MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ricky Tiong

Boeing 787 Dreamliner

They remind me of the curved knives (known to old folks like me as "sickles") that we used to cut lallang and other tall grasses.

....and to me: Sovietskaya Soyuza :p

Kidding aside: she's a real beauty :yahoo:

Once again, KC, thanks a lot for sharing these wonderful shots :drinks:

Pergghhhhh~!!! Thank for Sharing with us here KC... Some More Some More~!!! This Aircraft is realy sexy.. Love it :wub:

KC!! BRAVO!!! You got the nose!! Cheers!!!

And look at the exit door handle. rather funky look! i am sure it will slide open with no effort just like big sister triple. And we dont need overly enthusiastic richard quest. Your coverage here is better than that of CNN.

More on that beautiful engine nacelle . . . in this shot (taken as it was unveiled to the world throught the factory doors that were slowly and silently opening), you could also see the customer airlines' emblems.

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-46Cr-.jpg

Right now, a Trent 1000 engine is being air-tested on the wing of an ex-Cathay Pacific B747-200B . . . its first flight was in mid-June and on 7 July, the Flying Test Bed (FTB) B747 participated in the Sevens on Parade Airshow (this was only its 4th flight - an event Rolls Royce executive touted as a sign of their confidence in the engine) and is seen here with the signature chevron design on the engine nacelle. Compared to the RR RB-211-524 on the wings, the Trent 1000 looks like a giant.

MW-N787RR-2007-07-07-01Br-Trent1000.jpg

Another shot of the raked wingtip. BTW, Boeing officials confirmed that the signature curve on the wings is a representation of its shape in flight. On the ground, it would be more normal looking.

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-34Vr-.jpg

The tail of the B787 seems rather more conventional (and probably efficient - a case of not trying to fix something that works fine). But the paintwork on the rear fuselage is absolutely beautiful - reminds me of whales.

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-55Vr-.jpg

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-53Vr-.jpg

And when the crowd of about 15000 poured out of the factory building, it was like a human tsunami - there was no stopping it. Airline and Boeing CEOs, VIPs, government officials, city mayors, business leaders, Boeing employees, local and international media . . . there was no demarcation between them. They all surged forward and were keen to get a close look at this sporty looking airliner and many stretched out their hands to touch it - just to be sure it wasn't an illusion (or Ilyushin). These shots were taken standing on the tow-tug that was still attached to the aircraft.

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-51Cr-.jpg

MW-N787BA-Premiere-2007-07-08-52Cr-.jpg

Hope you enjoy this installment of images. More to come . . . pics taken in mock-up plus images from the Sevens On Parade show. More good news, LAN Chile has announced an order of 26 Dreamliners plus options for another 10 aircraft. It is also committed to leasing another six Dreamliners (and take them starting 2011).

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Thanks KC for your wonderful report and pictures.

Now, those chevrons on the engine nacelle. What is the advantage given by them?

According to Boeing, the chevron engine nacelle (also described as scallop-shaped) contributed to the significantly lower noise signature of the B787.

KC Sim

KC!!! you're da MAN!!.... thanks for the scallop-shaped engine nacelle/cowling pics!! love em!!! huge... :yahoo:

thank you thank you thank you! got summore ah? eheheee...

for this from another forum...the 7x7 Series!

Amid all the 787 roll-out hoopla, perhaps the coolest event went unnoticed. On Saturday night, Boeing had all of the 787 airline representatives at an event at the Museum of Flight. At 7:07 PM, an Omega Air Refueling Services 707 landed in front of the crowd (after taking off from Paine Field in Everrett). At 7:17, an AirTran 717 landed. This continued until 8:17 when an Air France 777-300ER landed. In the end, the 777, 767, 757, 747, 737, 727, 717, and 707 were lined up nose-to-tail on the taxiway. It might be the first time Boeing has had every 7-series airplane in the same place (not counting the 787, which couldn't make the flight, of course).

7seriesyw6.jpg

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=120959

Edited by Edwin Yii

This event is billed as the "Sevens On Parade" airshow and the aircraft taking part are:

- B707 fm Omega Air

- B717 fm AirTrans

- B727 fm fedex (-200F)

- B737 fm Alaska Airlines (-800 series)

- B747 fm Rolls Royce (B747-267B Flight Test Bed)

- B757 fm Continental (-200 with winglets)

- B767 fm Delta (-300ER in new colours)

- B777 fm Air France (-300ER yet to be delivered)

These aircraft took off from Everett in this order and the B707 lands at Boeing Field at 7.07pm, followed by the B717 at 7.17pm etc. The B767 was then to land at 8.07pm followed by B777 at 8.17pm.

The Boeing 747LCF which arrived earlier in the morning at Everett to deliver a set of wings from Japan was re-positioned to BFI either in the late morning or early afternoon.

Pictures of the above departing Everett will be uploaded here sometime soon. Shot all of these except the Continental B757-200 with winglets as its taxi coincided cruelly with the take-off of the B742 Flying Test Bed (and the latter takes priority). And when the B757 took off, it was almost at cruise level when it passed over us standing on the rooftop Strato Deck of the Future of Flight museum.

