MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

Thai Airasia plans to return to Don Muang Airport

Guys,

Just heard news that Thai Airasia will be returning to Don Muang airport,because that the Suvarnabhumi International Airport is began to crowded.

Besides than Thai Airasia,Nok Air and One-Two-Go Airlines also stating their wishes to returning to Don Muang.

Is there any confirmation of this news?

Doing so would INDEED give Bangkok and Thailand a lead advantage in the LCC market! Luckily AirAsia has their fingers in the Thai-Pie!

I thought NBK will have their own LCCT too.........

Logically for NBIA and AOT, DMK would be a quick and far better option.. all the infrastructure is already there. It would be like what SZB Terminal 1 would have been if the govt. was strategic enough to allow that to remain standing and open it for AirAsia and other LCCs..

When can our KLIA 'crowded' ? :unsure: :unsure:

hehehe ask the Government, I'm sure they have a "blueprint" and schedule somewhere..

The biggest joke is they say the airport is nearing design capacity of 25 million pax p/a.. however, they have neglected the fact that the LCCT is also within KLIA and was built to house capacity of 10 million pax p/a... thereby meaning that at present the KUL airport complex can handle 35 million pax p/a... they are trying to justify the high number of pax in order to award the contract to build the second satellite terminal (which most likely will be awarded to a govt linked consortium such as Gamuda, UEM, etc etc etc) KLIA this year will break 24 million pax without a doubt, but remember that 6 million of those (that number is from Today's newspaper) are at the LCCT thereby leaving a minimum of 18 million at the MTB... which is 7 million shy of the 25 million capacity.. so KLIA has time yet to expand and they don't need to unneccessarily spend more money on a new terminal putting MAHBs financial situation into more question.. when the money could be spent in the interim on maintenance and upgrading of present airport systems and infrastructure.. e.g. resurfacing of airport roads.. upgrading ATC equipment (in colaboration with DCA of course), general building maintenance, improving the Baggage handling system (BHS), upgrading TAMS, Ridding the airport of TOUTS, improved security systems (to prevent the apparant rampant pilferages and criminal activity at the cargo complex for example), introducing more biometrics, improving passenger amenities, promoting the airport, improving airport efficiency (with DCA, KLAS, MAS), blah blah blah.. the list goes on...

Most importantly.. I want to see more DATA being released by MAHB, MAS, DCA about passenger numbers, aircraft movements, cargo volumes, growth rates, development plans, etc etc etc.. apart from what is released via the KLSE website in company announcements by MAHB.

The whole thing needs to be more transparent and people up top and in mid-level management need to start working and producing solid results.. I really can't see why it can't be done!!!

I hope the Gov. consider demolish LCCT as an option in near future, and all flights has to be in and out from either contact pier or satelite buildings , this is how to make KLIA efficiency. Right now, KLIA is not near efficient point, it's not use to it's limit and certainly KLIA supply and demand point is under the equilibrium point ;) Once I forum on this site, they said KLIA has been push too far, they also witness 2 international flights disembark at contact pier cause SB's gates are all occupy, BS :angry:

I hope the Gov. consider demolish LCCT as an option in near future, and all flights has to be in and out from either contact pier or satelite buildings , this is how to make KLIA efficiency. Right now, KLIA is not near efficient point, it's not use to it's limit and certainly KLIA supply and demand point is under the equilibrium point ;) Once I forum on this site, they said KLIA has been push too far, they also witness 2 international flights disembark at contact pier cause SB's gates are all occupy, BS :angry:

nope bad idea to demolish the LCCT.. let's face it, the LCCT was needed!! AirAsia has been able to streamline costs as such.. However, the LCCT should have been planned better and not have been labelled a "temporary" facility... if they wanted something permanent.. they should have just gone ahead and done it.. the are to the north of the Obs Hill would have been ideal.. although you see the present location allowed them to do it in a rush (apron was already there and unutilised, land was cleared and flat).. the location I suggested would have incurred significantly higher costs.. But this is all really a matter of priority.. and unfortunately, We Malaysians were in a race with the Singaporeans to see who could open their LCCT/Budget Terminal doors first... well actually... we were the only ones racing... :oops: :pardon:

Seth, you're an American right? Caucasian?? hehehe It's starting to show that you have been in Malaysia too long! :yahoo: :rofl:

Seth, you're an American right? Caucasian?? hehehe It's starting to show that you have been in Malaysia too long! :yahoo: :rofl:

Huhahaha............I'm getting better and better in Miglish/ Singlish!!!! :yahoo: Yeah, 6 months already, huh can't wait for London next year I hope!!!! What happen thou Sandeep, my English getting crapier or already crapy :p ?

