MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ewan Shamsudin

AK baby-B's in MTB

Once upon a time there were no worries of walking down on the tarmac in the rain at KLIA. Those were the things people do at very, very small airports. So I thought!

Let's share images from those better days when everyone went to the 'same' airport to catch their flights.

Let's get posted.

:blink: Patiently waiting for Norman to move my posts, which were in the wrong thread, here. :blink:

Thanks!

---

Once upon a time, everyone went to the 'same' KLIA to catch their flights, frills or no frills.

Nowadays it's - to quote my friend - "KLIA yang original ke, LCCT?"

IPB Image

Alpha-Alpha-Foxtrot at Gate A3, 10/12/04 refueling before flying to KBR.

IPB Image

The same Alpha-Alpha-Foxtrot. Ground crew taking a breather before pushback. Notice the tissue box on the errr.... dashboard(?).

Gotta love the eyebrows on this hardworking 737.

Also in the frame (though cropped) the rocky slippery scary rickety stairs. They don't have an international standard for that, do they?

My Nostradamus-que feeling is that a future major piece of news about AirAsia would be a pregnant passenger gets tripped and falls down the stairs in the rain. Only then, yes, only then would Uncle Tony withdraw some money from the bank and order sturdier ones with fibreglass (or 'zinc' sheets) roofs.

---

From the Anjung Tinjau from my oh-that's-so-unadventurous 'spotting'.

The memory of AK baby B's occupying the A gates at MTB.

IPB Image.

Yup... shot through the glass. Not an A.net material, for sure :p

Love to see the fast, hardworking ground crew trying to abide by the turnaround time.

IPB Image

If you can spot who's that big Momma on the far background, then you'd know when and why I was where I was. :p

--

For mere mortals like these guys and I, this is as near as we could get to see the Big Momma. :nea:

IPB Image

--

oh no, this is the closest my brother and I got to the A380.

Shot from outside the perimeter fence.

IPB Image

Thanks for viewing. I hope I'm on the right thread. Didn't want to start a new one cos, I'm new here... so still malu la.. heheheh ;)

nice set of old days pictures where the MTB is "busy" and the big momma! i wish i was there :good:

thanks for sharing ;)

i can see myself as one of those "mere mortals"..in fact im that 4th person from the left,sitting.. :p

What a coincidence. My brother and I drove all the way from Ulu Kelang to see the plane in its flesh.

Even with only 2/5 of your rear silhouette visible, you can still identify yourself. Memorable day, wasn't it?

Love the word usage, very touching :good:

Excellent shots ewan!!! I hv to say that AK looks great with Aerobridge attach :good:

I hv to agree that what a waste of peoples' money building a multi billion world class airport and waste another bunch of cash for another warehouse class airport. <_>

I hv to agree that what a waste of peoples' money building a multi billion world class airport and waste another bunch of cash for another warehouse class airport.

Even better said, Seth! I very much keep in my mind about the concept of low-cost flying and all, but after reaching LCCT from BKI for the first time earlier this year, I can't help but to feel like it was NOT KLIA at all: It was raining -> the uncovered steps down were slippery -> I was given a malfunctioned umbrella -> walked down a 'school corridor' -> stepped on a wet warehouse floor (It does have that strange 'warehouse' feel, doesn't it?).

When I hopped on the green Nilai-KLIA bus to MTB (read: the KLIA proper), I realized how I have lost touch with omnibus commuting -- the music's still loud, the bus inspector's still demanding for you to show your ticket for him to tear a little, the aircond vent's still dripping with condensation. And I wished the bus had seat-belts for passengers too!

Upon reaching MTB, as I entered the building, I was thankful that I finally reached KLIA and it was the year 2006! And during the whole KLIA Transit ride to Putrajaya, I felt somewhat relieved that the 'low-cost air travel' episode was over. I felt as if pleasant air travel experiences I have accustomed to had been taken way from me. What hurt me most was really the fact that the KLIA proper is already there, and we've been using it.

I had been happy to see how the airport had grown busier, especially at the domestic gates, with the growing AK's fleet occupying the west wing. But I guess now it's back to quiet. MAB would rather have it that way, it seems, rather than meeting AK's low-cost-everything demands.

OK I heard somebody saying "If you want comfort, fly MH la". Now, call me a snobbish penny-pincher, but quoting Seth: what a waste of peoples' money building a multi billion world class airport and waste another bunch of cash for another warehouse class airport. It proves that in order for Malaysians to enjoy anything 'world class' they have to prepare to part with a larger percentage of their per capita income. If they choose to be on the cheap, then it's cheap they will get.

