MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

What Is Your Favorite Airport?

I couldn't agree with you more. I've used KLIA (MTB + SB) many times, and I have never had problems with the signages and difficulties finding gates. But I do think the design of the Satellite building isn't the best...and could be much better. First of all, you can't really see aircrafts parked at the building from the Anjung Tinjau...not spotter friendly. The + design also minimize space for more stores...and the stores on the 1st floor are not very passenger friendly as well.

I appreciate the fact that the management is working on improving the shopping areas in the Satellite building..hopefully for the better. The refurbishment of the Sky Emporium in the MTB looks great to me. Adds a lot more character to the terminal.

Some things though I would like to see at KLIA. Stores at the International Departure area in the MTB (i.e. Gates G & H)....that place looks really dry.

A rest area, where there are lots of sofas to sit and relax...and with LCD screen TV's all over the place, showing different programs (sports, news, documentary)....ala Changi T2 I guess...

Signage in Malaysia is means for people who know. Most strangers or first timers will be lost or confused.

As many of the duty free shops are operate by MAB; MAB would prefer to convert rest area into café, restaurants and shops or replacing tenants with their subsidiary (in the name of upgrading) to increase revenue rather than making transit pax more comfortable. When pax is too comfortable at rest area, they will spend less time and money at MAB outlets.

Because of the distance from satellite terminal, doubt they can improve much on the average time of 35 minutes to retrieve luggage. It was 40 minutes before the recent upgrading

:drinks:

..... The refurbishment of the Sky Emporium in the MTB looks great to me. Adds a lot more character to the terminal.

Some things though I would like to see at KLIA. Stores at the International Departure area in the MTB (i.e. Gates G & H)....that place looks really dry .....

My guess is the Sky Emporium is sited where it is now to maximize on customer flow - you have to pass through the area if travelling domestic, departures and arrivals ! Plus, with MTB as quiet as it is nowadays, there may not be sufficient customers to sustain operating separate (albeit smaller) outlets along both piers, even where space constraints permit.

It is I suppose a necessary compromise - I am a bit put off at times by persistent 'hawking' by overzealous promoters on both sides of the corridor, but then just personal preference.

Manchester- coz it's my home town airport and i just love the videos i have seen from there

Changi (Singapore)- been to this airport so many of time, just one fantastic airport

Perth- i am currently living at Perth

Edited by Ash777

If you choose GVA, you've not been to ZRH yet, IMHO :blink:

I've departed/landed in GVA 7 times, ZRH 4 times, BSL 1 time.

I still prefer the simplicity of GVA any day :)

Overall best is SIN. Yes it can get busy but the new terminal should take care of that.

KUL has a very relaxing ambiance, helped by it being quiet. The aero train is fine now tha the extra car has been added

What bugs me about is the place is:

lack of decent shopping and F&B

Most check in counters closed now - hence big queues

Immigration queues owing to closed counters, esp. when a Thai or Indon flight arrives/departs. One Sunday I queued for over 30 mins and had to jump the queue or I would have missed my flight. Most of the people seemed in shock that I did it hover its common in Europe. I will not miss a flight because of a queue.

There seems to be so many shopping/competition etc outlets placed all over the place, obscuring the signs and screens.

They have free WiFI now a few PC's - the WiFi is slow with poor coverage and the few internet PC are often broken.

Can somebody tell me who decided KLIA is the worlds best airport?

The building design does not really allow for much retail + F&B space - very poorly designed.

Some others are:

AMS is pretty good

OSL is nice

LHR - agree with the comments but T3 is better now that the new piers are built. They have a master place to rebuild T1-3 so lets hope they do it. T5 looks pretty good

PRG - awful, nothing to do

MNL - not good

JFK BA terminal back in '99 - awful - very few places to eat

CDG - T1 the worst international

VTE - domestic - awful

Asia: Dubai (rude staff)

To fully appreciate DXB..u have to know how to deal with arabs :D

Some others are:

AMS is pretty good

OSL is nice

LHR - agree with the comments but T3 is better now that the new piers are built. They have a master place to rebuild T1-3 so lets hope they do it. T5 looks pretty good

PRG - awful, nothing to do

MNL - not good

JFK BA terminal back in '99 - awful - very few places to eat

CDG - T1 the worst international

VTE - domestic - awful

Will be flying into OSL for the first time this winter. Shall see how it is.

