MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Vivek

MH 772 loses engine parts while taking off from ARN

Seems like the craft involved is 9M-MRI, judging from those "experts" at A.net.

9M-MRI was the first 777 I have ever flown, she took me from AKL-KUL in 1999. Hope she's okay and back to the air shortly.\

Oh well, I believe Andrew should learned from this by now and not jump into hasty conclusion next time. ;)

Wow Pieter, didn't know you know the Swedish language too ;)

Edited by S V Choong

The news reached to the US? :blink:

That's unexpected to me :huh: :mellow:

My friend is also interested in aircraft also, so should I tell him about this accident (just want to know?

I think the cause is poor maintenance :o

:angry: go and ask AK about maintenance.. you will know why.. :D

I put my bet on blade separation.

Nope.. I bet not the blades :rofl: Guess some more...

Fuel dump will be performed until MLW is achieved ( Max Landing Weight )

I'm sure the boys at the MH Hangar are going to be under some sort of rigid questioning since this aircraft had just come back from Maintenance at SZB a couple of days earlier .

Anyhow , things this , it happens ..

Don't blame anyone or anything first . Let them come up with their investigation report first .

Andrew , Next time your dad's car break down you going to blame the mechanic ah ? :diablo:

:pardon: Only God knows..

wooahhhh :) MH putting on an airshow display now with smoke system?? :D

Just kidding! Hey, the pilots train for this stuff, the engine is machinery and all machinery is succeptible to problems..

Plane landed safely and well, we'll see what happens with the report.

Report will be made public as it happened on foreign soil. Is NTSB also having a gander since the flight originated in USA??? How about Rolls Royce?? Has the bird been ferried back to KUL or when can we expect her?

Is that aircarft still at ARN now ?

MRI still in ARN for rectification and utilising some parts taken off from MRL.

The news reached to the US? :blink:

That's unexpected to me :huh: :mellow:

Of course it reached US, the plane originate from US, and we live in modern world, news can get to everywhere in million mili second :good: Ur dad cousin is 777 stewardess, not 747? I dunno the difference thou :(

Guys what about the stranded pax, are they been rebook or waiting other MH flights? I hope everything will be alright, perhaps when they have futher inspection in SZB, our jokers can make a visit!!!!

Edited by Seth K

Of course it reached US, the plane originate from US, and we live in modern world, news can get to everywhere in million mili second :good: Ur dad cousin is 777 stewardess, not 747? I dunno the difference thou :(

Is the plane originated in New York, because my dad's cousin goes there as a 777 stewardess? :huh: :help:

I'm not sure because the plane may came from:

Newark Int'l Airport

New York JFK Int'l Airport

But sometimes she is a 747 stewardess :rofl: .

Edited by Andrew Ong

I think the D-Duct composite part near the bypass section of the engine suffered delamination...this could caused back pressure and cause a minor "expolosion"....

..this , if I'm not mistaken, also happend to Cathay's 777-300 case which lost a large composite piece from the D-duct ( also powered by Rolls Royce Trent 892 as in MAS 777s) and a few other similar cases....looks like the Rolls Royces 892 Trents have suffered this delamination problem more than GE90s or P&W4000s...

..this is the second time this has happened to a MAS 777.....

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0112157/M/

..someone in Airliners also posted this interesting facts about the accident...

"Some facts

First the pilot was informed by ATC.

Due to a small surge at 6000ft the engine was reduced to idle power.

The aircraft returned after fuel dumping and landed safely using thrust reverse.

The engine was running on arrival at the gate, and there were no cockpit indications of any problems

The D Duct inner skin (honeycomb/carbon fibre) left the aircraft.

The exhaust nozzle was damaged by the air pressure getting into the core.

The Engine seems to be fully serviceable, after a nozzle replacement.

The D Duct needs replacing, and will arrive at ARN on a MH freighter Saturday night.

