MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Captain speaking: Jet's not safe

Must be the ultimate 'I QUIT!' statement. :D

Captain speaking: Jet's not safe

By JOHN COLE

September 23, 2006

A PILOT struck terror into British tourists by telling them: “I’m resigning. This plane is not safe.”

He then marched OFF the jet, leaving 180 passengers stranded on the runway.

The tourists had been waiting to take off when they say they heard a strange noise from an engine on the Airbus A321.

The captain then announced: “I am resigning from my job. Do not fly with this plane. It is not safe. Do not fly with Onur Air.”

The holidaymakers were stuck on the jet in stifling 100°F heat before being eventually told to go back to the terminal at Antalya, Turkey.

Most waited two hours for a replacement flight.

But 20 were so frightened they refused to board a replacement flight to Bristol and had to find their own way home.

Jade Barrett, 22, of Falmouth, Cornwall, said: “Everyone was terrified. Some people were crying and almost screaming.

“We were three hours late landing. We have written to the tour company asking for compensation for what we went through. Our luggage was unloaded and just left on the runway.”

Her frightened pal Rachael Fisher, 21, suffered an asthma attack that was so severe that stewards gave her oxygen.

UK company Goldtrail, which chartered the aircraft from Turkey’s Onur Air, apologised but is refusing to pay compensation.

It said the German pilot was serving his notice from the airline and had “exaggerated” the problem with the plane.

Goldtrail spokesman Rebecca Copeland said: “It was a small technical problem. It was not a major fault as the aircraft is still flying."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440311,00.html

Bad publicity for Onur Air, whether it's a valid point or not; think he had a grudge against (someone in) the airline and looked for publicity this way...

The company is still flying into the Netherlands, so it won't be that bad :mellow:

Poor pax, stranded on the runway............ :rofl:

Really the pilot left them on the runway>>>>>> :blink:

The captain should responsible for this mess, he just having a bad dau and tired of flying that's it!!!

Not the best way to leave a company but it's better that way than to be sorry later on.

I think the relevant authority should audit the maintanace department bcoz the accusation is very serious and might cost people's lives.

The capt need to be heard...

and get feedback from all the pilots as well. B)

The captain then announced: “I am resigning from my job. Do not fly with this plane. It is not safe. Do not fly with Onur Air.”

Reminds me of the story of the driver to the wife of a well-known Malaysian corporate figure. He was so fed-up with the nagging madam that when he stopped her Merc limo at a busy KL junction (the lights were red), he stepped out, shouted "I QUIT!" to the madam, and flung the car keys into the bush. He walked away and was never seen again. :huh:

Unresponsible captain !!!!! :angry:

If it is really unsafe aircraft and the airline is trying to cover it up, would you say the same? What if the aircraft crashed somewhere in flight?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

If it is really unsafe aircraft and the airline is trying to cover it up, would you say the same? What if the aircraft crashed somewhere in flight?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Captain don be Angry!!!!! :db: I just say what I feel only!!!! :D

Unresponsible captain !!!!! :angry:

firstly, its IRresponsible..and secondly..i agree with Capt. Radzi....pilots should decide not to fly if they find their aircraft being unsafe. I know of a MH A330 pilot who did that once..

firstly, its IRresponsible..and secondly..i agree with Capt. Radzi....pilots should decide not to fly if they find their aircraft being unsafe. I know of a MH A330 pilot who did that once..

Well, if you say pilot who decide not to fly when the aircraft is not safe is common, I think. But did the A330 pilot left the airliner on the runway?

I think Onur Air will be very embarrassed on what had happened. Plus I don't get it on why the captain want to resign his job on the runway and there must be a reason why he wants to resign :o :angry: . This just doesn't make sense :huh: .

Edited by Andrew Ong

Sign in to follow this