MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Ng

Qatar Airways Increasing Capacity to KUL

Thanks Izanee for sharing. I wonder when QR will get rid of their older A330s and send newer aircraft into KUL. Nevertheless, it is good news for KUL spotters. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

From Jim Liu's site:

QATAR Airways Increases Kuala Lumpur Service July/August 2015

by JL

Update at 0600GMT 11MAY15

QATAR Airways from 02JUL15 to 29AUG15 is increasing Doha Kuala Lumpur operations, with additional 3 weekly flights being offered during this period. Overall frequency will increase from 21 to 24 weekly as a result.

Planned new service as follow.

QR856 DOH0200 1500KUL 332 246

QR857 KUL1700 1930ODH 332 246

In addition, QR will be increasing its flights to KUL to 24 weekly. New flights as below:

QR856 DOH0200 – 1500KUL 332 246

QR857 KUL1700 – 1930DOH 332 246

Seems like QR is adding even more capacity to KUL this July. The additional QR 856/857 will be operated by 77L on most Tuesdays and 77W on Thursdays and Saturdays instead of the 332.

Seems like QR is adding even more capacity to KUL this July. The additional QR 856/857 will be operated by 77L on most Tuesdays and 77W on Thursdays and Saturdays instead of the 332.

Could only mean o&d Kul to eur pax number is increasing or qr taken market share from others.

10-across economy layout confirmed for QR B777-300s

Following in the footsteps of its fellow Gulf carriers, Qatar Airways has confirmed that all subsequent deliveries of its B777-300 aircraft will feature a 10-across seating layout.

The news follows our earlier report (see here) that the airline's newest B777-300ER, delivered earlier this month, surprised passengers with a 3-4-3 economy configuration - different to the 3-3-3 layout previously offered.
Realities of economics is starting to reign.

Quick question, if I take a QR flight with a long stopover in DOH, can I leave the airport to explore the city? As Malaysian, is a visa required?

Yes you may. But you may be charged a visa which you can pay at the immigration counter (same counter where you get your passport stamped) using Visa/ MC creditcards.

Not sure if you get a waiver if you are on a say, same-day transit. But worst case is just a charge on your creditcard.

Quick question, if I take a QR flight with a long stopover in DOH, can I leave the airport to explore the city? As Malaysian, is a visa required?

You get visa on arrival. It's about 50 QAR - maybe 60 ringgit or so. But if you're arriving midnight, forget it, nothing to do there. If daytime, quite worthwhile

Edited by Suzanne Goh

Worth checking with QR if you qualify for a free stopover with hotel thrown in for free.

There's also a free first-come-first-serve Doha city tour. I think they do only 3 tours a day, one morning, one afternoon and one early evening. Unless it has moved recently, the desk can easily be missed and is located diagonally across from the yellow teddy. This is totally free and you may make use of this if it fits your schedule, seats are available and is what you had in mind.

The free city tour is OK-ish. The part which takes you to the old souk is the best as you see "real people". The rest of the city is "manufactured", like most of Dubai. It could have been a make-believe movie set in Hollywood.

Thanks Mushrif and Suzanne for the info.

Since I am (planning on) traveling one way on QR and returning on MH from LHR (Enrich redemption), I am exploring some possibilities.

I have noticed that flights with long stopovers (12 hours) are not that differently priced vs multi-city bookings.

So was thinking of actually spending one night at a nice hotel by arriving early morning, exploring Doha for a bit, check-in hotel, leave for LHR next afternoon.

Is it worth it to do that? Any really nice hotels to try out? Or is the 12 hour stopover enough and instead spend the extra day in London?

Thoughts please! Thank you! :D

PS: Am thinking of flying through SIN, get to try the A350.. Again, is it worth the hassle?

Worth checking with QR if you qualify for a free stopover with hotel thrown in for free.

Any idea how to do this?

I have noticed that flights with long stopovers (12 hours) are not that differently priced vs multi-city bookings.

So was thinking of actually spending one night at a nice hotel by arriving early morning, exploring Doha for a bit, check-in hotel, leave for LHR next afternoon.

Is it worth it to do that? Any really nice hotels to try out? Or is the 12 hour stopover enough and instead spend the extra day in London?

Thoughts please! Thank you! :D

PS: Am thinking of flying through SIN, get to try the A350.. Again, is it worth the hassle?

Any idea how to do this?

Your observation is correct - Qatar's married segment logic places a huge premium on direct connections and longer stops end up being cheaper.

But since you seem flexible with time, then yes, I would recommend you visit Doha - but as Mushrif points out , a lot of the modernity is manufactured and built by banglas !

But all good - some of the older souks still retain their charm but otherwise I classify Doha as the third largest mall in the Middle East after Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

As for the 350 - it's worth it if you're a plane nut. I flew their first one A7-ALA in August from SIN-DOH and thought it was very nice indeed. Worth the extra hop to Singapore to get it.

