MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Airbus A350 XWB Development

SIA 333 are all quite new too.

Actually, the 359 is designed as a direct replacement for 772 and 343 whereas 35J is geared to compete with the 77W and the upcoming 777X.

SQ A333s were 7 year leases pending the arrival of their B787s, which were delayed. However, now that SQ has decided to deploy the B787s with TZ, I am not sure what they will do with them when the leases expire. They have also ordered a second batch of A333s, presumably to cover potential delays of their A350s.

Yes, the A359 is a direct replacement for the B772, but MH would probably want the A35J for capacity expansion as well (similar to replacing the B734 with the B738).

SQ A333s were 7 year leases pending the arrival of their B787s, which were delayed. However, now that SQ has decided to deploy the B787s with TZ, I am not sure what they will do with them when the leases expire. They have also ordered a second batch of A333s, presumably to cover potential delays of their A350s.

The 359 will also replace some of the older 333, which explains the 70x firm order for 359 they have.

The second batch of the 333, from what i read on A.net is replace their 772ER with derated engines. And yes, it is also because SIA expects the 350 won't be delivered as scheduled.

Yes, the A359 is a direct replacement for the B772, but MH would probably want the A35J for capacity expansion as well (similar to replacing the B734 with the B738).

There will be far more extra seats (359 vs 35J) compared to (734 vs 738) though. Don't MAS sometimes have problem filling the 772ER ?

Anyhow, 35J or 777-9X would be great for SYD and MEL without the need to reduce the existing flight frequency.

There will be far more extra seats (359 vs 35J) compared to (734 vs 738) though. Don't MAS sometimes have problem filling the 772ER ?

In lieu of extra seats I'd suggest giving better seat pitch for Y to avoid a repeat of the 738 config complaints. Maybe add Y+ too.

If it was me, I'd view the new plane not just as a 772 replacement but as an A333 replacement too.

In lieu of extra seats I'd suggest giving better seat pitch for Y to avoid a repeat of the 738 config complaints. Maybe add Y+ too.

If it was me, I'd view the new plane not just as a 772 replacement but as an A333 replacement too.

Yes, MH needs to improve its product offerings to be competitive. By the time the new aircraft is delivered, most of our competitors would have upgraded from their existing products. Nothing stays still in this competitive business!

Agree that the A359/35J should replace both the B772 and A333 - the early deliveries will allow the tired old B772s to retire while the later deliveries can begin to replace the A333s that were delivered in 2011.

I think the A350 is the right aircraft for MH, its much better suited for MH's current and expanding network compared to what the 787 offers.

I think MH having a shortage of A333s. This can be seen when their plan to upgrade the MEL & SYD to 3x daily using the A333. Some of the destination going back to 772. IMO, HKG shld be serve by A333 instead of A380, while the 738 is not everyone cups of tea. But with MH you never know...

I'm not an expert on MH's fleet planning but sending a 772 on the MEL route for the afternoon service would simply give the competition pax on silver platter. You have SQ with an A380, QF with an A380 and TG with slightly better product on their 772/773's along with CX's upgraded products too, and what do MH send? An old outdated 772, the 772 needs to be switched to the new morning flight while the A330 stays on the afternoon flight.

However I don't mind if MH sends their A380 down on MH148/149 ! ;)

Reasons why MH's yield is consistently lower than fellow airline are

1. Couldn't offer daily or multiple daily frequency

2. Optimize load by matching capacity to load

Without a mix fleet or variance, it is tough for MH to improve and retain yield.

Edited by KK Lee

Without a mix fleet or variance, it is tough for MH to improve and retain yield.

The goose is cooked, or at very least being cooked

Fear not though, we're here to see you through thick and thin (sarcasm notwithstanding :))

Oh my, the union voted down B777-X.....This doesn't come as surprise when Boeing seeks to cut their pension funds as well as health insurance benefits.

I believe Boeing has been enjoying better workforce relations outside Washington state. Who knows, Boeing might even open a factory in China! ;)

Here is from Airbus FB page.

1522124_789643187718634_1430634181_n.png

800x600_1388659216_DSC_6096.jpg

A350 MSN2 rolls out of paint hangar with special 'Carbon' livery

Will also be the first to fly with full passenger cabin for 'Early Long Flights'

2 JANUARY 2014
On Thursday 2nd January 2014 Airbus rolled-out its third A350 XWB flight-test aircraft, MSN2, from the paint shop in Toulouse, marking yet another successful milestone on the path to entry-into-service in Q4 2014. As well as featuring a distinctive “Carbon” signature livery to reflect its primary construction from advanced materials, this aircraft is also the first of two A350 flight test aircraft to be equipped with a full passenger cabin interior.
MSN2 will join the A350 XWB flight test fleet in the coming weeks and will be the first A350 to transport passengers when it undertakes the Early Long Flights (ELF) later in the year.
Composite materials in Airbus aircraft have seen a step-by-step introduction that started with the A310 which was first rolled-out in February 1982. Benefiting from over 30 years of composite material experience, 53% of the A350 XWB’s airframe is made-up of carbon-fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) including Airbus’ first carbon-fibre fuselage.
Source: Airbus

More pix from Airbus.

800x600_1389101648_A350_XWB_MSN2_ROLL_OU

800x600_1389101646_A350_XWB_MSN2_ROLL_OU

800x600_1389101646_A350_XWB_MSN2_ROLL_OU

800x600_1389101644_A350_XWB_MSN2_ROLL_OU

Airbus Tweet

Our #A350 XWB is in Bolivia for high altitude testing at Cochabamba & La Paz -1 of world's highest airports #AvGeeks

pic.twitter.com/VRuH96Gxlh

A350 XWB in Bolivia for high altitude testing

web.jpg

9 JANUARY 2014 PRESS RELEASE

The A350 XWB development aircraft, MSN3, is in Bolivia where it will perform a series of tests at the high altitude airfields of Cochabamba and La Paz. Cochabamba is around 8,300 feet above sea level, and La Paz is one of the world’s highest airports at 13,300 feet.
Operations at such high altitude airfields are particularly demanding on aircraft engines, Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) and systems. The aim of these trials is to demonstrate and validate the full functionality of engines, systems, materials as well as to assess the overall aircraft behaviour under these extreme conditions. A number of take-offs with all engines operating and with simulated engine failures are being performed at each of the airfields to collect data on engine operating characteristics and validate the aircraft take-off performance. The autopilot behaviour will also be evaluated during automatic landings and go-arounds.
Since the A350 XWB’s first flight with MSN1 on June 14th 2013, over 800 flight test hours have been performed in close to 200 test flights by both MSN1 and MSN3. In total the A350 XWB flight test campaign will accumulate around 2,500 flight hours with the fleet of five aircraft. The rigorous flight testing will lead to the certification of the A350-900 by the European EASA and US FAA airworthiness authorities, prior to entry into service in Q4 2014.

A350 Test Progress Exceeds Expectations

The Airbus A350 flight test program is going much better than expected, according to the company’s Senior Vice President Flight and Integration Tests Fernando Alonso. The two test aircraft flying are accumulating around 100 flight hours each per month. “In previous programs, we did around 50-55 hours per aircraft and month,” Alonso said.

Airbus has taken MSN3, the second test aircraft, to the Singapore Air Show where it will participate in the flying display for the first time. MSN1 and MSN3 logged a combined 1,025 flight hours and 505 cycles as of February 10. That puts the A350 close to half way through its test program which is aimed at 2,500 hours. Airbus plans to deliver the first aircraft in the fourth quarter of 2014­ to Qatar Airways.