MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sandeep G

Malaysian Airport/Airline Operational Statistics

So are you doing anything on your part to change any of these?

If you're not, then no point complaining too much here... :pardon:

I am doing my part to be competitive worldwide. Otherwise, I won’t have the chance to travel that far.

I complained because I care. It is sad to see the world is moving forward and we are still hovering in the 90’s dream or even going backward. It is scary to see how much we are lagging behind every year, being marginzed. Hope my fellow countrymen look outside the box, be more innovative, creative, productive and efficient.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

KK Lee, its interesting to read some of ur opinions, whether or not we find it negative or positive, its your view on the matter and i respect that. But i would like to juz know, what do you do? i mean in ur carreer..maybe u can share some of the ways you're helping and doing something bout us lagging behind. I noticed you travel a lot too..

KK Lee, its interesting to read some of ur opinions, whether or not we find it negative or positive, its your view on the matter and i respect that. But i would like to juz know, what do you do? i mean in ur carreer..maybe u can share some of the ways you're helping and doing something bout us lagging behind. I noticed you travel a lot too..

A salesman :)

Believe this article reflecting similar problem facing our aviation industry;

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP35633.htm

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

right KK .... who said that thailand is better than us? china and india we just cannot compete as it will be inevitable that they will be major economic powerhouses because of their large internal market - 1 billion population each!!

i agree with u that malaysia needs to be more innovative and creative to compete in this era of globalisation ; and that we are quite complacent at times; i also agree that while we are aiming to be a developed country - we still have the same 'kampung mentality'.

however, we are doing really well economically.

malaysia is the largest trading partner in SEA for many countries - e.g. china, us, middle east etc etc. our total trade will hit RM 1 trillion this year. for a country with a population of 26.8 million (ranked 45th in the world in terms of population) - we are the 17th largest trading nation. yes, hong kong and singapore are economic powerhouses - they had a head start in terms of british investment during colonial times, far sighted leaders etc etc. we are 15 years behind them but we are bridging the gap steadily. we have overtaken singapore as china and america's largest trading partner here in SEA for e.g.

data from wikipedia:

malaysia:

2005 estimate

- Total $290.7 billion (33rd)

- Per capita $11,201 (61st)

thailand:

GDP (PPP) 2005 estimate

- Total $560.7 billion (21st)

- Per capita $8,300 (69th)

india:

GDP (PPP) 2005 estimate

- Total $3.633 trillion (4th)

- Per capita $3,344 (122nd)

china:

GDP (PPP) 2005 estimate

- Total $8.859 trillion2 (2nd)

- Per capita $7,2042 (84th)

zimbabwe:

GDP (PPP) 2005 estimate

- Total $30.581 billion (94th)

- Per capita $2,607 (129th)

no one is comparing us to zimbabwe except for your kind self.

this is just some hard facts for u...hope u digest it ok! no hard feelings boss....:)

the glass is half full...its a matter of personal opinion.

There are many successful and proven business models but we prefer to have it ‘our way’. Hence, productivity and efficiency in the country is falling year by year. 30 years ago, we were better off than Taiwan; 20 years ago, we were better off than Thailand; 10 years ago we were better off than China; 5 years ago, we were better off than India. And now we are comparing ourselves with Zimbabwe. :( :sorry:

I fully agree with you, KK. It's a globalisation world. If we still do 'our way' in many areas, I won't be suprise if M'sia fall behind Indonesia in the next 5 or 10 years. :nea:

Yes, Malaysia is doing well, but, still not good enough. When M'sia has advanced for 10 feet and start self celebrating, others have already advanced 50 feet.

Wake up Malaysia ! :help: :help:

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

A salesman :)

Believe this article reflecting similar problem facing our aviation industry;

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP35633.htm

Good article, KK. What I agree most with the article is the concept of "more talents/people, not more facilities".

