MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sanjay Thaker

Aircraft Fuel Consumption

Hey guys, i was juz doing a little research for myself to roughly estimate the cost of fuel to airlines. I would like to know if anyone could roughly give me an approximation of the amount of fuel burnt on MH's B734 and AK's A320....someone like Capt Radzi or anyone else with knowledge on this matter would be helpful..thanx guys!

Not quite what you asked for, but just had to arrange 3500 kgs for a 2.5 hours flight for the Fokker 50 :pardon:

Something close to that figure. But remember that it is just fuel burnoff, not MSF. MSF includes A-B fuel, some padding, B-C fuel (to go to alternate) + at least 30 mins holding over the alternate.

Over 2 tonnes of fuel for short flights.......................how much they cost.................that's like a lot of fuel, no wonder we running out of oil :pardon:

Over 2 tonnes of fuel for short flights.......................how much they cost.................that's like a lot of fuel, no wonder we running out of oil :pardon:

Cost will be something in the proximity of USD60 per US barrel?

1 barrel is about 159 litres.

Approx 1.3 litres in 1 kg of aviation fuel (see http://www.eppo.go.th/ref/UNIT-OIL.html). So, 1 barrel is roughly 122kg.

Therefore, sum is USD1140 for 2400kg. Since 2400kg is fuel burnt per hour, multiply USD1140 by flight time for fuel cost. :excl: But as Radzi said, this does not include reserve etc.

Which is why they are studying on using synthetic aviation fuel by 2010 (supported by IATA). Don't know how successful that'll be. But if it saves money and doesn't pollute the air much more than current fuel, why not?

Sign in to follow this