MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Lisbon-Portugal memories

As you can see by my signature, I visited Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, courtesy of free tickets (exchange of Top Bonus miles) last weekend.

Weather was not cooperative, in fact, was the worst I've seen in years with heavy rains, strong winds but mild temperatues (23-25 C).

So....I was confined to my hotel room (with airport view) at the SAS Radisson (not a punishment at all) and can only show you 4 pictures of this wet weekend :sorry:

LIS airport is one of the worst I've experienced as a spotter: no viewing-deck and the gate areas have not even windows and everything feels like a prison :angry:

Here are the few shots I was able to take and share with you:

Airport overview from my room: a SATA Airbus 310, a TAP Airbus 340 and a Gulfstream 5 can be seen here as well as the threshold of runway 03 (look at the dull weather; the windows were dirty, so excuse the blurred quality):

IPB Image

Due to the slow climbing rate of the A340, I was able to shoot these two, after take-off from runway 21; which colour-scheme do you prefer ? :huh: :

IPB Image

IPB Image

The last shot was taken from my seat 4A/Niki A320; the windows showed lots of raindrops, so excuse the bad quality again; TAAG is quite a rare airline in Western-Europe:

IPB Image

Hope, you've enjoyed these pictures nevertheless ;)

Nice pictures Pieter :clapping: :drinks: !!!! now it feels that the airport does not even have an aerobridge and the gates (like you said) feels likes a jail. So now, no one should use Lisbon International Airport because of the poor "entertainment" :o :mellow: :angry: .

Nice pictures there Pieter..

Certainly prefer the New Colour Scheme on the A340 and Nice catch of Angola's sole 743.. :good:

Nice pictures there Pieter..

Certainly prefer the New Colour Scheme on the A340 and Nice catch of Angola's sole 743.. :good:

Are you sure Angola Airlines has the sole remaining 743 (D2-TEB) in its fleet?

Are you sure Angola Airlines has the sole remaining 743 (D2-TEB) in its fleet?

Oops my bad there..They actualy have 2 743. The other Being D2-TEA.

Thanks for Pointing out my Mistake Andrew..

Edited by Raj

Definitely prefer the new livery of TAP, Pieter ;)

Bad weather, but the pics were taken using your trustworthy DSLR, I believe? Now that gives me another reason to upgrade to DSLR!! :p

Bad weather, but the pics were taken using your trustworthy DSLR, I believe? Now that gives me another reason to upgrade to DSLR!! :p

Yeah, can highly recommend the camera I use: a Nikon D50 - just love that camera especially considering the price :good:

Yeah, can highly recommend the camera I use: a Nikon D50 - just love that camera especially considering the price :good:

me too... go D50 go :p

Thanks for sharing sir .. :drinks:

If you asked me, spotting during bad weather is ok once in a while .. :D

Different perspective one might say .. :p

Thanks for sharing sir .. :drinks:

If you asked me, spotting during bad weather is ok once in a while .. :D

Different perspective one might say .. :p

Agreed. Bad weather is somewhat disappointing. But if you continue "shooting", then by the end of the day you'll find surprises in quite a few shots! Special effects.. :D

More TAP news:

Boosted by Star membership, TAP targets intercontinental growth:

Monday November 13, 2006

TAP Portugal CEO Fernando Pinto said membership in the Star Alliance, which the carrier joined in spring 2005, has expanded its reach greatly through the networks of its partner airlines, boosting its appeal in the marketplace.

He also told ATWOnline last week in Lisbon that TAP "has grown very fast in the last five years, around 50% in terms of passenger kilometers."

TAP now is looking to expand its intercontinental services. It currently operates four A340-300s, three A330-200s and five A310-300s and is looking to add long-haul aircraft. "We have a further five A330s on order to replace the A310s by 2008. But we are looking at three or four additional widebodies for our short-time planning within the next two to three years," Pinto said.

The carrier will add cities to its long-haul network but not new countries, Pinto revealed. It operates 47 weekly flights to six destinations in Brazil, including six frequencies from its Porto hub. One or two additional Brazilian cities could be added. He said that important routes to Africa are scheduled to be upgraded with new frequencies but there are no plans to create a regional hub on the continent.

An increase in long-haul frequencies will require more feed, and Pinto said additional A320s may be added but that discussions over such a move are very preliminary.

A full-year profit still is expected thanks in part to a recent decline in fuel prices and the introduction of more fuel-efficient A330s. TAP expects passenger numbers to grow 15% over 2005's 6.5 million. Pinto also said the airline will prepare for privatization over the next two years.

Guess how many 340's/330's I saw during that rain soaked weekend ? :huh: :lol:

Glad to hear, you liked them, Felipe: they're almost 2 years old !!! :blink: :pardon:

Glad to hear, you liked them, Felipe: they're almost 2 years old !!! :blink: :pardon:

Now is quite different!

Sata has a new livery, and the TAPs are all in the new livery, TAAG flies with a leased 747-400, Lisbon is one of the three cities worldwide that receives regular flights with a South African 747, a lot more traffic, ...