Nope, I stand to demolish the LCC :hi: :crazy: :crazy: :girl_devil: =@ :spiteful: Well Malaysia already won the first LCC title, well let see if Malaysia can win the first demolish LCC title!!!

Edited by Seth K

For me I would say let other own the title to the first as first not always best. For me I would rather see KLIA to be build slow but with future planing such as proper placing of building in the right place and build it at the right cost. Current LCCT which only satisfy today need will some how some day demolish which is a waste of tax payer money.

For me I would say let other own the title to the first as first not always best. For me I would rather see KLIA to be build slow but with future planing such as proper placing of building in the right place and build it at the right cost. Current LCCT which only satisfy today need will some how some day demolish which is a waste of tax payer money.

They apparently won't Demolish it.. the layout is such that it can very easily be converted into an additional cargo complex to cater for growth in that area... Transmile is moving into KLIA next year I believe and will occupy the greatly underutilised KLAS Cargo complex.. perhaps with future growth, the LCCT shift will be accelerated and a more visually appealing, yet cost effectively functional terminal be built as its replacement - WITH aerobridges! I really can't see why having aerobridges is such an expensive affair in terms of operational costs.. buy some good, cheap and reliable "container" like aerobridges that only have 2 d.o.f. (e.g. up down, extend out and retract in - like the old ones at Kuching!)

Edited by Sandeep G

We Malaysians were in a race with the Singaporeans to see who could open their LCCT/Budget Terminal doors first... well actually... we were the only ones racing... :oops: :pardon:

Amazing race ? :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

Sandeep actually the cost of using the aerobridge is expensive. Do you know that using an aerobridge for a normal B737 will cost like thousand RM just to ask some one people to connect them within few minutes time. Then remove another thousand. LCC Airline operator will sure ask people to walk on tarmac.

Add on they will save a lot on the fee that they need to pay to the airport operator. It can be say that they can save like milllion base on a year. So do you think they will provide aerobridge for pax. NO IS THE ANSWER.

Sandeep actually the cost of using the aerobridge is expensive. Do you know that using an aerobridge for a normal B737 will cost like thousand RM just to ask some one people to connect them within few minutes time. Then remove another thousand. LCC Airline operator will sure ask people to walk on tarmac.

Add on they will save a lot on the fee that they need to pay to the airport operator. It can be say that they can save like milllion base on a year. So do you think they will provide aerobridge for pax. NO IS THE ANSWER.

Aerobridge fees are part of the airport terminal fees and cost structure. If there is a purpose-built dedicated LCC terminal, fitted with aerobridges, one would assume that the associated costs would be lower. This is what AirAsia has been arguing with MAHB about in recent times (not just in relation to aerobridges, but overall operating costs and fees at the new LCCT). If Aerobridge cost only RM250 or RM500 per use and were available.. I do not see why AirAsia would resist in using them, ESPECIALLY when pax are not happy walking across the apron in hot weather or pouring rain. Which brings me to my next point - weren't MAHB going to install covered walkways fo passengers to reach the apron stands at the LCCT? This was announced in early to mid May.

It's all about negotiation.

Here is Changi Airports cost structure for comparisons sake.

You can see now possibly why JetstarAsia, ThaiAirAsia, Valuair all still operate from the main terminal complex at Changi - the LPA costs there are already fairly reasonable.

Sandeep, any idea if it is possible to obtain the airport charges for KLIA? i tried looking for it but couldnt find anything..

Ditto, also to no avail :) Will try and source them for the benefit of all MWingers.

Here are the Aeronautical Charges for Landing, Passenger Services & Aerobridges as published by the DCA AIP GEN 4: Charges fo Aerodromes/Heliports and Air Navigation Services (refer pages of AIP GEN 4.1-5 & 4.1-6)

FIRST SCHEDULE: LANDING CHARGES

1. Maximum Authorised Weight N/E 5,000 kg - RM3.00 for each 500kg or part thereof (Single Landing)

2. Exceeding 5,000 kg but N/E 45,000 kg - RM30.00 + RM4.00 fo each 500kg or part thereof >5000 kg (Single Landing)

3. Exceeding 45,000 kg but N/E 90,000 kg - RM350.00 + RM4.70 for each 500kg or part thereof >45000 kg (Single Landing)

4. Exceeding 90,000 kg but N/E 135,000 kg - RM773.00 + RM5.30 for each 500kg o part thereof >90000kg (Single Landing)

5. Exceeding 135,000 kg - RM1250.00 + RM5.80 for each 500kg or part thereof >135000 kg

SECOND SCHEDULE: PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGES

i) RM5.00 For each passenger proceeding to any place within Malaysia

ii) RM40.00 For each passenger proceeding to a destination outside Malaysia.