1. The A350 is worth the detour if you are into planes and dont mind the extra $$ that you could end up paying.

2. If you could arrange to arrive early morning in DOH and leave early evening or late afternoon to LHR, you should be able to squeeze in the free DOH city tour. Not many people know about it so most times tour coaches just leave half empty.

3. An extra night in LON is worth many times a night in DOH. That free city tour should give you a gist of what DOH has to offer (which isnt much really). Unless you want to spend hours in some of the museums and you are into that kind of stuff, it is not worth a one night stay. Also "nice hotels" are not exactly cheap.

4. If you want to experience M-east culture, DOH is not the place as it is largely manufactured, glitzy and Disney-fied. MCT, JED et al are better, so you wont be missing much even if you "fly through" DOH with a quick tour.

Btw, assuming you will be travelling in same class of service throughout your journey, it may be a bit of an anti climax to have the (or part of) outbound on the A350 and returning on MH 380. Is it possible to do the other way around? I dont know what market fares are like for one way QR originating from LHR vs. from KUL but you may save a bit on the UK APD too by breaking the inbound journey via DOH

1. The A350 is worth the detour if you are into planes and dont mind the extra $$ that you could end up paying.

2. If you could arrange to arrive early morning in DOH and leave early evening or late afternoon to LHR, you should be able to squeeze in the free DOH city tour. Not many people know about it so most times tour coaches just leave half empty.

3. An extra night in LON is worth many times a night in DOH. That free city tour should give you a gist of what DOH has to offer (which isnt much really). Unless you want to spend hours in some of the museums and you are into that kind of stuff, it is not worth a one night stay. Also "nice hotels" are not exactly cheap.

4. If you want to experience M-east culture, DOH is not the place as it is largely manufactured, glitzy and Disney-fied. MCT, JED et al are better, so you wont be missing much even if you "fly through" DOH with a quick tour.

1. Yeah fares not that bad,

2. Thought of this, and is certainly possible. However, just wanted to try out some hotels in Doha.

3. I will be in London for a total of 6 nights even if I break journey in Doha. So no big deal.

4. Understand. However after being in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Doha is naturally next :D

Btw, assuming you will be travelling in same class of service throughout your journey, it may be a bit of an anti climax to have the (or part of) outbound on the A350 and returning on MH 380. Is it possible to do the other way around? I dont know what market fares are like for one way QR originating from LHR vs. from KUL but you may save a bit on the UK APD too by breaking the inbound journey via DOH

Not possible unfortunately. Am meeting family in London and traveling back together. So must be on MH. I would have preferred your idea otherwise.

Again, thanks both Mushrif and Suzanne for the tips :)

Not possible unfortunately. Am meeting family in London and traveling back together. So must be on MH. I would have preferred your idea otherwise.

Again, thanks both Mushrif and Suzanne for the tips :)

I don't know your ticket conditions but if you can do EU-LHR-KUL (with layover at London not exceeding 24 hours), you'll save on the £142 APD (a simple turnaround at BGO/SVG/BRU etc. are good, or if you are brave and can run fast, DUB).

Edited by Craig

Keep getting this error when trying to book multi-city on Qatar:

"We are unable to confirm the fare for the flights you have selected. Please choose a different fare or flights and resubmit your request. (15012 - 23951 - 25111)"

Anybody know why?

Keep getting this error when trying to book multi-city on Qatar:

"We are unable to confirm the fare for the flights you have selected. Please choose a different fare or flights and resubmit your request. (15012 - 23951 - 25111)"

Anybody know why?

If you don't mind, give me the dates and route and the exact flights you wanted. I'll look the detailed fare rules and see if you've "langgar" some condition.

Planning to take QR943 from SIN on 19/12/15 and then QR9 to LHR on 20/12/15.

Main reasons I want this route is that I get the A350 and the A380. Have heard not so good reviews of their 787!

If you have time, could also suggest any other alternative where ideally I get to try the A350 and spend 5-6 hours in Doha city.

Much appreciated!

EDIT:

How good are their 777-300ER's?

Alternatively will just fly out of KUL if scheduling is too complicated.

Edited by jani

Main reasons I want this route is that I get the A350 and the A380. Have heard not so good reviews of their 787!

If you have time, could also suggest any other alternative where ideally I get to try the A350 and spend 5-6 hours in Doha city.

Much appreciated!

EDIT:

I have not tried their A350 or A380 yet, but a couple of times in the 777-300ER. For me, it is good in both Y and J. They even give out pyjamas in J for the DOH-KUL sector.

Much appreciated!

EDIT:

Ok got it now: the fare you are looking for is the SHR9R1RQ SIN-LHR through fare (that's what you saw originally quoted on the net for SGD950) .. This is an IT issue that can't keep up with Qatar's married segment logic.

Whilst there is nothing in the fare rules to say you've broken a rule, the infamous QR married segment logic has come into play.

