MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Changi Airport Spotting

KC went to Disneyland??

Or maybe 'Neverland'.....

Cheers KC for those 'pioneer' shots! Love those fatty 380s......

Again: awesome shots, K C !!! :drinks:

Good to hear both the 772 and 744 back in SQ-service :good:

How to get into the ramp area?

KC, thanks for lens info. Your head on wingtip to wingtip shot of SQ A345 is especially beautiful. Surprised that it could fit into 17mm.

Waiping : Ramp access was a mutual arrangement with SIA, one could not otherwise pay for such access. It probably is similar to the recent ramp excursion by Azahan, Jonathan and gang at KLIA. And trust me, if it sounded every bit as fun as they made it out to be, it is. Disneyland ?? not at all, much much much much better.

Fablee : The wingtip to wingtip shot barely went into the 17mm. But with the nose area clear of equipment, one could easily inch backward (or forward) to utilise every millimeter of the lens' coverage.

This weekend installment contains a few B777s . . . I try my best not to let SIA's 77 B777s overwhelm but restrict myself to just a few that tells their own story. . . starting with a very typical one rotating off runway 02C. This wears what I consider to be a hybrid livery (more on that later). First sighting of the hybrid livery months ago was by Vernon. His sharp eyes (honed by his interest in aircraft models) noticed the differences that would have otherwise just flown by me.

mw-9V-SQI-2009-05-13-01Cr-HybridCS-.jpg

Here a B772 taxies by wearing the new (or perhaps one could say the current) livery.

mw-9V-SRM-2009-05-13-04Cr-TXS.jpg

From exactly the same spot is another B772 wearing the hybrid livery . . . the difference lies only in the tail markings. The golden bird is smaller and the bottom of the tail does not feature the horizontal cut.

mw-9V-SRL-2009-05-13-05Cr-HybridCS-.jpg

As a B772 was towed from Terminal 3 towards Terminal 2, the morning arrival from London-Heathrow appears over it.

mw-9V-SQM-2009-05-13-01Cr-TOW-A380.jpg

One of my favourite B772 in SIA's fleet is 9V-SRE in the Star Alliance livery. Here it is showing off its "STAR" quality to other members of the fleet and other passer-bys. The only other B777 that can flaunt a similar boast is 9V-SYE, a B773.

mw-9V-SRE-2009-05-13-01aCr-StarAlli.jpg

For 75 other B777s, they could only boast a minor Star-rating via the Star Alliance logo behind the cockpit. But from this angle, one could appreciate the gorgeous nose of the B777. Personally, the only other plane with a nicer nose is the DC-10.

mw-9V-SRG-2009-05-13-01Br-RMP-Nose.jpg

The discovery of a second puddle brought Andrew and me lots of excitement, except that this one is too close to the aircraft for a full-body reflection. And so I had to contend with this.

mw-9V-STB-2009-05-13-31Cr-RMS-NoseR.jpg

When this A330-300 was pushed back, huge clouds flew overhead and shrouded it in "darkness". Andrew and I - shamelessly optimistic as always - kept faith and were rewarded when a break in the clouds lit it up just as it began to taxy.

mw-9V-STE-2009-05-13-03Cr-TXP.jpg

And here are two action shots of the A330-300 headed to either Brisbane or Perth.

mw-9V-STE-2009-05-13-08Cr-TOS.jpg

mw-9V-STD-2009-05-13-04Cr-TOS.jpg

Thanks for viewing and especially for your comments and queries.

KC Sim

Brilliant work KC.

Was that just a one off experience with Andrew! or by liasing with the right people would you be able to pull something like this off again in the future.

Cheers & regards Greg

Beautiful pixies !!! Love the rotation and wide angle shots!

Both SPG and SQB were recently seen at the hangar. SQB is brought back online because it's one of the few in B772 fleet equipped with the latest EFB. Only those B772 without the EFB will be decommissioned and parked.

Wow! Lovely shots from the tarmac.

All SQ shots look so beautiful. :clapping:

Thanks for sharing, KC. :good:

Edited by Chaity

I don't mind cutting grass there for free. As long as they let me bring in and use my camera. :p

Great subjects, but appalling weather. No thanks to our 'good' neighbour for the haze that i don't need.

While waiting for Firefly, caught this A320 reposition from WSSL. Egypt-based start up - Nile Air's first leased A320 (I believe). There's another one in WSSL.

SU-BQB_WSSS_120709.jpg

For once, the long pencil landed on the Right runway.

D-AIHO_WSSS_120709.jpg

Thanks for viewing. :)

Nice catch, Kianhong. This is Nile Air's first A320 and it has been at Seletar Airport for months aleady.

Waiping : A grasscutter's job that allows for photography is exactly my idea of "The Best Job in the World" - even if it comes with no remuneration. And I am certain there will be a frantic and cut-throat competition for that job.

