MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ricky Tiong

Boeing 787 Dreamliner

hi folks,

i just came back from paine field airport witnessing the event.

have a good number of pictures in my camera ready to share but have difficulties trying to post pictures in this forum.

can anyone shed some lights on how to post images ?

ALAFCO Aviation Sign Up For 10 Boeing 787-8 DreamlinersKUALA LUMPUR, July 9 (Bernama) -- Boeing and ALAFCO Aviation Lease and Finance Company of Kuwait Saturday held a formal signing ceremony for the direct purchase of 10 787-8 Dreamliners.The deal was completed the day before the public Premiere of Boeing's first 787 in Everett, Wash.Valued at US$1.62 billion at list prices, the new purchase builds on an order for 12 787s ALAFCO announced in March 2007, Boeing said in a statement from Seattle today.The Sharia-based leasing and finance company was the first Middle East customer to finalise its order for the highly sought-after Dreamliner, and ALAFCO has successfully placed its first 12 787s with Kuwait Airways.Scott Carson, Boeing Commercial Airplanes president and CEO, hosted today's event at Seattle's Harbor Club, where guest of honor Ahmad Alzabin, ALAFCO's chairman and CEO, signed the order for the additional airplanes."We're proud to be the first Middle Eastern company to purchase the 787-8 and we're extremely pleased to have quickly placed all of the 787s in our initial order with Kuwait Airways," said Alzabin."We have decided to move quickly on acquiring additional 787s as we see continued strong market demand for this revolutionary airplane and we wish to offer airlines the airplane that is setting new standards in operational efficiency and reliability.ALAFCO became a publicly traded company in October 2006.It currently has airplanes on lease with nine carriers worldwide."Our strong association with ALAFCO, as well as having 787s flying with Kuwait Airways, truly demonstrates Boeing's focus in the Middle East market," said Carson."We are determined to build upon our regional relationships to establish an even stronger foundation for future business -- one that will continue to focus on meeting our customersb expectations and providing airplanes and services that help them be successful."Boeing reorganized its sales regions in 2005 and deployed a specialized Middle East team that has led to a dramatic turnaround of the companybs market share of commercial airplanes sold in the region.Since launch in April 2004, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner has logged orders from 46 customers for 652 airplanes, making it the most successful launch of a commercial airplane in Boeing's history.First flight is scheduled for later this year followed by certification and first delivery in May 2008.Air Berlin Places Order For 25 Boeing 787 DreamlinersKUALA LUMPUR, July 9 (Bernama) -- On the eve of the unveiling of the world's newest commercial jetliner, the 787 Dreamliner, the Boeing Company and Air Berlin announced an order for 25 787-8 airplanes valued at US$4 billion (US$1=RM3.43) at list prices.The order is the single largest placed by any European carrier and brings the total number of 787s ordered worldwide to 677.Air Berlin, based in Berlin, Germany, is Europe's third largest low-fare carrier. Long focused primarily on the low-fare market, Air Berlin will add long-haul destinations, with the ultra-efficient 787 serving as the cornerstone of its twin-aisle, long-haul fleet.Last year Air Berlin purchased German carrier dba as part of its growth plan."The 787 is perfectly suited for our new long-haul services," said Joachim Hunold, chief executive officer of Air Berlin in a statement issued by Boeing from Seattle Saturday."It is hands-down the best aircraft to deliver the optimum combination of fuel efficiency, environmental performance and passenger comfort that we need to successfully grow our business and deliver a superior product for our customers. Passengers will fall in love with this airplane."The 787's many ground-breaking innovations make it a powerful tool for profitability."On top of the 25 orders, Air Berlin is securing 10 options and 15 purchase rights for additional 787s."Air Berlin's order is further validation of the 787's suitability for a broad spectrum of airline models," said Marlin Dailey, vice president of Sales for Europe, Russia and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes."For global network and long-haul carriers, and for charter and leisure carriers and innovative low-fare carriers like Air Berlin, the 787 will be a flexible, profitable asset. The Dreamliner will be a magnificent addition to Air Berlin's growing fleet."Air Berlin today is making history by placing Europe's largest 787 order to date, and it will continue to make history as it leverages the 787's game-changing capabilities to evolve its business model and position in the highly-competitive European market."Air Berlin did not announce an engine supplier for its 787s.p/s sound like the premiere did manage to get some people around to purchase the dreamliner
hi folks,i just came back from paine field airport witnessing the event.have a good number of pictures in my camera ready to share but have difficulties trying to post pictures in this forum.can anyone shed some lights on how to post images ?
try photobucketK64106-03_lg.jpg Edited by FK Wong

Boy! I missed the premier live...

Looking at the pictures, I am seeing a new generation plane. Not only it is technologically at the front line, so it is claimed, it is also very futuristic from the outside... Just look at the first two pics Jon posted!

The video doesn't seem to want to load ..

All the other video's are fine except the premiere

Same here. maybe too many people accessing it and making it slow/not working at all... remember MAS website during the RM1 sale? heheheee... :D

Nice plane though...

Owh.. forgot to add: Funky-looking jagged edge engine cowlings... kewl!! :good:

Edited by Yusoff

-8 looks short and fat, the engine and the wings loooks sexy thou....i believe -9 will be very much nicer

New customers join the 787 party

Monday July 9, 2007

Air Berlin, Qantas, CIT Aerospace and Kuwaiti lessor ALAFCO helped Boeing celebrate yesterday's 787 unveiling in Seattle while the manufacturer promised further improvements to the record-setting aircraft.

