MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Andrew Ong

Should Malaysia consider on cancelling the A380 orders?

Should Malaysia consider on cancelling the A380 orders?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should Malaysia consider on cancelling the A380 orders?

• Yes
    • No

Because of the A380 delays, should MAS think of cancelling the orders for the A380?

By all means, do so. Yes of course MH can sit on it and collect compensation, but the hidden cost of unclaimable revenue due delayed schedule and operations will add up to be more costly than expected!

And after all, the BTP says MH is after smaller and densely configured aircraft (for its network). A380 is not small and if MH configures it with dense seating, it'll lose competitive advantage to SQ right away. No point hanging on to the product just because its new. Solve your own problem first and at the same time observe how others perform with the new product, THEN decide whether you want it or not.

I say yes.

I'd say Yes too. A380 is totally an anchor holding the company down. Plus I dun think A380 is suitable for MAS. Better go for 773ER, 748 or the likes. If the plane is too big, doubt they can fill it up full everytime they fly.

OK, looks like the vote is a tie.

So what would it be

This

IPB Image

Or this

IPB Image

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

NO, because MH needs cash... yes really...

I had a meeting with the CFO of an Airline which has ordered the A380 (we do financial guarantees for them), and they also had to decide what to do. Cancellation is ok, but better to hold on to the order because:

1) compensation payment

2) this airline knew that they didn't really need the 380 so soon, but ordered anyway because of the discounts they receive for being one of the early customers. Now the situation is perfect, they like the delay, but of course they complain like hell to EADS (see point no.1)

3) As a previous launch customer for another aircraft from a certain very large European manufacturer, they knew that there will always be teething problems which will get sorted out once the aircraft has flown for a couple of years. This is also a consideration for no.2 above...

4) This gives them more time to design/layout their cabin, and also their lounges (for the extra premium pax)

5) Showing loyalty to airbus means that boeing will not stop offering discounts...

6) and halfway through the delay, if Airbus does not give compensation, then let the info leak that you are talking to Boeing about some 748 because you "cannot rely" on Airbus... If Airbus does give compensation,cash is a good thing. Then if you decide that you don't need the 380 after all, you can always lease it out or sell it off for the original price you paid - assuming that because you are one of the earlier customers, airbus will be happy to give yours away to other customers who are waiting, and you still keep the cash compensation...

This is what I heard from an "insider".... business-wise, it makes sense, but personally, I just think that the 380 is so ugly....

:good: I like them...

2) this airline knew that they didn't really need the 380 so soon, but ordered anyway because of the discounts they receive for being one of the early customers. Now the situation is perfect, they like the delay, but of course they complain like hell to EADS (see point no.1)

5) Showing loyalty to airbus means that boeing will not stop offering discounts...

6) and halfway through the delay, if Airbus does not give compensation, then let the info leak that you are talking to Boeing about some 748 because you "cannot rely" on Airbus... If Airbus does give compensation,cash is a good thing. Then if you decide that you don't need the 380 after all, you can always lease it out or sell it off for the original price you paid - assuming that because you are one of the earlier customers, airbus will be happy to give yours away to other customers who are waiting, and you still keep the cash compensation...

Interesting enough, that's what some QF guy said about having fleet of Airbus and Boeing in the airline - partly as a negotiation tool. B)

My answer is yes.Cancel the A380 order,or change the order to A340 instead,or why not going forward for the 747-8? Maybe the 747-8 is the best replacement for the 'ageing' 747-400 fleet.

I voted yes. As i think MH should focus on how to improve their 'getting worse' service. Instead of using the extra bucks they have in the bank buying the 380, they better off buying new 737NG and 333 (new improved version) to replace their ageing 734 & 333 (old generation) and install PTV with AVOD into all seats on all new aircraft.

Change the order to A350-900..

Or, go for 773ER

Edited by Mohd Idham

Change the order to A350-900..

Is the model flying already ?

If not, maybe not a very bright idea.

