MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H C Chai

Fare advert - what is your view

Just saw this on the metro.co.uk...

£0 Ryanair seats advert is banned

Ryanair has been ordered not to repeat a TV commercial offering seats for £0. The budget airline's fare did not include non-optional extra taxes and charges, the Advertising Standard Authority said. Those costs ranged from £11.70 to £21.70 at 20 British airports. The industry watchdog said the airline should have said its seats cost 'from' £11.70.

I always find it a bit irritating when airlines are advertising their fares excluding the non-optional extras such as airport taxes, insurance, fuel surcharge and adminstration fees. Since passengers MUST pay these 'extras' in order to fly from A to B and the money is collected at the same time the ticket is purchased, why can't these airlines advertise their fare as 'all inclusive' instead. This situation is so common in Malaysia, not just our homegrown AK and MH are doing this, even SQ is doing the same thing. And i find it so confusing to compare ticket prices.... :nea:

I like some airline that give something as we get on board. Back in 1994 when i flew on delta, all pax a goodie bag which is full of DL stuff like badge, notepad, pen, magazine, peanuts and kids got activity book. makes me feel that it's worth to pay more.

some airline price a vary and sometimes get higher, this is the case where i think that advertising is not worth it.

Edited by Azuddin

Guest Fendy

airasia does this too, offering 'free' seats excluding the airport taxes and surcharge

This is why I 'hate' FR and 'love' AB; check the latter airline to see what I mean ;)

Yea, should bring a legislation in to stop them from doing this sort of misleading ad. Like...TPA? :p

Yea, should bring a legislation in to stop them from doing this sort of misleading ad. Like...TPA? :p

Yep. That's one of the reasons why advertised costings in Australia are all inclusive.

I think it is false adverttising, but when I think about it logically... What airline advertises fares AND includes the taxes?????

So what if the far is $O or $1000... That's the FARE for the seat... so long as the advert includes somewhere the words "Ex-taxes".. then heck.. It's a marketing gimmick, and if you did book and get $0 seat, you would ONLY pay the taxes.. which is pretty fair..

It's all marketing, from airliner point of view, it's all good for them, and you can't sue them because maybe some of those seats are indeed that cheap (minus tax and what not). For us of course we would like to see the full fee, and I applaud airlines that quote us the full fare when we do a search, and not when we select the dates and then only show us the full fare. That's annoying, really.

BA.com is a good example, the fares shown on the dates during selection is all inclusive.

It's all marketing, from airliner point of view, it's all good for them, and you can't sue them because maybe some of those seats are indeed that cheap (minus tax and what not). For us of course we would like to see the full fee, and I applaud airlines that quote us the full fare when we do a search, and not when we select the dates and then only show us the full fare. That's annoying, really.

BA.com is a good example, the fares shown on the dates during selection is all inclusive.

Even MAS for that matter.. QF doesn't though until you've got through most of the online booking process anyway..

The Netherlands just passed a law that all advertisements should be inclusive, effective 2007, not just for airliners but also for holiday packages, sothat customers can really compare prises :good:

Yes I like BA pricing system. No hidden surprises! This makes me appreciate them even more... :)

I heard/read from somewhere that Msia is following suit (with inclusive pricing) in 2007.

Moving away from airfares, we talk about making a trip to McD.

In Msia: RM6.95 meal is NOT RM6.95 because you'll then need to take your calculator out and add 10% service & govt charge to it!

In Aus: $4.95 meal IS $4.95 - that's all you need to bring to McD in exchange for a meal.

What I'm trying to say here, inclusive pricing makes things easier. It makes OUR lives easier, it makes the business's lives easier. SIMPLICITY is the way to go.

One drawback though...If inclusive pricing does happen in Msia, parents will not be able to ask their kids to practice maths when they are shopping (which some LOVE doing so). :blink:

Parent: "It's RM6 now, what's the total after adding 5% to it?"

Kid: "...."

So that's how maths geniuses were trained... <_>

:rofl: :pardon:

Moving away from airfares, we talk about making a trip to McD.

In Msia: RM6.95 meal is NOT RM6.95 because you'll then need to take your calculator out and add 10% service & govt charge to it!

In Aus: $4.95 meal IS $4.95 - that's all you need to bring to McD in exchange for a meal.

What I'm trying to say here, inclusive pricing makes things easier. It makes OUR lives easier, it makes the business's lives easier. SIMPLICITY is the way to go.

Well said Tony! I was also so confused everytime I ordered something from McD or Pizza hut in Malaysia. Lets hope these restaurants won't introduce any extra 'hidden charges' like what AirAsia or MAS did. Otherwise we will be seeing a McD advert saying RM0.99 burger with a small print saying "excluding government taxes, adminstration fee and fuel surcharge" =@ !

Excluding non-optional extras like fuel surcharge, airport tax, etc is misleading. Advertised price should be all inclusive.

Sign in to follow this