Think about how many students our government is sponsoring for overseas education, then compare that figure to the number of graduates (sponsored) returning to Malaysia. Surprising that some (or even most) of those sponsored students are expecting free lunch - to get the money, study overseas, and yet not bonded. Naive? Or is it that they really don't see the benefit of working for the govt per se?

Just my 2 cents.

*Grabs flame protective gears* :p

p/s: sorry, off topic? :sorry:

-EDIT-

Back to the topic, do you think there should be a legislation in setting the financial year? Say FY would be from X to Y --- for the ease of comparing performance across industry (in our case here, airports).

Edited by Tony

-EDIT-

Back to the topic, do you think there should be a legislation in setting the financial year? Say FY would be from X to Y --- for the ease of comparing performance across industry (in our case here, airports).

Yes.. off topic guys :D Look, firstly - everyone has to respect everyone's opinion here - that's the only way we can move forward.

Optimism is a great thing, but in hindsight, so too is pessimism - It's what motivates us to strive further! I welcome KK's comments and Daniel's comments!

Now, Tony, with regards to FY, some countries have it as legislation I believe..

Stick to the topic of stats from now on please :) Numbers are in black and white, and take them for face value!

Malaysia Airlines Monthly Operating Statistices: OCTOBER 2006

IPB Image

Source: MAS

Domestic RPK/ASK are down considerably year-on-year due to the domestic rationalisation - also indicated by the PLF drop of 7.2 ppts.

International PLF remained unchanged year-on-year at 68.1 ppts. International RPK and ASK took a slide also due possibly to the redution in fleet capacity (-4 744s)

The sterling performance as appeared in the data above is by MASKargo with a masive increase of 41.3% in LTKs and a 20.7% increase in CTKs accompanied with a 9.2 ppts rise in LF. It can be said with confidence that the addition of 2 B744Fs into the MASKargo fleet has had significant bearing on the cargo arms operations and hopefully, this trend will continue.

So the financial performance (from an operational perspective) in the recent quarter is definately attributable to MASKargo.

AirAsia Passenger Data for SEPTEMBER 2006

AirAsia Malaysia:

FY2007: 638,932 (+56.4%)

FY2006: 408,507

Thai AirAsia:

FY2007: 223,679 (+59.0%)

FY2006: 140,660

Indonesia AirAsia:

FY2007: 143,291 (+108.0%)

FY2006: 68,739

Load factor: 79%, +9.0 ppts;

Yield (per RPK): USD3.08 cents, -15%.

Unit Costs: USD2.20 cents/ASK, -9%

Source: AirAsia, CAPA

Edited by Sandeep G

MAHB Traffic, Passenger and Cargo Movement for SEPTEMBER 2006

KL International

International Pax: 1,226,214 (+2.7% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Pax: 677,570 (+0.0% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL PAX: 1,903,784 (+1.7% Y-O-Y)

International Cargo: 52,913,058 kg (+4.1% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Cargo: 5,107,582 kg (-5.9% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL CARGO: 58,020,640 kg (+3.1% Y-O-Y)

International Aircraft Movements: 8,797 (+3.1% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Aircraft Movemennts: 6,167 (-5.3% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS: 14,964 (-0.6% Y-O-Y)

Other Airports

International Pax: 201,825 (+10.0% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Pax: 1,178,470 (-12.1% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL PAX: 1,380,295 (-9.5% Y-O-Y)

International Cargo: 20,138,056 kg (+6.3% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Cargo: 10,292,837 kg (-5.0% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL CARGO: 30,430,893 kg (+2.2% Y-O-Y)

International Aircraft Movements: 2,708 (+1.6% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Aircraft Movemennts: 19,309 (-7.4% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS: 22,017 (-6.4% Y-O-Y)

AirAsia Reports the following traffic highlights for OCTOBER 2006 (FY2007)

AirAsia (Malaysia): 659,646, +74.3%;

Thailand AirAsia: 262,796, +50.7%;

Indonesia AirAsia: 161,613, +114%.