Steve on the ARN Ramp. "

Here's the photo.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1134244/L/

It is sad that amongst us we first think about poor maintenance etc when we first see the photo. Because it is not the blame game that we should play. To me the photo, and the full story is a story of success. That the pilots, having a major EFATO (engine failure after takeoff) successfully do what they have been training for all along, and bring the aircraft and the passangers safely down. That, my friend, is a very good thing. Otherwise there would be an even major story, even bigger than those of Nigeria and Greece recently.

Kudos to the crew for a job well done.

The probability of an engine failure after takeoff is small, but it is not zero.

Here's the photo.

As at 7.15pm MYT today, this photo is the 3rd most popular photo in last 24hrs at A.net. :nea:

Guest Fendy

Is the plane originated in New York, because my dad's cousin goes there as a 777 stewardess? :huh: :help:

I'm not sure because the plane may came from:

Newark Int'l Airport

New York JFK Int'l Airport

But sometimes she is a 747 stewardess :rofl: .

the plane comes from newark.

haiyoooo.. why are spotters always around to take gambar and post on Airliners.net for MH incidents... such a coincidence... :huh:

Now MRJ in ZRH, MRI in ARN and that 744 in HKG (Kai Tak).. hai sehhh

Ahmad, some great info you have to share there. Thanks :good:

When I see the photos on A.net, and know that it was just shortly after takeoff (still in the takeoff phase), a sense of respect surged through me for the MH crews wo brought the troubled T7 safely back on terra firma. Kudos to the crews! A great job well done!

By the way, I was just recounting some tragedies at takeoff phase to my fellow companies during my past two flights, just a few days ago! Fuuh... Do I have sixth sense??

Well done to the crew~ Remember that incident in PER in which the T7 suffered eletrical systems damage? :good:

~Salute~

haiyoooo.. why are spotters always around to take gambar and post on Airliners.net for MH incidents... such a coincidence... :huh:

Now MRJ in ZRH, MRI in ARN and that 744 in HKG (Kai Tak).. hai sehhh

Ahmad, some great info you have to share there. Thanks :good:

can't we think on another hand? those pix can be a memorable pix... which not every incident/accident got it, unless NG make it... :p <_>

anyway, MRI are so clean.... :p

The full story <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)"> :

The Star Online

Now MRJ in ZRH, 744 in HKG (Kai Tak).. hai sehhh

What happened at ZRH for 9M-MRJ and that 744 at VHHH? :huh: :help: :help:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Ermmm.. MRG was the bird with a few lines of code missing from the Honeywell Systems guys..

MRC many years ago in PER also suffered an engine problem shortly after take-off and returned for an engine change.

Well, the significance and importance of spotters was highlighted in this case by their ability to communicate with ATC and affirm that the situation had been recorded and witnessed by the ATC thereby preventing another potential disaster due to FOD...

Well, the significance and importance of spotters was highlighted in this case by their ability to communicate with ATC and affirm that the situation had been recorded and witnessed by the ATC thereby preventing another potential disaster due to FOD...

Oh, spotters informed ATC??

Oh, spotters informed ATC??

ATC knew, but spotters informed the duty manager anyway.. So whilst there actions were secondary in nature, it still is, in my opinion, a testament to the significance of spotters..

Luckily, I managed to took a picture of 9M-MRI and two of her "friends" (9M-MPG and 9M-MPB) three months before the incident :o :

IPB Image

***9M-MRI is in the middle of the picture.

IPB Image

***fin of -MRI is behind -MPB.

Luckily, I managed to took a picture of 9M-MRI and two of her "friends" (9M-MPG and 9M-MPB) three months before the incident :o :

Why it has to be "luckily", Andrew? You can still take pictures of her in KUL and anywhere else she flies in the 777 route network when she's fixed up and back flying (which should be in no time at all) :blink:

hehehe also sorry for highlighting your grammatical error above :) I tried reading the sentence out loud and it really is a bit of a tongue twister.

Edited by Sandeep G

Sign in to follow this