MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Changi Airport Spotting

Are all SQ A380 grounded? I couldn't find any information on flightstats.com.

No. They are all busy flying twice daily to London, daily to Sydney and daily to Narita.

KC Sim

Progress Hong Kong is one of the more elusive A333 in CX's fleet to visit SIN. :D

B-LAD_MW.jpg

Edited by Hoe Jyh

Was hoping to fly this bird 02nov on the HKG-SGN flight, however, it's been 'upgraded' to a 340 :(

Nice shot, Hoe Jyh !!! :pardon:

Was hoping to fly this bird 02nov on the HKG-SGN flight, however, it's been 'upgraded' to a 340 :(

Nice shot, Hoe Jyh !!! :pardon:

Uncle Pieter will soon be in town?!

This morning started bright and early with two relatively new visitors to Singapore . . .

Firstly, Lufthansa kicked off its winter schedule with A340-600s operating two of its five weekly Munich-Singapore-Munich flights. If only more airlines operate a mixed fleet on a single route . . .

mw-D-AIHP-2008-10-31-03Cr-APP.jpg

Thanks to heads-up by Emperor Jon . . . I was on the lookout for Air India's A319 . . . and one appeared to day. Really cute little fella.

mw-VT-SCG-2008-10-31-01Cr-APP.jpg

KC Sim

Uncle Pieter will soon be in town?!

Yes, both in HKG (02nov) and SIN (09nov) soon !!! :yahoo: :pardon:

Yes, both in HKG (02nov) and SIN (09nov) soon !!! :yahoo: :pardon:

Let me know if you need a ride to spotting locations! And I do not mean airport viewing galleries (puke...)!

Changi Airport can be extremely sleepy in the early morning hours... but for 4 minutes every morning....the heavies arrive..

Besides the LH346 that KC has shown you, here are the other 2 arriving in that space of 4 mins.

9vskd-web.jpg

vhoeh-web.jpg

The newest carrier operating to Singapore - Best Air - seems to be rather surprisingly punctual. The 162-seater MD-83 leased from Transglobal Airways seems to be performing the task efficiently and twice a week on Mondays and Fridays, it was an opportunity for us to photograph it. Today - for the first time - it was parked at gate C15 in Terminal One's central apron.

mw-RP-C8018-2008-11-07-02Cr-BestAir.jpg

A hard-to-photograph visitor to Changi Airport is the A320 of Jetstar Airways (JQ) . . . but in the winter, it comes in just past 1830hrs and the sun is by this time hugging the horizon. Today, it still shone brightly on the A320 when it arrived at 1823hrs.

mw-VH-VQY-2008-11-07-02Cr-APP.jpg

Of late, Thai Airways International seems to be deploying the A340-500 and sometimes the A340-600 to SIN . . . it is seen here departing SIN on the morning flight TG402.

mw-HS-TLD-2008-11-04-01Cr-TOS.jpg

mw-HS-TLD-2008-11-04-04Cr-TOS.jpg

KC Sim

8th Nov 2008, Saturday...

P1010180.jpg

Love Jet looking crisp and smart in the new livery.

P1010195.jpg

The A380 is becoming such a non-event at Changi, that I hardly ever flinch now when I see one.

P1010199.jpg

Arabian knight personified... Decked out in the official coat of arms!

8th Nov 2008, Saturday...

P1010195.jpg

The A380 is becoming such a non-event at Changi, that I hardly ever flinch now when I see one.

You must have really been around the A380 too much and hit by a case of over-exposure :rofl: Perhaps your work takes you right up close to the A380 on an almost daily basis.

For me, I still find myself staring at it until it disappears from view. Although I initially did not think I liked its shape, I have grown to admire its overall profile - especially from the 3/4 front angle. This despite having photographed it on all its first three visits to SIN and the Asia Pacific from Nov 2005 to Dec 2006, at the Paris Air Show in Jun 2005, at the handover ceremony in TLS in Oct 2007 and at its arrival ceremony on 17 Oct 2007, on its maiden flight SIN-SYD-SIN and the inaugural SIN-NRT(-NGO-) flight, taking off on its SIN-LHR inaugural flight on 18 Mar 2008, arrival of various delivery flights including the latest 9V-SKF, chasing it with our Malaysian friends when the A380 went to KUL on training flights, and recently, at Hamburg-Finkenwerder where 9V-SKF was on an acceptance flight just before being delivered to SIN.

Perhaps in years to come, I will come to regard it in the same manner as I do the Boeing 747 and DC-10. Even now, I continue to admire these two types when they appear before me . . . and they are each around or more than 30 years old. Don't think I pay too much attention to the likes of A320s.

KC Sim

KC,

LOL... I don't know. I was one of the HUNDREDS crowding the Changi beach on Oct 17th. It was easy to plonk myself there as my office then was at the Cargo Complex. I collected almost every article and inflight magazine imagineable that had something to say about the A380 (I hold on very tightly to the Nov issue of Silver Kris). Of course I creamed in my pants when I saw the A380 swooping overhead for the landing... FOR THE FIRST TIME. It was a BEAUTIFUL sight I wanted to cry.

2nd time.. felt like crying, 3rd time... felt like crying, 4th time... felt much better, 5th time... there goes another one, 6th time... there goes another one, 7th time... Awwww look at the MAS 737 still Visit M'sia Year meh??...

You get the idea. I got used to looking at the A380 now that there are several of them lumbering about the tarmac.

As for the rest of the aircraft types, I do not pay much attention to business jets. If ever I see one on approach, I use them as practise shots for the airliners following behind. :)

Edited by Ryan Soh

The weather has been so dismal lately . . . it is beginning to feel like our photography hobby is a washout. But in between, when something special comes along, one still squeezes something out of it . . .

This morning (24 Nov), HVL401 from Bangkok was due at 1045hrs . . . with no indication which HeavyLift aircraft type it would be. The Shorts Belfast was last seen in Johor Bahru about two weeks ago and so there was every expectation that it just might be it. And it would be really nice. But HeavyLift has something better up its sleeves . . . it brought in A6-HLC, a DC-8-63F!!! When was the last time I saw a DC-8 at Changi?

mw-A6-HLC-2008-11-24-01Cr-HeavyLift.jpg

Lately, an Antonov AN-124-100 of Volga-Dnepr Airlines has been making its rounds in the region. After spending some time in Singapore, it went off to Biak and returned to Singapore before disappearing somewhere. On the morning of 22 Nov, it positioned from Paya Lebar to Changi!!! And later today, it is departing to somewhere again . . . with no indication on the flightboard where that destination would be. This was photographed on its arrival at Changi on 22 Nov.

mw-RA-82079-2008-11-22-03Cr-VDA-APS.jpg

Indonesia AirAsia's B737-300 carries the Visit Indonesia 2008 sticker prominently . . . seen here arriving from Pekan Bahru.

mw-PK-AWN-2008-11-22-01Cr-Indonesia.jpg

And Qantas flight from PER now arrives in the morning . . . compared to a long overnight stay previously.

mw-VH-QPE-2008-11-22-02Cr-oc-APS.jpg

KC Sim

Wow nice catch of the classic DC-8 freighter! Totally gorgeous blue skies there last weekend, can't wait for my exams to end to grab those new morning arrivals! :help:

Some awesome shots again, KC, esp. the DC-8-63 freighter and the blinking AHTOHOB 124-100 somemore :pardon:

Please, do keep those SIN pictures coming :yahoo:

Hi Pieter,

this is the first time I noticed where the Antonov 124 blinks . . . with western-built planes, we know where the strobes are. But the Ruskies seem to have them all over the place. I was really lucky with this blinking giant.

I do however wish the AN-225 will make an appearance here . . . but her trip to this side of the world seems to tie in with disaster relief work - earthquake mostly. So in that case, perhaps it is a good thing that it does not come this way.

Here's another view of the HeavyLift DC-8-63F . . . learnt that it had a heavy landing incident on 1 Sep 2008. In this pic, you could see the msn number just below the registration. How convenient.

mw-A6-HLC-2008-11-24-04Cr-HeavyLift.jpg

Some recent sightings: Garuda is sending her B737-500s to SIN more regularly. Wonderful deviation from the endless stream of B734s + B733s.

mw-PK-GGC-2008-11-22-02Cr-APS.jpg

A couple of bizjets arrive in SIN on most days . . . two recent ones include HB-JSS and OE-INP (saw a sister-ship of this in Subang on 11 Nov 2008).

mw-HB-JSS-2008-11-08-01Cr-APS.jpg

mw-OE-INP-2008-11-08-01Cr-APS.jpg

KC Sim

'Purple Nok' HS-TDB operated one of the few special flights from U-Tapao (Pattaya) airport yesterday morning as a result of the recent crisis at BKK and DMK.

HS-TDB_DD6311_MW.jpg