Injuries 0

Aircraft

Aircraft type Boeing 777-200

Operator Malaysia Airlines

Tail number 9M-MRI

Passengers 300

Crew unknown

Survivors 300

Malaysia Airlines Flight 91 was a Boeing 777-200 departing on November 3, 2006 from Stockholm-Arlanda Airport for the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. During take-off the airplane's engine exploded. After tapping out the fuel in the sea (standard procedure) the aircraft returned safely to Stockholm-Arlanda Airport. No one were injured or dead in the accident.

For Picture, click here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1134...=&photo_nr=

Hi Tina,

Don't rule out an airline or a particular type of aircraft because of an incident. The Triple Seven is an absolutely amazing aircraft to be flying in - be it as a pax or a pilot. ;)

The exact same aircraft that experienced the little incident in Stockholm is still flying around the world - with every part attached. That aircraft might be in Stockholm today, and it might not tomorrow. It has everything to do with how the airline rotates the aircraft (i.e. the schedule of the aircraft).

Tina, Tony is right there, don't rule out that the B777 is not a safe aircraft because its brand new and it is the safest aircraft to fly in the skies :) :)

Engine exploded? I dont remember that happening..

Neither do I - it was only choking on debris...

Neither do I - it was only choking on debris...

It was being a typical Malaysian lor... spitting here there and everywhere! hahahha KIDDING!!

Seriously, the initial reports clearly state that the flight crew didn't notice any MAJOR abnormalities and a minor surge following the ATC report to the pilots led to the precautionary shutdown of that engine. A safe and fully normal IFSD Landing was then conducted.

May I just say that 9V-SVF suffered an inflight shutdown last weekend (Sat 18th) whilst en route from PEN-SIN and diverted to KUL as a precaution... was there any hoo-ha? nopes! Is SIA not a "safe" carrier anymore??? Absolute bull - they are still one of the safest and same goes for MAS.

Pics of 9V-SVF to follow shortly in my trip report of my recent 1 week escapade in PER. :D

I don't get how everyone's paranoid about getting onto MH's 772s now after that incident in ARN.

By that logic, why don't people avoid SQ 744s (SQ6, AKL tail strike etc)? I do admit to avoiding 9V-SMT (birdy in AKL tailstrike) but only because it still has the old Ultimo seats (ie no Spacebeds) and not because of its perceived lack of safety.

As the saying goes, s#1t happens. You buy your ticket and you take your chance.

Edited by Keith T

Hey anyone know about her story anymore? The 9M-MRI? Is she healthy already and join her other sisters flying around the world? or being grounded for a while in MAS Hangar.. Last time I check, the engine D-Duct being replace and hopefully she is good to go. Hate to see any technical incident with MH coz it will contribute to increase of cost :)

and for me I'd love to fly in this thing coz now i know she has new engine part :):)..

Edited by JessnorArif

Hey anyone know about her story anymore? The 9M-MRI? Is she healthy already and join her other sisters flying around the world? or being grounded for a while in MAS Hangar.. Last time I check, the engine D-Duct being replace and hopefully she is good to go. Hate to see any technical incident with MH coz it will contribute to increase of cost :)

and for me I'd love to fly in this thing coz now i know she has new engine part :):)..

Yes, she is flying around the world again :)

During the incident, did the engine malfunctioned or was there a defect in the engine (just curious)? :help:

During the incident, did the engine malfunctioned or was there a defect in the engine (just curious)? :help:

WAIT FOR REPORT! :good:

the smoke and debris is just and Carbon Fibre fairing disintegrate inside the engine.

It didnt affect the Main engine component like Fan Blades or combustion chamber..

IPB Image

the yellow lines is the D ring Carbon Fibre component that we saw spraying out of MRI during take off.

Thats it...Ops normal.

Come back and land...leave to RR and Boeing to handle the component.

Not MH problems.

everything is safe.

Yeah thanks TK..

MRP has new engines with beautiful blue cones :D

wow... ur eyes so sharp ar... hehe...

anyway, thanks for the information and picture, Tk... :)

wow... ur eyes so sharp ar... hehe...

Haha.. Thanks :rofl:

No la..Just right click once with your mouse on the photo, properties..then you will know it :good: :rofl:

Edited by Min Chun

Sign in to follow this