MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Michael

Economy Class Menus

Guest Michael

I hear these menus are now accessed electronically on board, is this true or not?

I hear these menus are now accessed electronically on board, is this true or not?

There is nothing much to look forward to MH EY class menus. Better to fill your stomach before boarding or after landing.

Edited by KK Lee

Let's hope the situation improves with this then shall we?

Regards,

Mike

Improve? Meals on MH KUL/SYD and KUL/MEL vv have been downgraded compared with last year.

MH biz class from TPE-KUL don't even have menu :( Menu electronically doesn't seems to be that classy..........well, nowadays whatever cut cost, it will do ;)

Guest Fendy

really? the last times i flew in biz they always head menus, including KUL-TPE-LAX.

in fact, the updated biz class has TWO menus, meal menu and drink menu. previously only F had both menus.

Yes the menu for EY class have been display in the IFE. Once they are serving the pax they will list down 2 option on the display with white words on the display and the background will be the the show that individual watching.

For pax point of view I would say it is not classy already compare to giving out menu in the form of paper. And another point is that pax will lose out and advantage to the airlines. Why? my company view explain.

For company point of view they will save 2 types of cost. First, they can save cost on printing the menus and distribute to the pax. Second view which relate to pax is that once there is no menu people will not order anything. This is because people don't know they are entitle to what type of foods or drink that have been provide to them. Example, many people didn't notice that for there is alot of type of drink can be order and also pax can get some snacks during the flight. Like cocktail, liquor, bear and so on. So here airline can save more because they need not serve more to the pax.

Been silent didn't mean they didn't provide thay type of service, it is just that pax didn't order and they didn't anounce they have so they can save more again.

For company point of view they will save 2 types of cost. First, they can save cost on printing the menus and distribute to the pax. Second view which relate to pax is that once there is no menu people will not order anything. This is because people don't know they are entitle to what type of foods or drink that have been provide to them. Example, many people didn't notice that for there is alot of type of drink can be order and also pax can get some snacks during the flight. Like cocktail, liquor, bear and so on. So here airline can save more because they need not serve more to the pax.

For regular flyiers, they know they can get beverages upon request inflight..................actually airlines do bring all this food onboard and they let the pax know that they can get drinks or snack anytime.......all the rest which untouch will go to the trash anyway, so why waste by not telling the pax?????? How the airlines can save more? they have to bring along all the stuff, they can't risk to run out of drinks etc. inflight. During my CO flight to Canada, the flight bring 2:3(pax/food) ratio of food for paxs' convinience to choose either ham or chicken, the rest will go to the pax who want more :good: or crews who love airline food :pardon:

really? the last times i flew in biz they always head menus, including KUL-TPE-LAX.

in fact, the updated biz class has TWO menus, meal menu and drink menu. previously only F had both menus.

Yupp, no menu whatsoever....................sad isn't it :angry:

During KUL-TPE-LAX few years ago, I did get menu but back then I don't care about menu :p

During the TPE-KUL last summer, the biz cabin already in mess, saw some previous menu on the floor, the pillow, blanket not in order, magazine was gone and the seat is dirty due to the previous pax who don't know how to eat properly. Bad experience on MH that day, will have a hard to use MH short haul next time :(

Edited by Seth K

I've just got back this evening from LHR on MH1

The outward trip had a very basic menu displayed on the screens from time to time however the trip today didnt display anything.

IMHO MAS should have a proper menu display on the IFE system rather then some white letters that appear from time to time.

KLM still provide a 'paper' menu in C-class; this is how the BKK-AMS stretch looked like in June when I returned home from MW's 1st Anniversary (just to give you an idea; schedule basically 11pm-06am):

WELCOME

Dear Passenger,

Talented and passionate are the words that best describe a group of young, ambitious chefs who have joined forces in Jeunes Restaurateurs d'Europe. Together, they rank among the leaders of Europe's finest cuisine. KLM and Jeunes Restaurateurs d'Europe have now launched a creative alliance. In it, four chefs from top restaurants have been commissioned to create the hors d'oeuvre and three main dishes for World Business Class.

On this flight signature recipes from the Hoog Holten Restaurant in Holten will be served. We think you will be very pleasantly surprised by the gastronomic creations of Head Chef, Mike Klein Gebbink.

We hope you enjoy this flight and the culinary experience we have in store !

Cooking is a passion. A lifetime hobby. It starts with searching for the ingredients and inspiration required to create innovative dishes. At KLM, preparing and serving meals is part of our daily activities. Thousands of passengers, including you, justifiably expect meals at the highest quality level. KLM goes the extra mile to live up to your expectations having top international chefs taste and advise us on our cuisine. For us cookery is still a pursuit of the heart. Every day anew. We hope that you will be able to taste our passion for cooking in the meals seved aboard KLM flights. And we naturally hope that you enjoy your meal.

Bon appetit.

Shortly after take-off we will be serving an aperitif with a garnish.

SUPPER

for passengers who want to sleep and prefer a quick meal, we will be serving a cold tray.

HORD D'OEUVRE

Thai-style seafood salad. Prawn scallop and squid in a red chilli, lime juice and fish sauce.

Passengers who prefer a more extensive meal can choose from two additional hot dishes.