[Applicable at following airports: Alor Setar, Bintulu, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kota Bharu, Kota Kinabalu, KL International, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Kuching, Labuan, Lahad Datu, Langkawi, Malacca, Miri, Mulu, Pangkor, Penang, Sandakan, Sibu, Subang, Tawau & Tioman.

iii) RM20.00 For each passenger from Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Labuan and Miri airports proceeding to destination in Bandar Seri Begawan, Balikpapan, Menado, Pontianak, Tarakan, Davao City, General Santos, Puerto Princessa, Zamboanga and from Ipoh, Penang & Langkawy to destinations in Banda Aceh, Medan, Nias, Hat Yai, Naratiwat & Pattani

THIRD SCHEDULE: HOUSING AND PARKING CHARGES

1. Housing fee per 10 sq.m or part thereof - RM1.00

2. Parking fee per 10 sq.m or part thereof - RM0.50

FOURTH SCHEDULE: CONDITIONS FO PARKING OR HOUSING OF AIRCRAFT--- not included in this posting due perceived lack or relevance ---

FIFTH SCHEDULE: AEROBRIDGE CHARGES

1. First three (3) hours or part thereof - RM85.00

2. Each subsequent hour or part thereof - RM30.00

Applicable at aiports with Aerobridges within Malaysia as follows:

KL International Airport

Penang International

Johor Bahru - Sultan Ismail

Kuching International

Kota Kinabalu International

Labuan

The biggest joke is they say the airport is nearing design capacity of 25 million pax p/a.. however, they have neglected the fact that the LCCT is also within KLIA and was built to house capacity of 10 million pax p/a... thereby meaning that at present the KUL airport complex can handle 35 million pax p/a... they are trying to justify the high number of pax in order to award the contract to build the second satellite terminal (which most likely will be awarded to a govt linked consortium such as Gamuda, UEM, etc etc etc) KLIA this year will break 24 million pax without a doubt, but remember that 6 million of those (that number is from Today's newspaper) are at the LCCT thereby leaving a minimum of 18 million at the MTB... which is 7 million shy of the 25 million capacity..

When a airport is built for 25 millions ppa, should means can handle 25 millions arrival and 25 millions departure respectively. Believe MAB’s ‘passenger movement’ is double counting.

The only way to get rib of taxi touts is to permit regular taxi to pick up pax. Only third world country offer monopoly taxi from the airport.

RM85 for use of an aerobridge - AK also want to potong cost !!

Leo,

Better get back to your source of info re. aerobridge cost being in thousands ! If they are paying that sort of money, they're getting skinned alive !

Surely there are many more aerobridge equipped airports in Malaysia nowadays ?

Surely there are many more aerobridge equipped airports in Malaysia nowadays ?

AFAIK they avoid using aerobridge as much as possible. In KBR, the airport has now been equipped with three aerobridges, yet they normally don't use that and instead use airstairs. Pax still go thru the aerobridge but they instead use a staircase next to it and descend to tarmac.

..... Pax still go thru the aerobridge but they instead use a staircase next to it and descend to tarmac.

"MALAYSIA BOLEH" !!! :)

AFAIK they avoid using aerobridge as much as possible. In KBR, the airport has now been equipped with three aerobridges, yet they normally don't use that and instead use airstairs. Pax still go thru the aerobridge but they instead use a staircase next to it and descend to tarmac.

I was also suprised upon reading the figures in the AIP.. However! I believe that AXM doesn't use aerobridge because they lack equipment such as push-back tugs and engineers at some of their destinations (apart from their hubs). (LAMEs and Engineers are essential items in pushback ops) However, the flights usually have what's called a "flying engineer" aboard the aircraft that conducts the transit check at a destination where no other engineers are available... obviously he/she can't do the pushback and start and then hop back into the plane to fly home!

Hence, why they park the aircraft sideways rather than into the terminal?? I've only really seen this at JHB.. is KBR the same?

I think they would rather do this than use aerobridge and contract pushback and engineer jobs to MAS :D