QR943 connecting QR9 has Zero S class seats (which i've bolded to make easier to see). But if you search SIN-DOH, or DOH-LHR separately, you'll find plenty. I just called a travel agent to see if it could be booked via a GDS separately and it won't confirm properly. Suggest you book direct SIN-LHR and choose from those options there, or, make a CLEAR >23:59 stopover (more than 1 full day) when doing multi city (as per the fare rules, will cost you USD100 more)

What is confusing the system is that you're doing multi city, but not having a REAL stopover longer than a full day.

Flight Availability Search
Departing SIN on 19/12/15 10:00 for LHR
Flying QR
Frequency
Flight Stops Depart Arrive Aircraft Reliability Available Classes
1 Connection
QR 943 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J0 C0 D0 I0 Y2 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
19/12/15 10:45 19/12/15 13:45 62% / 18m
QR 15 0 DOH LHR 788 Daily J0 C0 D0 I0 Y2 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
19/12/15 15:40 19/12/15 20:25 84% / 12m
1 Connection
QR 943 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J7 C6 D4 I4 Y5 B4 H3 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
QR 5 0 DOH LHR 333 Daily J7 C6 D4 I4 Y5 B4 H3 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
19/12/15 17:10 19/12/15 22:00 72% / 20m
1 Connection
QR 945 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J3 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
19/12/15 20:25 19/12/15 23:25 77% / 26m
QR 9 0 DOH LHR 388 Daily F3 P0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
20/12/15 1:40 20/12/15 6:20 95% / 7m
1 Connection
QR 945 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
QR 7 0 DOH LHR 77W Su,T,W,Th,F,Sa J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
20/12/15 6:20 20/12/15 11:05 88% / 11m
1 Connection
QR 943 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J6 C2 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
QR 9 0 DOH LHR 388 Daily F5 P0 A0 J6 C2 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
20/12/15 1:40 20/12/15 6:20 95% / 7m
1 Connection
QR 945 0 SIN DOH 359 Daily J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K4 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
QR 3 0 DOH LHR 388 Daily F0 P0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K4 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 T0 O0
20/12/15 7:45 20/12/15 12:25 89% / 13m

Added section of the rules that talks about stopovers:

5 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT

LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 4 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

1 FREE IN EUROPE/AFRICA

1 FREE IN AREA 3/AREA 1

1 IN DOH OUTBOUND AT USD 100.00

4 IN EUROPE/AFRICA/AREA 3/AREA 1 AT USD 100.00

EACH.

A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 7 DAYS.

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.

PURCHASE OF AN OFFICIAL QR HOLIDAY STOPOVER

PACKAGE WILL SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULES STOPOVER

FEES AND RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO QR OFFICES AND QR

HOLIDAYS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OFFICIAL

STOPOVER PACKAGE AND BOOKING PROCESS.

PURCHASE OF ONEWORLD MIDDLE EAST PASS IN

CONJUCTION WITH INTERNATIONAL QR TICKET WILL

SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULE STOPOVER FEE AND

RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO INFORMATION ON WORLD

MIDDLE EAST PASS. AGENT SHOULD CONTACT QR OFFICE

AND PROVIDE PNR DETAILS AND TICKET DETAILS OF

BOTH LONG HAUL TICKET AND ME PASS TICKET.SAME

INFORMATION SHOULD BE FORWARDED BY QR OFFICE.

--------------------------------------------------

ALL STOPOVER FOR THE PURPOSE OF CONNECTION STPC

MAY BE PROVIDED FOR ITINERARIES WHERE SHORTEST

STOPOVER OPTION IS MORE THAN 8 HOURS AND LESS

THAN 24 HORUS FOR FULL DETAILS CONTACT LOCAL QR

OFFICE OR REFER TO GGAIRQRSTPC IN AMADEUS.

-----------------------------------------------

IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING

FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT

THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE

FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY

EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.

-----------------------------------------------

IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA

TWO SEPARATE TICKETS NEED TO BE BOUGHT.

--------------------

Edited by Suzanne Goh

Thanks for checking Suzanne. Really appreciate your effort and explanation!

Anyway, booking direct SIN-LHR would not show fares ~SGD950. Most of them will cost upwards of SGD1200... Unless I travel on 20/12/15 from SIN (means losing a day of holiday :().

It is significantly cheaper to fly out of KUL on the 77W but will miss out on the A350 it seems..

Anyway thanks all for the assistance. Will need to further deliberate on the best course of action :)

Thanks for checking Suzanne. Really appreciate your effort and explanation!

Anyway, booking direct SIN-LHR would not show fares ~SGD950. Most of them will cost upwards of SGD1200... Unless I travel on 20/12/15 from SIN (means losing a day of holiday :().

It is significantly cheaper to fly out of KUL on the 77W but will miss out on the A350 it seems..

Anyway thanks all for the assistance. Will need to further deliberate on the best course of action :)

You're welcome - This problem that QR has is not new :) i had a suspicion it was that, just needed to confirm it.

Sorry for the neverending questions.. :D

But QR Y 77W or 787? Which is better?

77W. Even my non avgeek elderly parents complained that QR 787 is 'sempit' (too narrow/ uncomfortable) and now blankety refuse to be booked on QR again!

Sign in to follow this