MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Vivek

MH 772 loses engine parts while taking off from ARN

An unfortunate incident, glad all the pax were ok, and we'll wait for the EXPERT report and NOT make any conclusions for ourselves :good:

When things like this happen, the favourite line by everybody who so suddenly appear to have an opinion on how an airline should be run is 'poor maintenance'. Sigh. Same case with the LRT. One train hit the buffers and every Tom, Dick and Harry concludes it's poor maintenance, never mind they haven't the slightest idea what maintenance is.

I feel the way you feel. Even the government is not constructive when giving comments most of the time; always put poor maintainance or management in blame. Sad about it.

There is a certain standard of maintenance that has to be met before trains are allowed to leave the depot. Just like the airlines even trains have structured scheduled maintenance exams.

I've seen people cite 'lack of maintenance' when the event incident report of that has not been out yet (in the case of the STAR LRT, it has not but already tons of letters essentially accusing staff of goyang kaki pours into letters to the editor section).

I've been with railway maintenance before, and to hear people say 'lack of maintenance' when they don't know squat about the running of railways to me is a grave accusation. Similarly, for aircraft engineering, I'm sure for the maintenance crew to hear such accusation is close to accusing them of receiving 'blind salary'.

Anyway, my point is that so many people love to open their mouths talking about stuff they barely know about. Aircraft engineering/maintenance, and for railways for that matter, do not run the way most of us think. Best to leave it to the experts, at least until the official report comes out. There is this thing called human error, after all.

To the point, Azmal! The engineers know more than laymen do and what else should a layman say?!

Wonder if we will ever see the daylight of the official report. With incident like this, isn't it a MAS usual habit to have it under the lid?

SV,

It seems the 'keep it under lid' dept has done its function well again here - not a squeak about this incident so far in the local press. Here in Sabah anyway, those who read the national dailies, please correct me if wrong

Lee,

Thanks for digging this out. I can't make any sense out of the text (anyone surprised ?!) but the bit about the guy snuggling up close to the the mummy bear and baby bear in that manner, I assume must either be a description of a tranquilized bear or a side effect of transplanting one's testicles with solid stainless steel balls !! :)

Edited by BC Tam

Guest Fendy

according to a.net its 9M-MRI...

haha must be azahan, jksc and edwin did something to it :D

Awesome pix Lee, if the airplane is smoking that much and pilots decided to land after ATC informed so, there might be some problem in the T7 system itself. Why blaming MH? What about mechanics in EWR and ARN, they might also done something wrong to the aircraft, 2 cent :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

Lee,

Thanks for digging this out. I can't make any sense out of the text (anyone surprised ?!) but the bit about the guy snuggling up close to the the mummy bear and baby bear in that manner, I assume must either be a description of a tranquilized bear or a side effect of transplanting one's testicles with solid stainless steel balls !! :)

BC,

Let me try to translate as best as I can from Swedish to English:

Under the picture:

Only a few seconds after airborne of MH091, the air was filled with smoke from the engine.

Text:

Here's the damaged engine of MH091, a few seconds after airborne from Arlanda.

Eyewitness Fredrik Granberg took pictures of a heavily smoking left engine and parts of the engine fell down next to the runway.

On board were 279 passengers, of which most were Swedish on their way to Kuala Lumpur.

The airplane took off at 13.55 from Arlanda. a Few seconds thereafter, the pilots of the plane a Boeing 777 reported problems with the left engine. At the same time airport-staff saw smoking parts fall from the engine. A catastrophe alarm was issued by the hospital, police and fire-brigade at the highest level.

The plane was around 60-70 meters away from me, when I heared a loud bang followed by a (lot of) smoke-plume from the engine, said eye-witness Fredrik Granberg. At the same time, parts fell from the engine.

It just looked like confetti coming down like rain, metal fragments. It were quite big pieces.

The plane did not return immediately for landing at Arlanda, it proceeded first to Ostersjon to dump some fuel. At 14.47 the plane (emergency)landed safely.

:sorry: Sorry for some crooked usage of English: this is the best I can do from the Swedish language ;)

I assume must either be a description of a tranquilized bear or a side effect of transplanting one's testicles with solid stainless steel balls !!

:lol: seems to fit the conclusion well doesn't it?

Edited by S V Choong

Tech problems happen all the time, but MH seems to have the bad luck of having spotters photographing their incidents sensationally... like the tail strike in ZRH and now the smoky engine... :(

But well done MH for a succesful landing!

Thanks for the translation Pieter - what crooked English ?!

Can you oblige with the bit on the two bears and a man (I'm assuming it's a man !) ? :)

That's really a lot of smoke and debris! Fortunately it is not serious enough to be fatal. Good job to the pilots!

A question here. In such case, is it really better to dump fuel first before making an emergency landing? I am aware that it can be too heavy for a normal landing but what if we take too long a time and the damage worsens?

Any passenger eyewitness said anything?

That's really a lot of smoke and debris! Fortunately it is not serious enough to be fatal. Good job to the pilots!