Reason ? This 380 fiasco has mopped up so much of Airbus and EADS resources, both financial and technical, and likely to sponge up quite considerably more just so to clear the present hurdles. What is then left to move other projects along ? Remember, it has been quoted that even the A350 is in danger of being ditched

Just heard the news today that the all-airbus operator, Qatar Airways is going for 40 B777-300ER :blink:

Just heard the news today that the all-airbus operator, Qatar Airways is going for 40 B777-300ER :blink:

Wow,what an suprise to hear this news.Guess it's a blow for Airbus,and also boost for Boeing.

Let's hope we see some of those 773ERs in KUL ahead of the AB6s! Or even some A330s... have they ever sent an A330 down our way? and what happened to launching flights to Australia... with the new Suvarnabhumi looking already a bit full, and Changi being the hub for a certain other mid-east carrier, perhaps KUL would be attractive to QR now?

And yes, MH, cancel the A380 orders and shift the order to the narrow body fleet.. negotiate for stealaway A320 prices or go (with my preference for this choice) with the Boeing 737NG family!

Let's hope we see some of those 773ERs in KUL ahead of the AB6s! Or even some A330s... have they ever sent an A330 down our way? and what happened to launching flights to Australia... with the new Suvarnabhumi looking already a bit full, and Changi being the hub for a certain other mid-east carrier, perhaps KUL would be attractive to QR now?

And yes, MH, cancel the A380 orders and shift the order to the narrow body fleet.. negotiate for stealaway A320 prices or go (with my preference for this choice) with the Boeing 737NG family!

somehow agree with that. I do see QR sent in the A300 and A319 (sometimes). I somehow choose the 737NG if they want to replace the 734. ERJ-195 is also good, or maybe make it half-half.

somehow agree with that. I do see QR sent in the A300 and A319 (sometimes). I somehow choose the 737NG if they want to replace the 734. ERJ-195 is also good, or maybe make it half-half.

too costly to have too many types of airliners in the fleet. keep it to one family. B737NG has the range and the reputation.. plus today's models are much more tech-savvy.. what with HUD and all... :) hehehe not saying that these areabsolutely necessary (as they'd probably contribute more toward maintenance), but the option is there.

Let's hope we see some of those 773ERs in KUL ahead of the AB6s! Or even some A330s... have they ever sent an A330 down our way?

No. Never before. QR said KUL will be one of their first destinations to get the 332 since year 2002 but it's year 2006 now and they still use the AB6 to KUL. Even SIN, which was launch about a year after KUL, already get the QR 332/333 for quite sometimes now :( :angry:

and what happened to launching flights to Australia...

Their first destination in Australia will be MEL, going via BKK. The Australian authority granted them 6x weekly flight only and QF wants daily flight. That's why QR keep deffering the launch date to MEL and it's on hold indefinately now. I still wonder how is it possible EK can have so many flights a day to Australia. Is there an open skies agreement between EK and the government of Australia ?

with the new Suvarnabhumi looking already a bit full, and Changi being the hub for a certain other mid-east carrier, perhaps KUL would be attractive to QR now?

Suvarnabhumi is full, but there are still lots of room for more flights (i mean the O&D traffic is huge). SIN is EK hub in Southeast Asia for flights to Australia and since QR said their first flight to Australia will go via BKK, i have no doubt that QR will make BKK as their hub in Southeast Asia to Australia. We can only count on EY, Well, i think EY is probably the best between these 3 middle-east mega carriers :p :P

Edited by Isaac

We can only count on EY, Well, i think EY is probably the best between these 3 middle-east mega carriers :p :P

hmmm, but EY are the only carrier playing marbles on flying to KL.. they already fly to Jakarta with 773ER equipment...

There must be something really off-putting about KLIA to all foreign airlines.... but what?

..i doubt total cancellation is possible.. though pushing delivery date further back wud be the most likely scenario as too much tech /trade transfers or benefits have been taken in by us already...eg industrial setup in Malacca n Kedah on wing component manufacturing...n much more :help:

Keep the order, and Airbus will have to pay compensation for delay.

Cancel the order, and pay compensation to Airbus.

So what is your smart choice?

Keep the order, and Airbus will have to pay compensation for delay.

Cancel the order, and pay compensation to Airbus.

So what is your smart choice?

Hmm....No wonder MAS decided to keep the order.Thanks for the clarification,Captain.