KC Sim

SEATTLE, July 12, 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] is pleased that LAN Airlines, South America's largest airline, has announced its intent to acquire 26 Boeing 787 Dreamliners. Successful conclusion of negotiations would result in LAN booking the largest order of 787s to date in Latin America.

More good news for Boeing : Royal Brunei Airlines is reportedly taking four Dreamliners from a leasing company for introduction into service in 2009. This means it can only be the B787-8 model as the B787-3 is only available in 2010 and the B787-9 in 2011.

The following images were taken at the Passenger Experience Research Centre (PERC) where there is a B787 cabin mockup as well as one for the B747-8 Intercontinental. There is another mockup showing what an enhanced B767 cabin would look like after being given an upgrade to B777 standard. With the aid of 3D glasses, one could see this cabin in three dimension - really cool experience.

This shows what the entrance of a Dreamliner would look like. Instead of walking into a galley, the entrance area could feature high ceiling and curvy architecture to make it look like a foyer. This of course is subject to customisation by airlines and the colour of the LED lights can vary according to an airline's requests.

MW-B787-Mockup-2007-07-07-01Cr-Entr.jpg

These shows what the Business Class cabin onboard a Dreamliner could look like.

MW-B787-Mockup-2007-07-07-05Cr-BizC.jpg

MW-B787-Mockup-2007-07-07-02Cr-BizC.jpg

And in Economy Class, the same big windows (with electro-chromatic dimming feature) and spacious cabin luggage bins.

MW-B787-Mockup-2007-07-07-03Cr-Econ.jpg

MW-B787-Mockup-2007-07-07-04Cr-Econ.jpg

The cabin of the Dreamliner will be pressurised to 6000ft instead of 8000ft on existing airplanes while the humidity level will be raised. The air filtration system is also able to remove smell . . . I think I would especially love this feature.

KC Sim

nice, congrat to Boeing, hope BA could come next :drinks:

KC, amazing photos, the background and the plane match 101%

KC,

Thanks for sharing these cabin shots: the cabin-lighting is awesome and I love the large windows a lot too :yahoo: :good:

Although the "Sevens On Parade" show was intended for the airline CEOs and other VIPs guests gathered at Boeing Field (BFI), the media was invited to the Strato Deck of the Future of Flight Museum at Everett to view their departure. It was a pity that the wind favoured a take-off to the North . . . had it been a Southerly takeoff, we would have been able to get great line-up shots right in front of us.

First off the block was this beautiful Boeing 707 which was given at 7.07pm touchdown slot at BFI.

MW-SevensOnParade-N707MQ-2007-07-07.jpg

MWSevensOnParade-N707MQ-2007-07-07-.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-N707MQ-2007-07-1.jpg

Next to go was the Boeing 717 in AirTrans colours. Naturally, it was way too high when it got to us.

MW-SevensOnParade-N938AT-2007-07-07.jpg

It was nice to see the Boeing 727 in just about any colours - and those of Fedex are really refreshing for me.

MW-SevensOnParade-N464FE-2007-07-1.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-N464FE-2007-07-07.jpg

Alaska Airlines' - the home carrier of Seattle - B737-800 represented the entire family of B737s in this show.

MW-SevensOnParade-N581AS-2007-07-07.jpg

My favourite member of the "Sevens" is this Boeing 747-267B (an ex-Cathap Pacific Airways machine) operating as the flying test bed for the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine. It is simply amazing how much bigger this engine is compared to the RB211 on the B747 . . . looks like an engine swollen from a mosquito bite.

MW-SevensOnParade-N787RR-2007-07-07.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-N787RR-2007-07-1.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-N787RR-2007-07-2.jpg

Missed the Continental Airlines B757-200B with winglets because any attempt to photograph it would mean sacrificing several frames of the B747 taking off. So attention turn next to the Boeing 767-300ER in Delta Airlines new colours. I am still not sure if I like this livery or not - but I surely don't dislike it.

MW-SevensOnParade-N125DL-2007-07-07.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-N125DL-2007-07-1.jpg

Last but not least, the B777-300ER of Air France brings the show to a close . . .

MW-SevensOnParade-F-GSQY-2007-07-07.jpg

MW-SevensOnParade-F-GSQY-2007-07-1.jpg

KC Sim

Love your last shot of AF (sooooooo clean :lol: )

Think AS is the best of all US airlines' colourscheme: simple but very classy :drinks:

Got summore of these 'magnificient 7'? so nice.

I don't like the Delta livery on that 767. I prefer the one that looks like Aeroflot's. Or was it called 'Deltaflot'? That one is nicer..

Think AS is the best of all US airlines' colourscheme: simple but very classy :drinks:

Are you serious, AS scheme looks really "leisure", as classy, SW wins the title :rofl:

Marvelous AF nose there KC :clapping:

I thought UA old livery looked very elegant (even though many people said it was dull).

Hi guyz!

Can someone provide me information how to get the 787 Maintenace Manual (PDF version)?

Looking forward hearing from you soon.

these are usually restricted circulation

any reason you need a copy?