A question here. In such case, is it really better to dump fuel first before making an emergency landing? I am aware that it can be too heavy for a normal landing but what if we take too long a time and the damage worsens?

Any passenger eyewitness said anything?

Fuel dump will be performed until MLW is achieved ( Max Landing Weight )

I'm sure the boys at the MH Hangar are going to be under some sort of rigid questioning since this aircraft had just come back from Maintenance at SZB a couple of days earlier .

Anyhow , things this , it happens ..

Don't blame anyone or anything first . Let them come up with their investigation report first .

Andrew ,

Next time your dad's car break down you going to blame the mechanic ah ? :diablo:

wooahhhh :) MH putting on an airshow display now with smoke system?? :D

Just kidding! Hey, the pilots train for this stuff, the engine is machinery and all machinery is succeptible to problems..

Plane landed safely and well, we'll see what happens with the report.

Report will be made public as it happened on foreign soil. Is NTSB also having a gander since the flight originated in USA??? How about Rolls Royce?? Has the bird been ferried back to KUL or when can we expect her?

Well...at least no one was hurt in this incident...

...I remember, was in 2004 , one of Cathay Pacific's 777-300 lost a large engine piece which fell on a car, badly damaging it... luckly no one was hurt in that accident too!!...can u imagine the face of the driver of the car???..after his car got smashed by an aircraft engine falling from the sky...

hmmm..not mistaken, CA's 777 are also powered by Rolls Royce Trents???..

Cathay Pacific takes four aircraft out of service

Airline Industry Information, Dec 9, 2004

AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION-©1997-2004 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD

Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific Airways announced on Wednesday (8 December) that it has temporarily withdrawn four of its 10 Boeing 777-300 aircraft from service.

The decision was made after an engine part fell off one of the jets and struck a car following takeoff from Bangkok, Thailand last week.

On 1 December flight 751 bound for Bombay, India had to return to Bangkok when a section of engine duct fell to the ground.

Cathay Pacific said that it has checked all 10 of its Boeing 777-300s and found problems with engine ducts in four of them. Boeing experts have reportedly travelled to Hong Kong to investigate the jets and make the necessary modifications.

Fuel dump will be performed until MLW is achieved ( Max Landing Weight )

Is that done in any case? For instance, if the a/c loses all engines shortly after takeoff for a long journey and it is only enough vertical and horizontal space for an immediately turn-back and landing? Just curious...

I'm sure the boys at the MH Hangar are going to be under some sort of rigid questioning since this aircraft had just come back from Maintenance at SZB a couple of days earlier .

Is this a/c the one that our jokers went on-board at the hangar? If it is, aren't our guys gonna be asked for questioning as well?? :blink:

Cathay Pacific takes four aircraft out of service

Airline Industry Information, Dec 9, 2004

AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION-©1997-2004 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD

Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific Airways announced on Wednesday (8 December) that it has temporarily withdrawn four of its 10 Boeing 777-300 aircraft from service.

The decision was made after an engine part fell off one of the jets and struck a car following takeoff from Bangkok, Thailand last week.

On 1 December flight 751 bound for Bombay, India had to return to Bangkok when a section of engine duct fell to the ground.

Cathay Pacific said that it has checked all 10 of its Boeing 777-300s and found problems with engine ducts in four of them. Boeing experts have reportedly travelled to Hong Kong to investigate the jets and make the necessary modifications.

What is the conclusion of the investigation?

Is that done in any case? For instance, if the a/c loses all engines shortly after takeoff for a long journey and it is only enough vertical and horizontal space for an immediately turn-back and landing? Just curious...

Is this a/c the one that our jokers went on-board at the hangar? If it is, aren't our guys gonna be asked for questioning as well?? :blink:

What is the conclusion of the investigation?

As long no one in the NTSB knows about MalaysianWings , I think we're safe enough .

If aircraft loses ALL engines ( highly unlikely )

Then dump as much fuel as you can

When it lands , I believe that will be its last landing . :blink:

Aircraft dump fuel to reduce landing weight, so that the structure is not damaged. But in really major emergency, overweight landing could be an option.

Aircraft dump fuel to reduce landing weight, so that the structure is not damaged. But in really major emergency, overweight landing could be an option.

I see; so it is still ok to land overweight in emergencies where immediate landing is called for. I think one example would be fire on board.

As long no one in the NTSB knows about MalaysianWings , I think we're safe enough .

Let's hope not... :D So the jokers were really there... :rofl:

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

If aircraft loses ALL engines ( highly unlikely )

Then dump as much fuel as you can

When it lands , I believe that will be its last landing . :blink:

So, when an aircraft loses an engine, it has to dump as much fuel as possible in order to land safely.

Andrew ,

Next time your dad's car break down you going to blame the mechanic ah ? :diablo:

Sorry :sorry: :sorry: ; I got very shocked because I thought my dad's cousin (flight attendant for MAS) was on that flight :blink: :sorry: .

Edited by Andrew Ong

Sign in to follow this