MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Changi Airport Spotting

I will be spotting at Changi this Sunday, can anyone point out the best place to spot? Thanks in advance :p

Welcome to Singapore, Simon. Terminal 1 Viewing Mall level 3 is the place. For runway view, get a room at Crowne Plaza hotel. Go to Sim Lim Square for cameras and memory cards.

Edited by fablee

Welcome to Singapore, Simon. Terminal 1 Viewing Mall level 3 is the place. For runway view, get a room at Crowne Plaza hotel. Go to Sim Lim Square for cameras and memory cards.

Thanks for the info fablee. How about approach shots?

Thanks for the info fablee. How about approach shots?

In the afternoon from Changi Business Park. Perhaps the others on this forum can provide more specific info about CBP such as how to get there. Have yet to spot there myself. Morning approach spotting is not recommended.

In the afternoon from Changi Business Park. Perhaps the others on this forum can provide more specific info about CBP such as how to get there. Have yet to spot there myself. Morning approach spotting is not recommended.

Thanks again fablee. Just one more question, how about Changi beach?

Thanks again fablee. Just one more question, how about Changi beach?

Changi Beach is a great place to watch the waves and the occasional tankers and yachts. It is also a wonderful location for studying the community of permanent campers. Howvever, no planes fly over it since the wind has changed. They now come in from Changi Business Park which is relatively inaccessible when compared to Changi Beach. Your timing is a little off if you had hoped to spot from Changi Beach. Changi Beach becomes prime spotting terra firma next Apr again through to early Nov. Wishing you a fruitful spotting expedition.

Edited by fablee

Changi Beach is a great place to watch the waves and the occasional tankers and yachts. It is also a wonderful location for studying the community of permanent campers. Howvever, no planes fly over it since the wind has changed. They now come in from Changi Business Park which is relatively inaccessible when compared to Changi Beach. Your timing is a little off if you had hoped to spot from Changi Beach. Changi Beach becomes prime spotting terra firma next Apr again through to early Nov. Wishing you a fruitful spotting expedition.

Thanks for the useful info :drinks:

Today's weather was the best we ever had in a very long while. Of course, it goes without saying that good weather attracts good subjects too!

Starting off today's list of subjects is this Jetstar A320 VH-VQD in new large titles. It has been operating JQ109 from Perth daily for the past week, and had been delayed from its usual 6am arrival to 9am this morning.

VH-VQD_MW.jpg

Now a rather regular visitor to Changi, An-26 RP-C2639 is photographed operating a short hop from Batam under a NV flight code. This aircraft carries additional Batam Logistics and interisland airlines markings as well.

RP-C2639_MW.jpg

Unbelievably clean, immaculate and shiny B762 V8-MHB from Brunei Royal Flight.

V8-MHB_MW.jpg

I was literally over the moon when Sriwijaya Air B734 PK-CJU decided to make an unexpected appearance as SJ104 from Jakarta.

PK-CJU_MW.jpg

Specially for Pieter with this KLM B744F PH-CKD operating KL163 into Changi at noon.

PH-CKD_MW.jpg

Ever wondered how long a A346 is? There's probably enough blank space on HS-TND to paint full Star Alliance titles too! On a side note, it is heartening to see Thai's loads starting to pick up again after the recent crisis and hope that they would eventually revert back to their original number of flights and resume sending in their A345s and A346s here regularly.

HS-TND_artistic_MW.jpg

'Amazing' is truly the word to describe today's movements and weather.

9M-AFP_MW.jpg

China Eastern also obliged by sending in a A332 B-6099 instead of the usual A300-600R on the afternoon flight from PVG.

B-6099_MW.jpg

Yokoso Japan! JA8919 Japan Airlines B744

JA8919_MW.jpg

Ending off today's spotting is a gleaming Etihad B77W A6-ETB with additional 'From Abu Dhabi to the World' titles at the front.

A6-ETB_MW.jpg

Hope you had enjoyed viewing the photos as much I enjoyed photographing and processing them! :drinks:

A345 leh? :)

Here it is...delayed 6+hrs as SQ21 from EWR :) Could had done with a little less delay so the light would be better haha.

9V-SGC_MW.jpg

Nice photos Joe... It just occured to me how tinted my photos are as they were taken from within the terminal. :huh:

Who's Joe? Or is that the Christian name of anyone (tt I am unaware of ) on this forum? :blink:

I was there at about 12:30pm yesterday for a while, standing beside the expressway(Changi Business Park exit). Very happy to get the SQ744 for the first time :p

DSC_3934.jpg

DSC_3949.jpg

Also spotted 2 A380s on tarmac, will post pics later.

We could not have asked for a sunnier Sunday (21 Dec 2009) . . . following two previous sunny days on Thursday (when Hoe Jyh got all those gems - great photography!!!) and Saturday.

Here's my contributions to some of the birds we spotted.