Source: CAPA

Edited by Sandeep G

MAHB Traffic, Passenger and Cargo Movement for OCTOBER 2006

KL International

International Pax: 1,265,025 (+0.6% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Pax: 643,365 (+3.3% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL PAX: 1,908,390 (+1.5% Y-O-Y)

International Cargo: 55,538,183 kg (+1.9% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Cargo: 4,904,174 kg (-10.2% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL CARGO: 60,442,357 kg (+0.8% Y-O-Y)

International Aircraft Movements: 9,229 (+2.8% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Aircraft Movemennts: 6,113 (+1.1% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS: 15,342 (+2.2% Y-O-Y)

Other Airports

International Pax: 209,305 (+9.8% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Pax: 1,107,483 (-3.5% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL PAX: 1,380,295 (-9.5% Y-O-Y)

International Cargo: 22,349,852 kg (+12.0% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Cargo: 8,583,905 kg (-28.9% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL CARGO: 30,933,757 kg (-3.4% Y-O-Y)

International Aircraft Movements: 2,928 (+7.8% Y-O-Y)

Domestic Aircraft Movemennts: 19,998 (-3.5% Y-O-Y)

TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS: 22,916 (-2.2% Y-O-Y)

Quicktake:

Well, it looks like a mediocre month in October for MAHB, with declining domestic cargo a prominent outlier in the above statistics. Despite this, KLIA has reported positive growth in all key areas of Pax numbers, Cargo volume and Aircraft movements. With hari raya in November 2006, I'm sure in the Nov/Dec statistics in 2006, we'll see some better performance.

This years outlook is possibly even better based on the number of new airlines, increase in AirAsia activities through it's rapid expansion and MAS continuing with it's BTP. Hopefully, we'll see more cargo traffic at KL with the shift of Transmile sometime this year from SZB to KUL.

Malaysia Airlines Monthly Operating Statistics: November 2006

view.jpg

PLF has declined. Belly cargo has declined. However the freighters are still recording massive growth. I hope MAS will expand this soon or at least illustrate a game plan for MASKargo as it is the sterling performer for the airline along with MAS E&M which I think would be strongly contributing towards bottomline nowadays given the surge in third pary carrier contracts. I wonder what the quarterly profits/loss will be like. We should see a vast improvement in PLF over December and November as well as Cargo volumes due to the peak holiday season.

Edited by Sandeep G

but one thing puzzles me though how come the domestic traffic is plummeting? Maybe MAB should do something like get more airlines to fly to the other International Airports within M'sia...e.g mainly to WBGG. hehehe juz my thought :p

I think Malaysia should be united and develop 2gether. WM is far more Develop than EM, so they should try and minimise the gap so the country could thrive better ;)

but one thing puzzles me though how come the domestic traffic is plummeting? Maybe MAB should do something like get more airlines to fly to the other International Airports within M'sia...e.g mainly to WBGG. hehehe juz my thought :p

I think Malaysia should be united and develop 2gether. WM is far more Develop than EM, so they should try and minimise the gap so the country could thrive better ;)

I'd attribute the lower domestic figures to seasonal variations.. MAS domestic is massively down after the domestic rationalisation exercise as compared to 2005. However, the numbers were picked up by AirAsia.

Not to sound as if EM is not important, but I love the fact that the place is filled with eco-attractions rather than industry. However, the LNG Refinery in Bintulu, numerous offshore oil fields etc etc. I think tourism will probably play a major role in the economic development of EM.

Amazing, the overall load-factor declined from almost 70% to 67% both domestically and internationally: not a good sign...think MH is 'out-pricing' themselves :nea:

..... think MH is 'out-pricing' themselves :nea:

I think they are responding by revamping the fare structure ? Good to see MH is responding somewhat to market forces nowadays, instead of the 'head buried in ground' posture of days past :good:

Sign in to follow this