MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Northwest Airlines

Isn't UA still in Chapter 11 and trying to be out early 2007 ?

UA has been out of Ch11 since Feb 2006.

First they pull the plug on Mesaba (landing the company in Chapter 11), now they want to take-over the company :o

Northwest In Talks To Take Over Mesaba Air

December 22, 2006

Bankrupt Northwest Airlines is in talks to buy Mesaba Airlines, one of its regional carriers, Northwest said on Friday.

Northwest said it has discussed co-sponsoring Mesaba's reorganization plan, a move that would allow Northwest to take over Mesaba in a principally non-cash deal. Mesaba is a unit of Mair Holdings.

"Northwest is working with Mesaba to conclude a more definitive agreement," Northwest said in a statement.

Mesaba filed for Chapter 11 in October 2005, squeezed by the bankruptcy of Northwest.

(Reuters)

They should shut down the whole airlines immediately to prevend more loses.....

That's a non market solution..............

Not sure whether CO has filed for CH11 before.

Yes. CO has filed for CH11 twice. Around the same time as TW which also had filed for CH11 twice.

I know that AA is one of the few legacy carriers which has never filed for CH11.

Sigh...Northworst....

I think it's the only legacy carrier which has never filed for CH11 now.

TWA - Trans World Airlines = The Worst Airline :D

Is NWA is suffering the same way MAS is suffering right now? :huh: :help:

Not quite. The major issue at NWA is too high of operating cost (labor, fuel, just to mention a few).

I don't think its right to draw comparisons between MAS and NWA... The operating environments are EXTREMELY different. However, both are indeed having Financial Problems and both have implemented restructuring plans to return both carriers to the black!

Agreed. NW has this very complicated big hubs and high labor cost while MAS has only 1 major hub namely KUL. BKI is also a small hub for MAS but NW got plenty of this kind of small hub in the States. NRT & AMS are also NWA hubs. Problem at MAS is like a minor problem compared to NWA's.

You can read all about CO story in Sir Gordon Bethune book, "From Worst to First"

I've got this book :)

Has UA filed Ch11 bankruptcy also in 2003 or 2004? :help: :help:

In 2002.

not sure about it, all i knew that they did sent some of their 747, 767 and 777 to Mojave.

Yes. Approximately 30% of their 744 were taken out of service. Their strong 75x B727-200 Advanced (72S) were permanently grounded. Retirement of the 762 were speed up.

Really? :blink: Kinda suprised to hear it.Thought that UA financial status was kinda strong.

That was in the 90s, same as NW :)

If i'm not mistaken,NWA also sent some of their a/c s to Mojave.Am i right,Azuddin?

Yes. 4x of their 16x 744 were taken out of service for a while but it's now all back with NWA.

They should shut down the whole airlines immediately to prevend more loses.....

Definately not !

Yes. CO has filed for CH11 twice. Around the same time as TW which also had filed for CH11 twice.

Some corrections ! The first time CO filed for CH11 was in 1983 and second in 1990.

Northwest Reorganization Plan Due By Next Week

January 9, 2007

Northwest Airlines intends to file its plan of reorganization with a US bankruptcy court by early next week, a Northwest spokesman said on Tuesday.

The airline, which has been operating under bankruptcy protection since September 2005, has until January 16 to exclusively file a plan of reorganization (POR) with the court.

"We plan to file our POR by January 16," Northwest spokesman Bill Mellon said.

Northwest has said it plans to come out of bankruptcy in the first half of this year. The carrier entered bankruptcy with plans to cut costs by USD$2.5 billion a year.

Northwest has suffered along with the rest of the industry under the weight of high fuel costs and low-fare competition.

Northwest declined to comment on objections filed in bankruptcy court to Northwest's proposed buyout of bankrupt regional carrier Mesaba Airlines, a unit of MAIR Holdings.

Two MAIR shareholders -- Riley Investment Partners Master Fund and Thales Fund Management -- on Monday filed objections with Mesaba's bankruptcy court in Minneapolis, claiming Northwest's bid is below fair market value.

The shareholders said Mesaba was not marketed to other potential bidders and that Northwest "now seeks to fast-track an insider buyout of Mesaba at a bargain basement price."

(Reuters)

Northwest Files Reorganization Plan

January 12, 2007

Northwest Airlines filed a plan to exit bankruptcy as an independent company on Friday, aiming to give fresh stock to some creditors and raise capital from investors, including private equity firms.

The plan, which will be fleshed out in a more detailed filing next month, moves the US number 5 airline a step closer to exiting bankruptcy and adds urgency to any rival airlines considering a bid for the company, as consolidation fever grips the sector.

The reorganization plan and the disclosure statement require court approval. Upon receipt, the airline will seek creditor approval of the plan. Northwest said it hopes to exit Chapter 11 between April and the end of June.

Northwest said it will issue stock in the restructured company to unsecured creditors in exchange for their claims and will cancel its current common and preferred stock. Holders of those shares will get nothing.

Northwest has been in talks with bankrupt Delta Air Lines about a possible link-up after exiting Chapter 11, according to a source familiar with the talks. Delta itself is the target of a USD$10.5 billion bid by US Airways.