Once again, here's another installment of shots from Changi's ramp . . . beginning with "the making of that A330 reflection". Demonstrating it is Andrew Hunt, of course.

mw-AndrewHunt-2009-05-13-33Cr-Momen.jpg

Every morning just as dawn breaks, one could expect a B777-300ER arriving from Barcelona and Milan. I remember the scepticism when SIA launched this route. In the final seconds of its flight, it is seen floating past the SASCO hangar with a B747-200F of NCA (previously operated by Air Bridge Cargo) in front of it.

mw-9V-SWK-2009-05-13-02Cr-LDS.jpg

With the departure of 9V-TAA to White Airlines of Portugal recently, this is now the oldest Tiger specimen in Singapore.

mw-9V-TAB-2009-05-13-02Cr-TOP.jpg

Turning off runway 02C after landing, this Tiger's A320 is just a couple of minutes' taxying time from the Budget Terminal.

mw-9V-TAF-2009-05-13-01Cr-TXP.jpg

Falcon Aviation Services (FAS) regularly send its Gulfstream G450 to Singapore and the region. Here, it takes a well-deserved rest at a remote stand on the Eastern side of Changi Airport.

mw-A6-FLG-2009-05-13-02Cr-RMP.jpg

Another visitor from the UAE is Emirates B777-300ER. It had earlier arrived from Brisbane and after a short stop, it now takes off for Dubai with a load of passengers - many of whom are ultimately destined for European destinations.

mw-A6-ECJ-2009-05-13-03Cr-TOS.jpg

Qatar Airways operates a daily flight from Doha to Singapore that continues on to Jakarta. After having photographed it countless times landing in high sun, I was pleased to see it in my camera's viewfinder in far better light when it departs to Jakarta. This accounts for the sequence of three shots.

mw-A7-AEI-2009-05-13-01Cr-TOP.jpg

mw-A7-AEI-2009-05-13-03Br-TOP.jpg

mw-A7-AEI-2009-05-13-05Cr-TOP-Nose.jpg

Rounding off this installment is a pair of Airbus A330-300s . . . with Thai's older specimen passing behind SIA's recently delivered one. Thai has also begun receiving newer ones in the last couple of months.

mw-AirbusTwins-2009-05-13-01Cr.jpg

KC Sim

Lovely shots there as always KC.... so jealous

Thanks for sharing :drinks:

Fabulous SIN-city shots !!! :good:

Hope to see some of the airlines myself in a few weeks' time :pardon:

Great sequence shots of the Oryx 333, K C... :drinks:

More ramp shots . . . thanks to all for viewing and for your feedback. Hope you enjoy this installment.

China now has become the newest source of special liveries . . . although few make it to Singapore, I was glad to catch its Beijing 2008 B737-800 on the ramp.

mw-B-5178-2009-05-13-04Cr-Beijing20.jpg

More Chinese connection . . . in the form of a Cathay Pacific A330-300 taxying to 02C while a Xiamen Airlines B737-800 climbs out.

mw-B-HLI-2009-05-13-04Br-TXS-Xiamen.jpg

With 77 Boeing 777s in its fleet, it is not surprising that wherever one looks, there will always be some of them. In this view, three B777s are headed for runway 02C as another is on final approach.

mw-ChangiAirport-2009-05-13-01Cr.jpg

I wish there is a way to let the pilot of this Lufthansa B747-400 know how much we appreciated his slowing down as we frantically clicked away. And when Andrew and I finally put down our camera, he once again powered up and proceeded to depart to Jakarta. Wir bedanken uns herzlich!! Das is sehr nett von Ihnen!!

mw-D-ABVT-2009-05-13-03Cr-TXS.jpg

Nippon Cargo's B747-400 disappointed us with a longer-than-expected take-off run . . . and a pity it wasn't the one with the green nose.

mw-JA07KZ-2009-05-13-06Cr-TOS.jpg

What an amazing cheatline!!! This Falcon 2000EX is seldom seen in this part of the world and carries the registration from the Isle of Man.

mw-M-STCO-2009-05-13-03Cr-RMP-Close.jpg

mw-M-STCO-2009-05-13-02Cr-RMP.jpg

For Trijet fans like me, the appearance of UPS' MD-11Fs on a regular basis is a godsend. Now we often get three of them at Changi Airport each day.

mw-N283UP-2009-05-13-04Cr-TXP.jpg

Joining the parade of AirAsia aircraft into and out of Changi Airport each day are the A320s of Indonesia AirAsia. If only this company is as prolific as its parent company in applying special liveries . . . but for now, we have to make do with the standard one.

mw-PK-AXE-2009-05-13-01Cr-TXS.jpg

Garuda Indonesia operates a daily flight between Jakarta and Beijing via Singapore using the B737-800 with winglets. Let's hope that these soon get painted in its new livery.

mw-PK-GEF-2009-05-13-03Cr-VisitIndo.jpg

mw-PK-GEF-2009-05-13-09Cr-VisitIndo.jpg

KC Sim

Marvelous shots,KC.. Btw,I noticed that there is no winglet on port size of Air China B738..

You took it home?? :p

Marvelous shots,KC.. Btw,I noticed that there is no winglet on port size of Air China B738..

You took it home?? :p

isn't in real world are with no winglet? hehe....

KC, enjoy every single pixes that you share with us here! how i wish most of us can have such GOLDEN opportunity. once again, KUDOS! :clapping: :good:

The angle of that Falcon nose-shot is awesome !!! :yahoo:

Really makes the most beautiful Bizzer even more sexy :pardon: