MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Changi Airport Spotting

When Airbus announced the delays in the A380's delivery, it similarly affected every customer airline. All the affected deliveries were pushed back by almost two years. No airline - including SQ - was given any favour and none expected any.

For those who are crying "Foul!" and saying that it is unfair for SQ to get all these deliveries ahead of Emirates and Qantas, delivery positions are established long ago (either at the time of order or sometime soon after). And perhaps it should be remembered that Emirates and SQ were supposed to receive the first aircraft for their fleet at about the same time for a co-ordinated entry into service on their respective London-Heathrow routes. According to that plan, SQ was supposed to be given the honour of having the first A380 take off from SIN to LHR and while it is in the air, EK's A380 will take off and both will arrive in LHR together with EK being given the honour of the first landing at LHR. This plan was foiled when EK decided on the GP7200 engines.

Anyhow, 9V-SKC went for test flights on Friday and Saturday morning and here are a couple of shots of it taken on 15 March.

9V-SKC is taxying out to runway 02C while sister-ship 9V-SKB stays back.

mw-9V-SKC-2008-03-15-08Cr-TXP.jpg

9V-SKC climbs powerfully out into a blue sky, Thankfully after a week of horrible weather, the weekend's weather is absolutely fabulous.

mw-9V-SKC-2008-03-15-14Cr-TOS.jpg

Just before midday, 9V-SKC returned from its air test.

mw-9V-SKC-2008-03-15-15Cr-APS.jpg

SQ should be expecting another A380's delivery either in late April or early May and will inaugurate A380 flights to NRT on 20 May. Its arrival at 0830hrs in NRT will kick off Narita Airport's 30th Anniversary celebrations. It is also the start of SIA's celebration of 40 years of service in the Japanese market (MSA inaugurated B707 flights to Tokyo on 1 August 1968).

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

hehe, i think SQ will be getting another 1 or 2 dugongs before EK actually gets their first rite?? Read it in somewhere.. :pardon:

first flight into LHR by SQ on the 18th MAR will actually have two dugongs.. one doing the mid day arrival and another 5.30am arrival the next morning.. however, after 18th MAR, only one dugong per day which is the midnight flight..

Thankfully after a week of horrible weather, the weekend's weather is absolutely fabulous.

Totally agree with that!

Some more photos from yesterday's absolutely stunning afternoon:- :)

Thai Airways A340-600 looking great as TG413 from BKK. Absolutely delighted to get her in good sunlight as she has a tendency to attract clouds whenever she passes by my lens.

HS-TNA_approach-MW.jpg

Shenzhen decided to downsize slightly and sent their cuter looking B737-700 in old colours

B-5026_approach-MW.jpg

VT-JWD with Rolls Royce engines used to be in old colours but has been re-painted with the new colour scheme since Feb '08. The livery just screams attention against a clear blue sky!

VT-JWD_appraoch-MW.jpg

With the winter schedule ending soon, it is a must to get 9V-SPR whenever possible.

9V-SPR_34front-MW.jpg

AirAsia finally did it . . . and sent their newest special liveried A320s. Most grateful to HoeJyh for sounding me out as soon as he caught sight of this bird - I rushed to the airport with barely minutes to spare and caught it on the pushback. This plane looks better than most pictures suggest.

mw-9M-AFW-2008-03-16-03Cr-WilliamsF.jpg

Air India's A332 remains rather elusive . . . but hopefully the next time I photograph it will be in better light than this.

mw-VT-IWA-2008-03-16-02Cr-TOS.jpg

The day ended with one of our home-based birds - 9V-JEB - Jett8 Airlines Cargo's B747-200F named 'SHOGUN'.

mw-9V-JEB-2008-03-16-02Cr-APP.jpg

9V-SKC operated the Sydney flight SQ221 on the night of 15May - her first commercial flight.

KC Sim

After a month of chasing Air Asia and kept getting normal liveried aircraft, I thought I would be happy if I got one with a special sticker today. Needless to say, I was estatic when I saw something black and white instead. I have to say that this livery looks much better when seen in real life :)

9M-AFW-MW.jpg

And of course, not to forget the frontal shot of this aircraft featuring Nico Rosberg's helmet :clapping:

9M-AFW_nose-MW.jpg

Coincidentally, today is also the start of the 2008 F1 season (and I heard that Nico Rosberg finished 3rd in the race today)! :drinks:

Hope you enjoyed the above pictures!

R(aj)&R(aymond),

Thanks for the great night-shots: a good tip to go 'night'spotting in June...

K C,

Some real nice 'weather'- and Dugong-shots there: looking forward to do some spotting @ Changi again, and see some aircraft and airlines NOT seen here in AMS :pardon:

After a month of chasing Air Asia and kept getting normal liveried aircraft, I thought I would be happy if I got one with a special sticker today. Needless to say, I was estatic when I saw something black and white instead. I have to say that this livery looks much better when seen in real life :)

Nice catch of AFW :good::good:

17 March 2008 turns out to be yet another fabulously sunny day. Recent storms have really done their job. If all storms end up with such clear skies, it is perhaps a worthwhile thing to endure.

Besides all the regular planes - which certainly must be photographed in this light - this day brought two new subjects for me.

Air India's Airbus A321 seems to be operating a daily flight IC557 and we have thus far not been too lucky with this subject. When it lands where we were, there was no light and when it is vectored to the other runway, the light is great. But not today - both plane and light came together.

mw-VT-PPB-2008-03-17-01Br-APP.jpg

The sun was still on the horizon when Bangkok Airways' Airbus A319 HS-PGS arrived at 1905hrs.

mw-HS-PGS-2008-03-17-01Cr-APP.jpg

Tomorrow, SIA launches its A380 flight to London at 0900hrs. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for good weather. It will be using either 9V-SKA or 9V-SKB. 9V-SKC has been despatched to SYD.

KC Sim

KC,

Nice shot of Air India's A321!

Looking fwd for the A380 shots.

The inaugural A380 flight from Singapore to London-Heathrow (SQ320) took off this morning at 0922hrs. 9V-SKB had the honours of performing this task and Captain Gerard Yeap was in command. Just like to share these two shots with you.

mw-9V-SKB-2008-03-18-01Br-LHR-Inaug.jpg

mw-9V-SKB-2008-03-18-04Cr-LHR-Inaug.jpg

KC Sim

Uncle Sim.....the shots of the departing A 380 are stunning. Will keep an eye on the radar screen if possible to see the beast flying over AMS inbound LHR. If...........................the weather is cooperative.

Uncle Sim.....the shots of the departing A 380 are stunning. Will keep an eye on the radar screen if possible to see the beast flying over AMS inbound LHR. If...........................the weather is cooperative.

Mischa,

Check the General Aviation topic of some Netherlands overflight pictures of the Dugong (link to Scramble)... :pardon:

Air India just has got to be my new "favourite" airline . . . while I am still euphoric over shots of its A321 taken recently, they sent in their A310-300 (VT-EJJ) in new colours. I have been chasing this subject for several months . . . and it is worth the wait.

mw-VT-EJJ-2008-03-28-04Cr-APP.jpg

Another welcomed bus is the A340-300 of China Airlines . . . the flight was delayed till late afternoon and in place of the A330-300, we got an up-sized bus.

mw-B-18802-2008-03-25-01Cr-APP.jpg

As a result of the substitution of the B744 for an A380 flight to London recently, there was a spare aircraft in SIN yesterday and it was deployed to KUL for another series of training flights. The flight that returned from KUL at around 1645hrs arrived in great light.

mw-9V-SKB-2008-03-29-04Cr-APP.jpg

Once in a while, Air Zimbabwe is delayed till late afternoon, again another opportunity to capture a familiar subject in better light.

mw-Z-WPF-2008-03-25-05Cr-APP.jpg

Yesterday morning (29 Mar) was an unremarkable day on runway 02C . . . nothing unusual came. Due to the split operation of SIA, one is more likely to see two SIA planes in action from two runways. I was lucky to get this shot with the tower in the picture.

mw-9V-SVO-2008-03-29-01Cr-SINtwr-TO.jpg

In the early afternoon, Northwest Cargo sent a B747-200F N646NW . . . came in from Seoul-Incheon.

mw-N646NW-2008-03-29-01Cr-APP.jpg

Highlight of the day for me was this B767-381ER of ANA . . . although it wasn't the Panda (that I continually pray for), it was the Star Alliance machine. And I was not disappointed at all.

mw-JA614A-2008-03-29-03Cr-StarAllia.jpg

KC Sim