Qantas ordered an additional 20 787s Friday and on Saturday the German LCC committed to 25 and ALAFCO ordered 10. In addition, CIT Aerospace doubled its order to 10 last week. In addition, Qatar Airways is the customer for 30 previously unidentified aircraft.

The QF order made the Australian carrier the 787's No. 1 airline customer with 65 orders. Overall, the number of orders for the long-haul Dreamliner has risen to 742, comprising 677 firm and 65 yet to be inked. Options and price rights lift the total to 1,082.

Speaking to more than 300 members of the media ahead of yesterday's unveiling, program VP and GM Mike Bair said that while aluminum technology has matured after decades of refinement, composites like those used on the 787 are relatively new and significant weight gains already are presenting themselves.

At last month's Paris Air Show, Bair said that Boeing also has found ways to reengineer the aircraft's design so as to reduce enough weight to launch the stretched 787-10 version, which would seat 50 more passengers, while meeting airline range requirements without increasing MTOW. Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon, in Seattle for the rollout, urged the manufacturer to commit to the 787-10, warning that the A350 XWB looks like a good offering.

Sunday afternoon's 787 unveiling was preceded by a Saturday curtain-raiser featuring a fly-by of all Boeing transports across a virtually cloud-free Seattle sky. More than 15,000 attended the roll-in, with the 787 being towed from the paint facility to nose into its production hall. Behind the guests, a second plane, to be used for static tests, was in final join.

An additional 50,000 Boeing employees and guests viewed proceedings on giant screens at nearby Qwest Field. The company reaffirmed that the program is on schedule and that first flight will be late August/early September.

"We have a high degree of confidence [in the flight test program] and do not anticipate any surprises," Bair told this website. He acknowledged that the eight-month test program is ambitious but said more frequent flights will be used.

Director-Government, Certification and Environment Jeff Hawk said there is only one item left to be signed off by certification regulators. Putting that achievement in perspective, he said that for the 737NG, the last regulatory issue was signed off only two weeks before final certification.

QR also has B787 on order, still listed as UFO though. During the unveiling this morning, one QR stewardess was there.

QR also has B787 on order, still listed as UFO though. During the unveiling this morning, one QR stewardess was there.

and they have the QR tail on the fuselage.

I hope they can reach 787 order before first flight, AA order will make that possible, now come on Gerard~!!

It's time to hunt down 787 flight!!!!!

Edited by Seth K

I hope they can reach 787 order before first flight, AA order will make that possible, now come on Gerard~!!

It's time to hunt down 787 flight!!!!!

total is now 742. i think easily they can hit 787 before their first flight.

Total order + option + purchase right is now : 1042 frames...

Greetings from Seattle!

I still cannot get over the "ultra-high" of this event yet . . . been busy trying to pack everything I have managed to obtain from this event into my case and will be leaving the hotel for SEA in about 4 hours for my flight to SFO, ICN and SIN (arriving on 11 Jul at 0100hrs).

I will only be able to upload pics into Mwings after my arrival in SIN and promise to do this before sunrise on 11 Jul.

Suffice to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable event - and the Dreamliner looks far more beautiful than I initially thought (based on images of the unpainted aircraft). The picture posted by Jonathan of the B787 taken from a high position with a sea of people was taken by the official Boeing photographer standing on top of a scissor-lift (nobody else is permitted on this exclusive perch).

I was initially standing right where he was positioned but as the hour approached and the sun's position means the aircraft will be backlit as it approaches the location of its premiere, I moved to a position on the aircraft's starboard side when it was being towed. This means I will have the factory building in the background. It was superb as there was very little restriction on movement around it once it came to a stop. More than 30 minutes later, a toot on the horn of the tow tug indicated that it was finally ready for its premiere in front of 15000 Boeing employees, media, VIPs, invited guests, government officials etc.

Once the factory doors open and the aircraft came to a complete stop, the people just poured out like a huge flood. It was an amazing spectacle.

Will also separately post images of the Parade of Sevens aircraft taken on 7 July from the Strato Deck of the Future of Flight Museum. For these take-offs, this deck was closed to the public for the media to use. Thankfully, the weather was good throughout most of these movements.

Got to sign off now . . . will get back on when I am in SIN. Jon/Azahan/Norman - have not forgotten your requests.

KC Sim

If Boeing does get to 787 order before first flight, let say from AA, does AA count as launch customer? I guess not, since some made last minute order to get the launch customer discount. Can't wait for ur pix KC :yahoo:

Hi all,

thanks to Andrew who helped me process three images, I am able to share these with you just before I check out of the hotel in Seattle.

N787BA-2007-07-08-01Br-Premiere-TOW.jpg

N787BA-2007-07-08-02Br-Premiere-TOW.jpg

N787BA-2007-07-08-03Br-Premiere-TOW.jpg

My apologies for the lack of text describing the above - but I am sure no explanation is required. Glad to share it here with you.

KC Sim

I am so so so happy for my best friend....and that I could play a small part in helping him show those most amazing pictures to the whole world. He deserves it!

KC you're a star!!!

Andrew

oh man! u r so great to take these awesome pics for us! Kuudoosss

787 is way too brilliant!

KC and Andrew. Thanks for making these few picture possible for sharing with all the Mwings member.