MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Airbus A350 XWB Development

Lessons Learnt The Hard Way For Airbus

This was supposed to be a pivotal year for Airbus. The aircraft manufacturer had planned to ramp up production of the A350 and the new A320neo, delivering the next-generation airliners to eager customers. But the carefully scripted ramp-ups have been blown off course by suppliers, whose late deliveries have left nearly complete airplanes missing everything from engines to bathroom doors. Airbus plans to deliver 50 A350s this year. With seven months to go, it has delivered just nine. Now Airbus is going public with its ire.

Full report here:

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/lessons-learned-hard-way-airbus

MH should've ordered a dozen of these because it should arrive by the time they're in the mood to expand again. It's good for high-yield destinations in Europe and North America. With lower CASK it'll be a real winner!

MH should've ordered a dozen of these because it should arrive by the time they're in the mood to expand again. It's good for high-yield destinations in Europe and North America. With lower CASK it'll be a real winner!

The A350-900 that they have ordered essentially replaces the triple sevens.

I think MH can't justify the A350-1000 as long as they still have the A380.

MH perhaps can twist Airbus into S&P swapping A380 with A350? After all, Airbus leasing arms often does so. But then again, if MH is to buy new aircraft now, the news will be met by doom and gloom by the public. So nah......MH can lease them though.

Amirul put it nicely, A350-1000XWB is dubbed as the 777 killer. Boeing die-hard fans are now shitting their pants, arguing it won't be. Time will tell.

Anyone noticed that white panel below the A350-1000 sticker?

That is the emergency escape hatch - they reused the one fitted to the A350-900 prototype. Cost saving!

Yikes, they have the escape hatch forward of the engines ?! :huh:

Edited by BC Tam

I still think the A350 looked pretty ugly compared to the B787

Let it sink in bro. :D

I still think the A350 looked pretty ugly compared to the B787

When the BMW E60 (2004 5 Series) first came out and it was up against the Mercedes W211 (2002 E Class), I used to think the BMW was ugly and that Mercedes had a winner.

Now in 2016, when I see both cars side by side, I find the W211 looking outdated while the E60 still holds well and is still quite good looking.

Who knows what will be the case for the A350 few years down the road? *shrugs*

When the BMW E60 (2004 5 Series) first came out and it was up against the Mercedes W211 (2002 E Class), I used to think the BMW was ugly and that Mercedes had a winner.

Now in 2016, when I see both cars side by side, I find the W211 looking outdated while the E60 still holds well and is still quite good looking.

Do the operators really care on the beauty of an airplane? I think passengers are more interested in the interior than the external look.

Yeah if operators cared, nobody would buy the A380! :D

Anyway, I agree that at the beginning the A350 really didn't look good. But after time it did grow on me.

That said, I imagined that the A350-1000 would look much better than the -900 (like how the 777-300ER looks miles better than the -200), but I can barely notice any difference... (based on that one pic..)

Edited by jani

Let it sink in bro. :D

Let it sink in... not when you have something else to compared to. I always think the 787 is a sculpturally beautiful plane which started from the 7E7. The A350 looked like a half-arse solution which didn't start off with a good design concept like the 7E7. It was starting from a A330, until the airlines told them to make it look prettier.

To date I still think the nose job doesn't looked good. A300 was a classic Airbus design and that was it... so far Boeing still leads the way and they have been since the 707.

Do the operators really care on the beauty of an airplane? I think passengers are more interested in the interior than the external look.

You are right, operators don't, but some pax do. It matters to some degree.

You are right, operators don't, but some pax do

Then it's a good thing the Short Skyvan was designed for 19 pax only :D

Gosh, if ever in need of a good definition for ugly, there you have it ...... :lol:

Airbus to fly biggest A350 in battle of big twinjets

Airbus (AIR.PA) is preparing to stage the maiden flight of its largest twin-engined airplane, the A350-1000, stepping up a war for sales in a market segment dominated by U.S. rival Boeing.
Barring bad weather that could lead to a postponement, Thursday's roughly three-hour debut will add a new 366-seat member to the lightweight carbon-fibre A350 family, which entered service with the smaller A350-900 early last year.
It is part of a game of leapfrog at the top of the market for twin-engined long-haul jets, as the dominant planemakers vie to outdo each other in size and efficiency in a category expected to generate $1 trillion in orders over the next 20 years.
It is also at the center of a new subsidy row between Europe and the United States at a time of protectionist pressures on both sides of the Atlantic. The World Trade Organization is expected to rule in coming days that Boeing received at least one strand of banned support for its response to the A350-1000, known as the 777X.
More:

First A350-1000 becomes airborne for its maiden flight

csm_A350-1000_First_Flight_3_73021adac8.

· Flight-test programme now underway;
· Three development aircraft will prepare A350-1000 programme for certification.
24 NOVEMBER 2016 PRESS RELEASE
The first A350-1000 took off this morning for its maiden flight at Blagnac in Toulouse, France at 10.42 hrs local time. The A350-1000 is Airbus’ largest and most powerful twin-engined airliner ever – and the world’s most fuel efficient large widebody. Equipped with specially developed Rolls-Royce Trent XWB-97 turbofans, the A350-1000’s first flight is taking place over south-western France.
The crew in the cockpit on board this flight comprise: Hugues van der Stichel, Experimental Test Pilot; Frank Chapman, Experimental Test Pilot and Gérard Maisonneuve, Test-Flight Engineer. Furthermore, monitoring all the test parameters at the Flight-Test-Instrumentation (FTI) station behind the cockpit are: Patrick du Ché, Head of Flight & Integration Tests; Emanuele Costanzo, Head of A350 Development Flight Tests; and Stéphane Vaux, Flight-Test Engineer.
Benefitting from the experience of the original A350-900 test campaign (accomplished in 2014), the A350-1000’s development programme will be shorter – under one year for the three aircraft. The overall campaign will culminate in the type’s certification followed by its entry into airline service scheduled for the second half of 2017.
The A350-1000 is the latest member of the Airbus leading widebody family, together with the A330neo, offering unprecedented levels of operating efficiency, low noise and true long-range capability. As well as having a longer fuselage to accommodate 40 more passengers than the A350-900, the A350-1000 also features a modified wing trailing-edge, new six-wheel main landing gears and more powerful Rolls-Royce Trent XWB-97 engines. The A350-1000 embodies all of the fuel efficiency and ‘Airspace’ cabin comfort of the original A350-900 – but with extra size perfectly tailored for our customers on some of their busiest long-haul routes. To date 11 customers from five continents have placed orders for a total of 195 A350-1000s.
More:

It's supposed to be the about the same size/length as the 77W but somehow it still looks shorter. Beautiful nonetheless. Hope MH/SQ get it.