As for Paris CDG T1, it is downright horrible and somewhat embarrassing for an international airport of a world city, but everytime I land there, I forget all the horrors as I know I am just a couple of hours from seeing the greatest city in the world!

Welcome to MW, petitvagabond,

As per MW rules, please, advise the Administrator of your real-name; he will gladly change accordingly ;)

Enjoy your stay here,

Cheers,

Pieter - moderator...

In addition, staff are rather rude, and nonchalant, I wonder how they want to catch up with SIN with an attitude like that.

Have to agree with that. It's a sharp contrast to the staff of MAS.

Ground staff in KLIA have always had that little lack of professionalism.. but of course there are those that provide fantastic service.

Rudeness, abruptness & poor english skills are often compunded by their lack of knowledge when you ask a question...

But I don't blame them, I blame the training they receive... poor mentality by management perhaps...

Inspired by the latest World Airport Awards (2011), I thought it'd be fun to start this thread.

Name your favourite airport. You can add a little description to justify your pick.

Here's my entry: Changi Int'l Airport (Singapore)

Reason: No reason why it shouldn't be. Huge variety in terms of dining and shopping. Entertainment wise, you'll never go bored. There's just so much to do, wouldn't even worry about waiting 5-6 hours on transit for my next flight.

My pick: Changi International Airport.

Efficient and friendly services, wide variety of food outlets, non-stop shopping and entertainment and top notch amenities. 'nuf said. :yahoo: :yahoo:

KUL / WMKK. The approach is always challenging.

Tough for me to say (and to admit:() but it is Changi.. Fantastic airport.

KLIA is also not bad at all but the problem is that Changi is just down south :D

I also like London Heathrow Terminal 5.. Most beautiful terminal I've seen especially to see the planes.

In the US I rather like Charlotte and Atlanta because the food options are aplenty. LAX is not so convenient and literally nothing is there (almost same as EWR) while ORD is very hectic and always causes delays during the colder months.

For variety of traffic, Subang...but brilliance in design, Changi.

The worst, Perth. A lack of foresight by the operators has meant we have suffered "bandaid" fix after bandaid fix, yet is still lacking in so many ways. To put it into perspective, when the International Terminal (now known as Terminal 1) opened in the mid '80s it had 5 aerobridges. Now over 15yrs on and massive increases in traffic (such as SQ from 3 per week, to 3 per day!) it still has only 5 bridges!

The worst, Perth. A lack of foresight by the operators has meant we have suffered "bandaid" fix after bandaid fix, yet is still lacking in so many ways. To put it into perspective, when the International Terminal (now known as Terminal 1) opened in the mid '80s it had 5 aerobridges. Now over 15yrs on and massive increases in traffic (such as SQ from 3 per week, to 3 per day!) it still has only 5 bridges!

I'm assuming during peak hours, passengers are ferried to the terminal in buses? Oh dear..

Great analysis as usual, MAR.

May I ask what did you use to draw the map?

Edited by jani

I choose Changi. Spent 1 night there while waiting for my flight back to BKI last May. No problem at all, except there is not enough room at the Transit Hotel. Some guys got together to watch UEFA Champions League final at 3.00am! Better than HKIA.

From pilot's perspective - Dommodedovo - Moscow DME/UUDD, New York JFK/KJFK and San Francisco SFO/KSFO.

- Multiple radio freq change - not less than 10 times, almost every 1000ft during climb and descend (gnd to 15000ft - vice versa) {DME}.

- Metric to feet plus QFE to QNH conversion - different procedure altogether below and above transition level (DME).

- Language barrier, only standard ICAO RT phraseology (DME)

- Multiple approaches on multiple runways (SFO/JFK).

- Mix traffics - VFR/IFR, light, med, heavies (JFK).

- They keep you 'Slow and high' for the approach (SFO).

- TCAS TA is normal but RA is occasional (SFO).

- Overall - very challenging.

From pax's perspective - Paris CDG/LFPG, Amsterdam AMS/EHAM and Las Vegas LAS/KLAS

- Airport authorities - CDG is the most laid back, both customs and immigration.

- AMS has got almost everything in the terminal (airside).

- Slot machines are everywhere in LAS, even in the toilet. Fun place to be and very synonym with the identity of the city itself.

:hi:

Sign in to follow this