MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Shu Sheng

about runways number...

hi...everyone...

i m shu sheng...

is there anyone here know about how is the runways number determined?

coz i have been 'investicating' for a long long time...

but still have no any idea...

thank u...

cheer

s.sheng

Very interesting question you have there

I also once had this question lurking in my head for quite some time

The numbers are determined by the Magnetic Directional Heading of the runway , for example , at KUL , runway 14L and 14R have a heading of 147 and 32R and 32L have a heading of 327 .. You see where i'm heading for here ?

Gavin, contrary to you, that question never came to my mind. I came across it right away when learning to fly (FS lah)... Only then I realize runways are numbered.

Shu Sheng, to make it short, read your compass indication, round it to the nearest tenth, drop the zero behind. There are variations though: Heading for a runway at PEN (WMKP) is042. It's called Rwy 4 in US system, Rwy 04 in international system. Parallel runways are labeled "R," "C," "L," accordingly, following the numbers, as Gavin pointed out.

A question here: WMKK Rwys 14 heading 147 or 146? Rwys 32 heading 327 or 326? Some sources have it 147, some others 146...

Might as well i reproduced my answer from "somewhere".. smile.gif

From Annex14 - Aerodrome, ICAO

Para 5.2.2.4

A runway designation marking shall consist of a two-digit number and on parallel runways shall be supplemented with a letter. On a single runway, dual parallel runways and tripple parallel runways the two-digit number shall be whole number nearest the one-tenth of the magnetic North when viewed from the direction of approach. On four or more more parallel runways, one set of adjacent runways shall be numbered to the nearest one-tenth magnetic azimuth and the other set of adjacent runways numbered to the next nearest one-tenth of magnetic azimuth. When the above rule would give a single digit number, it shall be preceded by a zero.

Para 5.2.2.5

In the case of parallel runways, each runway designation number shall be supplemented by a letter as follows, in the order above shown from left to right when viewed from the direction of approach:

-- for two parallel runways: "L" "R";

-- for three parallel runways: "L" "C" "R";

-- for four parallel runways: "L" "R" "L" "R";

-- for five parallel runways: "L" "C" "R" "L" "R" or "L" "R" "L" "C" "R"; and

-- for six parallel runways: "L" "C" "R" "L" "C" "R"

Ok... now, in SZB, Runway 33 having mag heading 329deg... make sense

ie nearest the one-tenth of the magnetic North , and likewise reciprocal heading of Runway 15, ie 149 deg.

BUT in KUL, Runway 32L or 32R having mag heading of 326 (or 327.. whatever)

Don't this mean that the marking should be 33, since nearest the one-tenth of the magnetic North huh.gif blink.gif

--

Sign in to follow this