HOT SUPPER DISHES

Massaman-style beef curry. Served with steamed jasmine rice and mixed vegetables

or

Pork and vegetable rigatoni. Rigatoni with sliced pork and vegetables in a courgette and tomato cream sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese.

Your choice of freshly brewed coffee or teas - served with luxury chocolates.

IN BETWEEN SERVICE

For your comfort and convenience, bottles of mineral water will be distributed after your meal.

SKY BREAK

You are also most welcome to visit our galley during your flight where a selection of snacks and drinks will be available.

SNACKS

At any time during the flight an assortment of snacks is available upon your request.

BREAKFAST A LA CARTE

Please do not forget to fill out your breakfast choices on your a la carte breakfast card.

HOT BREAKFAST DISHES TODAY:

Savoury dish: Omelette served with grilled bacon and tomato garnished with fresh parsley.

or

Sweet dish: Crepes filled with honey accompanied by poached fruits.

WINELIST:

Riesling trocken 2005 - Sybille Kuntz

Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc 205 - Constantia, South Africa

Bourgogne Nicolas Potel 2004 - Burgundy

Chateau Carignan Prima 2001 - Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux

Raimat Tempranillo Syrah 2003 - Costers del Segre, Spain

Champagne - Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut

Port - Taylor's 2000 - late bottled vintage Port

Dessert Wine - Chateau de la Peyrade - Muscat de Frontignan

Guess what I had ;) :yahoo: :lol:

MAS' decision to drop paper menus citing weight reasons was, in my opinion, was just plain nonsense. They might as well cite savings in printing and design costs which is more believable and understandable (I believe MAS outsource menu designs to ad agencies based on a sample I got from the web).

But then their other paper items like brochures appear luxurious and expensively produced, much more than the menus they usually provide. For example at one time MAS GB had saperate catalogs for Airbus A330 and Boeing B747 / B777 routes, with minimal differences in items available for sale in sectors served by the different aircraft types. I think producing two different catalogs to serve different markets when items are just about the same is not cost effective.

Menus can excite the appetite, especially when one is left with no choice but eat airline meals during flights. In the example Pieter has posted, look at the play of words that describes the items available throughout the journey. Just reading them can make people hungry and look forward to meal service. This is much more presentable than just plain text on the screen. The least MAS can do now is to also show pictures of menu items that can incite the palate and allow passengers make their choice.

By the way some airlines have had Flying Chef, advanced meal orders for premium class etc. Perhaps MAS can improve on their meal service with something like this to enhance its 5 star status.

Guest Michael

Next year, maybe things will change for the better I think, MAS will improve as profits go up, not just in regards to menus and food, but in other areas. Let us remember that Idris wants to stir competition up.

Next year, maybe things will change for the better I think, MAS will improve as profits go up, not just in regards to menus and food, but in other areas. Let us remember that Idris wants to stir competition up.

Michael, how are you?

Just flew MH0126 on Sunday night/Monday morning. Food was ridiculously untasty.. Chicken with cous cous.. chicken looked like it had been dead for over a year.. the vegetables were over cooked.. This is what happens when you stinge on product for achieving better costs when sub-contracting catering to a relatively unknown caterer in Perth (Alpha Catering), and you don't maintain QC on the food that is literally being "churned" out by this kitchen.. No discredit to Alpha, i'm sure they can cook well, and would do so if they got a bit more "dough" from MAS..

MAS should be rational and categorise certain costs as "pure costs" and "Value-added costs".. there is a need to distinguish this first. only when this is achieved, will MAS start to really turn around and make even more profits.

Rule of thumb in the airline business from many sources: Marketing + Product + Operational Efficiency = Cost. Now imagine minimising costs and think of where in that equation you would maximise and minimise expenditure to better yourself. It's a fine line, but then again it's a bloody tight industry, mate.

In regards to stirring the competition up.. the competition ain't worried about MAS... it's MAS that is worried and being stirred by the competition. Again, and unfortunate situation, but in reality, it could really work to MH's benefit.

Guest Michael

I am flying to K.L. on Saturday so I hope the food is good for my trip on that day.

I am flying to K.L. on Saturday so I hope the food is good for my trip on that day.

hahaha, make your calls to the caterer and the airline now to make sure the meal will be good mate. Have a nice flight! :)

This is just one classic example of how MH always reacts to cost cutting. As always the first target is the product that is delivered to pax. MH must realise they need to improve the product not reduce or downgrade while the rivals are always upgrading. How to you improve your yield, if you product is no match to the others? The product should be the last thing to be cut or reduced. MH will not win anymore for best EY. Meals are now served in foils instead of the caserole. Lower quality and smaller quantity in food. No menus. Inflexible baggage allowance. The EY on MH product is now more like EY on US airlines rather what you get on SQ, CX, TG, EK.....which are their main competition. Their only saving grace is the crew.

They should change the way they operate and be more efficient to cut cost not cut service! As I use to say when I was working at MH, everytime there is a management change at MH, different circus, same clowns.

They should change the way they operate and be more efficient to cut cost not cut service!

Hooray !!! well said... :good:

They should change the way they operate and be more efficient to cut cost not cut service! As I use to say when I was working at MH, everytime there is a management change at MH, different circus, same clowns.

A fairly commentaries, agree with the ideas, but any idea how to be more efficient to cut the cost and remain the world class service. One I can think of is get the politicians off MAS :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this