"This could pave the way for a bold strategic move," said Joe Schwieterman, transportation expert at DePaul University. "Northwest wants to get its house in order first, before moving to a mega-consolidation. This could lay the groundwork for its hopes for reaching out for a merger partner."

Northwest filed its plan in a federal New York bankruptcy court ahead of its January 16 deadline to do so without interference from outside parties.

Judge Allan Gropper also granted a request by Northwest, which had the consent of its creditor committee, for an extension until February 15 to file a disclosure statement, which would give details of the restructuring plan.

"They can't do anything with the plan without the disclosure statement," said Thomas Salerno, chairman of the financial reorganization practice at the Squire, Sanders & Dempsey law firm.

He said the filing of the reorganization plan signals that the company is entering the final stages of its bankruptcy but that potential investors will have a clearer outlook on the company when Northwest files its disclosure statement.

Northwest, based in Eagan, Minnesota, entered bankruptcy protection in September 2005 after losing USD$4.2 billion in the previous four years.

"Over the past 16 months, we have achieved the three key objectives we set for our restructuring," Northwest Chief Executive Doug Steenland said in a statement.

"We have removed USD$2.4 billion in annual costs from the business; we have restructured our fleet and entered into new aircraft purchase agreements; and we have significantly strengthened our balance sheet," he said. "We remain on track to report a pretax profit for the full year 2006."

Gropper has yet to rule on a request by a group of Northwest shareholders, who hold about 18.6 percent of the airline's outstanding common stock, to appoint an official committee of equity holders to represent their interests after the US Trustee denied their request on December 26. A hearing on that matter is set for February 14.

Northwest's plan gives it the option to raise money by selling equity in the restructured company and possibly raise capital from private equity firms. The company also plans to convert its existing bankruptcy financing into new forms of debt.

The new debt would include a USD$175 million revolving credit facility and a USD$1.05 billion loan, including a USD$75 million letter of credit, each with a maturity date of August 2013, the airline said.

Northwest has not commented publicly on its likely role in any industry consolidation, but it has hired investment bank Evercore to help evaluate its strategy.

(Reuters)

Again, how long will they sustain ? :o

Northwest Loses USD$349 Mln In January

March 2, 2007

Northwest Airlines lost USD$349 million in January, burdened by expenses from its ongoing restructuring.

Northwest said in a court filing on Wednesday it had USD$291 million in reorganization items in January. Its operating revenues for the month were USD$892 million.

Northwest, which has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since September 2005 and hopes to emerge by the second quarter, said it had USD$1.62 billion in cash and cash equivalents at the end of January.

Northwest, which like other large traditional carriers has suffered from high labor and operating costs, is using bankruptcy to cut expenses by USD$2.5 billion a year.

(Reuters)

349 million in one month !!! :o

Yeah talk about Northwest, I'm flying Northwest from SIN to NRT with their so-good A332 and haven't decide yet between NRT-ICN(A332) or NRT-PUS(757) also with NW......complimentary upgrade for elite member between NRT-PUS flight thou :pardon: Tough choice <_ since ak decide to join kul-sin market this maay i am hoping that can use their service sin july....>

Edited by Seth K

I was aboard NW SIN-NRT during the last winter break and I found that their product wasn't that bad. PTV with AVOD system for the 6+ hours flight on the brand new 332. Tasty breakfast, clean cabin, on time departure and arrival.. I have nothing to complaint, except for the VERY early departure.. checked in was done at 4 a.m..!! :vava: :lazy:

Edited by Mohamad Othman

I was aboard NW SIN-NRT during the last winter break and I found that their product wasn't that bad. PTV with AVOD system for the 6+ hours flight on the brand new 332. Tasty breakfast, clean cabin, on time departure and arrival.. I have nothing to complaint, except for the VERY early departure.. checked in was done at 4 a.m..!! :vava: :lazy:

Yeah I notice that, 6AM flight <_ reason i choose it because of skyteam latest offer got flight from sin-nrt-icn-nrt-sin all on a332 first class using economy ticket src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_drinks.gif" alt=":drinks:">

Edited by Seth K

Northwest Flight Canceled After Pilot's Foul Language

April 9, 2007

Northwest Airlines canceled a flight set to leave from Las Vegas to Detroit after the captain cursed on a cell phone in a bathroom, then swore at one of the 180 passengers on the plane.

"He used what was described to me as rude language," Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said about Friday's incident on Northwest Flight 1190.

"At some point during the boarding process, he left the cockpit, went into the front lavatory, locked the door and continued his conversation.

"Passengers who were boarding the aircraft could hear his end of the conversation through the lavatory door."

When the captain emerged from the bathroom, a passenger confronted him about his behavior, reportedly prompting more cursing by the pilot of the Boeing 757 aircraft.

Local police questioned the captain, whose name was not released, and determined there was no cause to conduct a sobriety test, Gregor said.

But Northwest canceled the flight and flew the pilot back to his base in Detroit. The airline said it expected to get the last of the delayed passengers to their destinations by Sunday.

