MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ricky Tiong

Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Boeing whistleblower raises doubts over 787 oxygen system

A Boeing whistleblower has claimed that passengers on its 787 Dreamliner could be left without oxygen if the cabin were to suffer a sudden decompression.

John Barnett says tests suggest up to a quarter of the oxygen systems could be faulty and might not work when needed.

He also claimed faulty parts were deliberately fitted to planes on the production line at one Boeing factory.

Boeing denies his accusations and says all its aircraft are built to the highest levels of safety and quality.

The firm has come under intense scrutiny in the wake of two catastrophic accidents involving another one of its planes, the 737 Max.

Mr Barnett, a former quality control engineer, worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement on health grounds in March 2017.

From 2010 he was employed as a quality manager at Boeing's factory in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Full (very long) story here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50293927

4 hours ago, flee said:

Boeing whistleblower raises doubts over 787 oxygen system

A Boeing whistleblower has claimed that passengers on its 787 Dreamliner could be left without oxygen if the cabin were to suffer a sudden decompression.

John Barnett says tests suggest up to a quarter of the oxygen systems could be faulty and might not work when needed.

He also claimed faulty parts were deliberately fitted to planes on the production line at one Boeing factory.

Boeing denies his accusations and says all its aircraft are built to the highest levels of safety and quality.

The firm has come under intense scrutiny in the wake of two catastrophic accidents involving another one of its planes, the 737 Max.

Mr Barnett, a former quality control engineer, worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement on health grounds in March 2017.

From 2010 he was employed as a quality manager at Boeing's factory in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Full (very long) story here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50293927

The results of poacher also a gamekeeper.

ANA HOLDINGS Commits to Adding up to 20 Boeing 787 Dreamliner Jets

SEATTLE, Feb. 25, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] and ANA HOLDINGS INC. (ANA HD) announced the Japanese airline group today decided to acquire up to 20 more 787 Dreamliner airplanes. The agreement with Boeing includes 11 787-10s, one 787-9 and options for five 787-9s valued at more than $5 billion at list prices. The airline also plans to acquire three new 787-9 airplanes from Atlantis Aviation Corporation.

Once the agreements are finalized, it will be ANA's sixth order for the ultra-efficient and passenger-pleasing Dreamliner and bring their overall 787 order book to more than 100 airplanes.

More:

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2020-02-25-ANA-HOLDINGS-Commits-to-Adding-up-to-20-Boeing-787-Dreamliner-Jets

ANA has all forms of 787s:  -8, -9, -10, while JAL has only -8 and -9...  and supplemented by A350-900 (I believe a few are running domestic route for training purpose, HND-FUK and HND-CTS).  I wonder if JAL will every buy the -10 to replace some of the olders JAL 772/773 and ex-JAS 772 for domestic run.

Edited by S V Choong

9 hours ago, S V Choong said:

ANA has all forms of 787s:  -8, -9, -10, while JAL has only -8 and -9...  and supplemented by A350-900 (I believe a few are running domestic route for training purpose, HND-FUK and HND-CTS).  I wonder if JAL will every buy the -10 to replace some of the olders JAL 772/773 and ex-JAS 772 for domestic run.

The replacement for 777 is already in place. they have ordered 13 A350-1000 with options for 25 more aircraft. Likely 772 will be replaced by 359 and 773 will be replaced by 35K. Early 359 frame configuration is catered for regional/domestic sectors.

Edited by Mr.Bandit

15 hours ago, S V Choong said:

Those A359s are meant for domestic routes to begin with.

It’s the A351s that will fly internationally. 

4 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

Those A359s are meant for domestic routes to begin with.

It’s the A351s that will fly internationally. 

Don't really know if their strategy is clear enough as they utilise their 787-8 and 787-9s internationally too to HKG, North America and Australia. 

I guess long term the A35k will replace their high demand routes such as LHR and JFK?

Hope they will place orders for some 777-9/ 777-8s too.

It is significant that ANA has turned away from RR for the engines of this new order. Its GE engines this time as RR has failed to deal with the Trent 1000 issues in a timely manner.