The early morning provided some nice actions, in the form of an early morning UPS MD-11F departing to Mumbai. It was heavily loaded and rolled a fair length of the runway before climbing very powerfully.

mw-N286UP-2008-12-21-01Cr-TOS.jpg

Another departing freighter could not make the same boast about climbing powerfully . . . but could certainly claim to be smokiest. Operated by AirMark Aviation, this AN-12F has been re-registered recently.

mw-UP-AN215-2008-12-21-03Cr-AirMark.jpg

Its climb could easily be tracked . . .

mw-UP-AN215-2008-12-21-05Cr-AirMark.jpg

Another Indonesia-bound freighter is this B727-200F of Megantara Air . . . a daily sighting along with its smaller sistership - the B732F PK-TME.

mw-PK-TMA-2008-12-21-02Cr-TOS.jpg

Glad to see Thai back in the air - although it would have been nice if the A340-600 had come instead. The A346 was operating this flight on Thursday and Saturday.

mw-HS-TEB-2008-12-21-01Cr-APS.jpg

And the gem of the morning - and indeed the entire day - came in the form of a B747-400Combi from the Dubai Air Wing. It is seen here departing Changi Airport at 0900hrs on its air test.

mw-A6-COM-2008-12-21-03Cr-TOS.jpg

mw-A6-COM-2008-12-21-05Cr-SINtwr-RO.jpg

Almost six hours later, it returned from its air test . . . only to execute a go-around.

mw-A6-COM-2008-12-21-08Cr-GoAround.jpg

Sriwijaya Air is the newest airline to operate into Changi Airport and is now a daily visitor at Terminal 2. The airline's sole B737-400 (ex-PK-KKI of AdamAir) is seen here arriving from Jakarta.

mw-PK-CJU-2008-12-21-02Cr-APS.jpg

Another aircraft returning from an air test is Fedex's MD-11F N575FE . . . it had undertaken another air test the previous day.

mw-N575FE-2008-12-21-01Cr-APP.jpg

Adding some colour to the approach is this A330-200 of Qatar Airways wearing the special livery commemorating Doha's hosting of the Asian Games in 2006. The games may be over, but by all means let this and the other two special liveries remain for a long time yet.

mw-A7-AFP-2008-12-21-04Cr-AsianGame.jpg

Asiana's freighter was delayed from the early morning . . . a nice opportunity to photograph it in broad daylight.

mw-HL7420-2008-12-21-05Cr-oc-APP.jpg

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Simon must be real happy seeing those SQ jumbo's in 1:1 scale. :clapping:

KC Sim, nice collections in the much needed good sunlight. MD-11 is my favourite ! :drinks:

Simon must be real happy seeing those SQ jumbo's in 1:1 scale. :clapping:

Haha..really unsual for me :p and the A380 taxi to runway made me crazy :lol: I even climbed up the tree for some shots :rofl:

Good to see the AN-12 back in operation again after her tail-tip 'strike'...

It was quite a frightening sight when arriving from SGN on 3K on 10nov08 and see this bird with nosewheel 'in the air'... :pardon:

"Old smokers never die" :p

Wow KC, love the take off shot of the UPS M11F!

It was a rather fruitful session yesterday morning at the soon-to-be renovated viewing mall at Terminal 1 as most of the more interesting movements were parked at the visible gates.

Thai A345 HS-TLB at Gate D34 as a SQ 77W 9V-SWR is being towed across. It had been ages since I had the chance to admire this 4 holer from the comfort of the viewing mall since it always get an outlying gate C24 whenever a A345 is scheduled.

HS-TLB_D34_MW.jpg

The late morning AK123 flight was operated by AFW. The red colour exposed part of the fuselage near the wing root looks very striking!

9M-AFW_9V-SVF_MW.jpg

No Santa Claus from India but this Kathakali Dancer from Kerala would have to do :D

VT-AXE_MW.jpg

After several "mis-information" about the arrival of Qantas' third A380 delivery flight - the last of which was wrong by almost 24 hours, we finally saw confirmation of this big Kangaroo. And to add more drama to the entire chase, the runway was switched just less than 30 mins from its arrival and this called for a frantic round of telephone calls and SMSes to ensure no one was left in the wrong spot.

So my thanks to Tsen Tsan for sounding me out in a more critically timely manner and providing me with the transportation to the spotting location.

So here's my take of the arrival of VH-OQC . . . in three weeks on the morning of 18 January 2009, we will be seeing Qantas' A380s thrice-weekly on the QF032 from London.

mw-VH-OQC-2008-12-28-01Cr-DeliveryF.jpg

KC Sim

Hi everyone,

To add on my 2 cents to the SIN story for today, it was a great weekend for me to get re-acquainted with SIN.

VH-OQC.jpg

While we did not have the best of sunshine in the afternoon, I learnt that dark and raging grey skies present a wonderful opportunity to catch that shot with that special sparkle.

9V-SQN.jpg

VH-QPE.jpg

And here are some pictures of what appears to be a Spanish-registered Garuda 767-300 that I saw as I was flying out of SIN on MH 652 over the recent Hari Raya Haji weekend. The pictures were taken through a scratchy (and greasey!) window of 9M-MML and are therefore not the sharpest. There appear to be two of these 767-300s in full Garuda colours. I saw the other one from the air - a tiny glimpse of it by the wing's edge in my last picture.

Garuda767-300A.jpg

Garuda767-300B.jpg

OtherGaruda767-300.jpg