"Northwest is conducting a review of the matter and has apologized to its customers for the inconvenience," the company said in a statement. "Northwest has provided impacted customers with meals and hotels. In recognition of the inconvenience, they will receive compensation from Northwest Airlines."

(Reuters)

Sun Apr 8, 9:33 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Northwest Airlines canceled a flight set to leave from Las Vegas to Detroit after the captain cursed on a cell phone in a bathroom, then swore at one of the 180 passengers on the plane, officials said on Saturday.

"He used what was described to me as rude language," Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said about Friday's incident on Northwest Flight 1190.

"At some point during the boarding process, he left the cockpit, went into the front lavatory, locked the door and continued his conversation.

"Passengers who were boarding the aircraft could hear his end of the conversation through the lavatory door."

When the captain emerged from the bathroom, a passenger confronted him about his behavior, reportedly prompting more cursing by the pilot of the B757 aircraft.

Local police questioned the captain, whose name was not released, and determined there was no cause to conduct a sobriety test, Gregor said.

But Northwest canceled the flight and flew the pilot back to his base in Detroit.

"Northwest is conducting a review of the matter and has apologized to its customers for the inconvenience," the company said in a statement. "Northwest has provided impacted customers with meals and hotels. In recognition of the inconvenience, they will receive compensation from Northwest Airlines."

Hi i'm new here. Second day.

I guess swearing at his passengers means that the cptn is in an unstable state of mind and thus has to be replaced. You never know what will the cptn do if he gets a second call from the same person and continue arguing while flying. So since the cptn has to be replaced the flight has to be cancelled because the stand-by pilot whole not be there in an instant I guess. I don't think they keep stand-by pilots in the airport.

2 cents worth

I guess swearing at his passengers means that the cptn is in an unstable state of mind and thus has to be replaced. You never know what will the cptn do if he gets a second call from the same person and continue arguing while flying. So since the cptn has to be replaced the flight has to be cancelled because the stand-by pilot whole not be there in an instant I guess. I don't think they keep stand-by pilots in the airport.

2 cents worth

I pretty much agreed with that ..

Guest Fendy
second call from the same person and continue arguing while flying.

2 cents worth

how to get a call while inflight?

how to get a call while inflight?

i think u have a 'chance' to make a call inflight, use ur mobile phone i mean.a MAS pilot/FO in flydamnit storied that her aircraft's attitude indicator, GS n LOC other indicators came crazy when a few pax make a cal to their loved ones while they approaching WMKB. The pax made a phone cal to tell their loved ones that they will be landed in few minutes. the capt asked cabin crew leader to check the cause of situation 1stly. n finally she found that there were 3/4 pax were talkng by their mobile phone.at last, cockpit officers turned off the autopilot n flew manually. After the capt set the parking brake, he made an announcement with quite a tough tone n remind the pax to make sure they switched off their phone b4 make a walk into aircraft.

ambillah iktibar dan pengajaran drpd kisah ini..

Dont make phone calls in a Fokker... :rofl:

i think u have a 'chance' to make a call inflight, use ur mobile phone i mean.a MAS pilot/FO in flydamnit storied that her aircraft's attitude indicator, GS n LOC other indicators came crazy when a few pax make a cal to their loved ones while they approaching WMKB. The pax made a phone cal to tell their loved ones that they will be landed in few minutes. the capt asked cabin crew leader to check the cause of situation 1stly. n finally she found that there were 3/4 pax were talkng by their mobile phone.at last, cockpit officers turned off the autopilot n flew manually. After the capt set the parking brake, he made an announcement with quite a tough tone n remind the pax to make sure they switched off their phone b4 make a walk into aircraft.

read a similiar one except its from a Turkish airline pilot, from airliners.net i think.

Once takeoff they wanted to switch to A/P on LNAV and VNAV but the plane did not give any respond to that, autothrottle too did not give any response. They made 4-5 announcements to have handphones shut off but no avail. Finally the crew resorted in checking the pax one by one and then found out i think 4 phones were on inflight, some was listening songs through it.

Matikanlah telefon anda sebelum anda dimatikan... :pardon:

2 cents worth

Yep thats definately why, pilots can't be flustered or aggrivated whilst flying as it would affect their judgement.

As for the call inflight, it was before the flight started, otherwise they wouldn;t be able to take him off the aircraft and replace hm. hehe

read a similiar one except its from a Turkish airline pilot, from airliners.net i think.

Once takeoff they wanted to switch to A/P on LNAV and VNAV but the plane did not give any respond to that, autothrottle too did not give any response. They made 4-5 announcements to have handphones shut off but no avail. Finally the crew resorted in checking the pax one by one and then found out i think 4 phones were on inflight, some was listening songs through it.

Matikanlah telefon anda sebelum anda dimatikan... :pardon:

I doubt the handphone could affect the A/P and LNAV / VNAV .

If thats the case then we would all have to turn off our computers when we're near computers which makes things IMPOSSIBLE

Watched MythBuster, having told that phone can\'t affect the plane, I know that for sure, but I never hv the guts to try it, cuz I just dun want to be sorry(if I hv a chance to).....:lol:

Sign in to follow this