MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ricky Tiong

Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Definately a sweet Christmas present for all aviation enthusiasts around the world..

And 2 years have passed since the unveiling of the Dreamliner at Seattle Paine Field...At last,she's flying to the skies for the 1st time!

I actually read Boeing wanted to have its first flight on one of the days of the Paris Air Show. Yeah the 787 takes off :rolleyes:

finally this modern aircraft takeoff...

this shape of this aircraft was absolutely...............beautiful!

With the development of the B787 and with the 1st flight whick marks the significant success of the aviation industry....I hope to see BOEING rules d skies again.... :rolleyes:

May they visit Singapore Airshow!!! :yahoo: She's the only reason for me going there :rofl:

It is rumoured when Boeing does its hot high testing it will be in Darwin and the 787 will tour Australia's main capitals Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adeladide, Perth, Darwin, I'm not sure on Hobart? Similar to what Embraer did to its E190 australia tour. :rolleyes:

I think it'd be shown on CNN, just like the maiden flight of A380. Btw, it's just 2.5hrs away, at 2am 16Dec Malaysian time. Pleasant viewing!

The B787 just took off for maiden flight and test flight...

It really amaze to see the b787 fly for 1st time even on stucking-slow-broadband-malaysian-service...hehe

Boeing 001 Heavy Experimental ZA001 landed at Boeing Field on 5.34am Malaysian Time in Rain. Great Job Boeing!

Quoting from FlightGlobal.com

Boeing 787 Dreamliner lifts off on maiden flight

By Jon Ostrower

After more than two years, Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner has taken to the sky, marking the maiden sortie of the world’s first majority-composite jetliner. Under the command of chief pilot Mike Carriker and engineering pilot Randy Neville, Boeing’s first 787 test aircraft - designated ZA001 - departed the runway at the company’s Everett, Washington facility just after 10:28PST. Operating as Boeing 001 Experimental, ZA001 sped down runway 34L for its first take-off roll, marking the first time Boeing has flown a clean-sheet aircraft since the 777-200 first flew in June 1994 from the same spot.

The flight of the 787-8 comes 944 days after final assembly first began on the aircraft which is made up of more than 50% composite materials by weight. Boeing’s flagship programme has witnessed extended delays, driven by the company’s struggles with its global supply chain, design changes, a machinists’ strike and, most recently, a structural weakness in the side-of-body of the aircraft. The airframer initially expected the 787 to fly in the third quarter of 2007.

Despite these troubles, the aircraft - which aims to delivery a 20% improvement in fuel-burn over its predecessor, the 767 - has sold more pre-first flight orders than any commercial aircraft in the company’s history. Boeing holds 840 firm orders from 56 customers.

Today’s event marks the start of the 3,100hr flight-test campaign in a certification regime which also includes 3,160hr in ground tests.

The aircraft, powered by twin Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines, rotated in front of a gathered crowd of more than 10,000 undeterred by the inclement weather. Boeing expects to use the first flight of the 787 to test the handling characteristics and aerodynamic validation of the aircraft’s structure as part of establishing initial airworthiness that will ensure proper functionality.

Missed the landing of the Dreamliner..luckily managed to see the delayed webcast on the site.

Missed the landing of the Dreamliner..luckily managed to see the delayed webcast on the site.

Saw the take off but missed landing...Nonetheless, beautiful plane, sexy wings. :yahoo: Thumbs up for those who were involved and made it happen. :clapping:

Hello guys i did not bother reading, mind me asking whats the mojor differnce between the 787 to the 777 :D thanks

The B787 actually replaces the B767/A330 class of planes. The B777 is bigger and carries more passengers over longer distances. The B787 will be a workhorse on regional routes where the passenger loads are not so high.