLM? Do they still operate daily and stop over in Jakarta? Perhaps They should re-introduce flights to Manila via KLIA instead of flying direct.

I also heard Austrian Airlines will stop plying to KLIA (Kangaroo route) soon. Is this true?

I think Penang airport, KK Airport should be developed further. It still looks shabby. Any idea, whats up with the new Kuching Airport?? ANy pics?

KLIA will some day achieve and hit its design limit if many main airlines decide to come back here. Lufthansa was the first!! I hope BA, AF, Qantas, Northwest will all return in a year or two.

Chance is super small ... :(

In order to do so, MAB have to woo them as well as understand their needs. None of the European airlines have hubs in KLIA while many do have in Bangkok and Singapore!!

Because demand is huge there and SIN got many high yield up front passengers.

BA should think hard in re-instating flights back to KLIA en-route to destinations like Jakarta and Manila.

That would not be good as it will cost them a lot of money. Definately not worth it. Besides, it is just not their kind of doing business style.

Whats the schedule like for KLM? Do they still operate daily and stop over in Jakarta? Perhaps They should re-introduce flights to Manila via KLIA instead of flying direct.

KL got 6x weekly flights (using their own metal). Operated by a mix of 74M & 744. Actually the stopover is in KUL, not CGK. KLM is enjoying a great load on their non-stop flight to MNL, no reason for them to re-route it via KUL again. Besides, with all the extra cost ? Not worth it.

I also heard Austrian Airlines will stop plying to KLIA (Kangaroo route) soon. Is this true?

Yes. It's true.

I think Penang airport, KK Airport should be developed further. It still looks shabby. Any idea, whats up with the new Kuching Airport?? ANy pics?

Kota Kinabalu International Airport is having a major expansion now.

Edited by Isaac

Press Release by MAB.

MALAYSIA AIRPORTS EXPAND LCC TERMINAL

Monday, January 8, 2007

Kuala Lumpur, 8 Jan-- Malaysia Airports today confirmed that plans have been developed to expand the LCCT to accommodate AirAsia X Long Haul operations. Malaysia Airports clarified that it had been informed of Airasia X plans to operate long haul about 2 months ago by Airasia X as well as the Government Authorities who had requested that full support be given to Airasia X operations.

To accommodate Airasia X use of bigger aircraft for its operations, besides the expansion of the terminal, additional aircraft parking bays are also being prepared. Malaysia Airports will also be building a Food Court near the Terminal as well as expanding the car parking area.

In response to queries on the charges, Malaysia Airports clarified that all aeronautical charges are decided and approved by the Government and thefore any airlines views would need to be conveyed to the Authorities for consideration. Malaysia Airports stated that the landing charges and parking charges at airports in Malaysia have not been increased for about 25 years and are the lowest in the region and hopefully has helped both MAS, Airasia mainly as well as other airlines to contain their cost of operations.

ISSUED BY MALAYSIA AIRPORTS BERHAD

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT:

NAME : NORLIZA KAMARUDDIN

DESIGNATION : GENERAL MANAGER CORPORATE COMM.

DIRECT LINE : 603-78463940

MOBILE : 019-2000887

NAME : MOHAMED FAISALLY

DESIGNATION : SENIOR EXECUTIVE MEDIA RELATIONS

DIRECT LINE : 603-78407182

MOBILE : 012-6846575

DATE OF RELEASE : 8 JANUARY 2007

RELEASED BY BERNAMA MEDIA RELATIONS & EVENT MANAGEMENT

the tender for the food court at LCCT is up for bid two weeks ago...

the tender for the food court at LCCT is up for bid two weeks ago...

To build the structure or to operate the food court (masak masak !) ?

To build the structure or to operate the food court (masak masak !) ?

structure...

Huhu,they should build a food court.

Currently LCCT restaurants are always full.Last time had a transit at LCCT and had to wait for 1.5 hours to get a seat at the Asian Kitchen.Newvermind MCD always FULL.

Sighs I have not been to the LCCT in KL yet... would love to use it when there is a chance...

Aiiks even KK has a LCCT terminal but not Kuching sighs... but I guess there is no more land space to build another terninal in KIA.

Btw I noticed that there are some construction works on gate 4 at KIA... not sure what are they doing... anyone has any idea? they are doing something at the tarmac...

Sighs I have not been to the LCCT in KL yet... would love to use it when there is a chance...

Aiiks even KK has a LCCT terminal but not Kuching sighs... but I guess there is no more land space to build another terninal in KIA.

Btw I noticed that there are some construction works on gate 4 at KIA... not sure what are they doing... anyone has any idea? they are doing something at the tarmac...

You're right,Edwin.If the Kuching AFB is relocated to other suitable place,then maybe we can see KCH-T2 complex (in dream)

I've noticed it too,during my flight back to Sibu on last Dec 20th.Don't have any ideas about it.But if i'm not mistaken,gate 5 is now using dual gate system,maybe for the A330s.