'World class', convenience and comfort do not come as standard for average Malaysians after all. How they are steered to the 'backdoor' of KLIA, one of the country's symbols of Boleh-ness', is a very fine example.

True to AK's tagline, Now Everybody Can Fly, flying for Malaysians has become more affordable. You can fly for less than RM50 (most of it is tax + fuel surcharge) if you book a year ahead. But how you finally get yourself into the aircraft and what happens to you after you disembark is another story altogether.

Nonetheless AK seems happy now with its little corner there, next to Pos Malaysia warehouse. The last time I flew AK, it was a (very) early morning flight and I could see all the birds home in the nest and suddenly it occured to me that its family is indeed growing fast. All the 216 check-in counters and 22 gates at the Contact Pier do not seem to be able to accommodate them.

They do need a new home...

Yes you do, AirAsia's miniBuses and baby Boeings. But I still prefer you to pick us up at the Contact Pier, Main Terminal Building, KLIA - via aerobridges or remote stand!

They do need a new home...

Ewan, if you don't know already, the present LCCT is only temporary. A real LCCT will be built nearby (sorry no idea exactly where). The present LCCT will be turned to, yes a warehouse.

...the present LCCT is only temporary. A real LCCT will be built nearby (sorry no idea exactly where). The present LCCT will be turned to, yes a warehouse.

I heard that the actual site for the LCCT is the area next to the highway heading from the airport just before the Petronas Station. At that site the ERL line just needs to be extended to provide connections to the MTB and KL sentral.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS :drinks:

DSCF0221.JPG

Some pics of AK babies and the people around them.

Taken middle of this year.

IPB Image

'Red ants' boarding in the rain.

IPB Image

Work as usual, rain or shine.

IPB Image

Wouldn't like to be an AK passenger in these conditions; even though they hand-out umbrellas, you'll be soaked by the time you're on board :o :(

The raining bording picture reminded me of on one of my MH flight from KL to Ipoh few years back. The plane touched down in Ipoh and the rain was pretty heavy, during disembark the groud crew was very helpful making sure everyone didn't get wet and the umbrellas is in good conditions as well.

This picture also reminded me on what's happended to one of my ex. colleague brother who went to Bangkok for 6 months for intership. He took AK and on the day where he depart from KLIA (during that time LCCT not ready yet), it was raining cats and dogs and by the time he reached Bangkok and opened his luggae everything is wet! He was so devastated because all the medical reference books inside the luggage is all wet! It seems like AK just leave all the luggage sitting outside uncovered during heavy rains and those unlucky passanger with luggage being placed on top of the whole stack will have a shock of their life when they retrieved and opened their luggage.

Lesson from this case : If you don't want your luggage soaking wet, get a good PP (polypropylene) material luggage (hardcase) as they have much better protection against rain.

the present LCCT is only temporary. A real LCCT will be built nearby (sorry no idea exactly where). The present LCCT will be turned to, yes a warehouse.

Are you sure?

I thought the current LCCT is the permanent one.

Some pics of AK babies and the people around them.

Taken middle of this year.

IPB Image

PRICELESS

Are you sure?

I thought the current LCCT is the permanent one.

The current one will be convert to cargo afaik, and the new one will be somewhere, I hope it will be better with the A320 head can fit under roof or something to avoid uncomfortable boarding during raining or hot season :)

IPB Image

If you can spot who's that big Momma on the far background, then you'd know when and why I was where I was. :p

I spy obviously five AirAsia planes in original livery, one "Jalur Gemilang" AirAsia plane and an A380 :p . All of these planes add to one comment: "Family Portrait", aside from the A380 B) .

Very nice pictures :clapping: :drinks: !!!!!

IPB Image

Oh my god....This is scary :o Hope that i'm not suffering this experience during my flight to SBW this weekend.

Will try to get some shots this sunday,by god's will and if weather permits :lol:

omg boarding a plane w/o aerobridge in heavy rain??tat is gona b a bad hair day :p

It's a tradition of AirAsia, since they are a Low Cost Carrier, they believe that in order to keep costs low, they should not use aerobridges because you have to pay money in order to use it and that will not keep air costs low, just to let you know :lol: .

Edited by Andrew Ong

IMO, i more rather they build a large "warehouse". :D just like the bus terminal at Genting bus station. or like a hangar. at least passenger can onboard the aircraft in any weather condition. also let their staff easier done their job. :)

I remember March of 2006 when I travel to Sabah the AK still in MTB !!! Sherman ,all the photos U post are really nice!! :good:

ouch...... you are confused........ :D not by me la... :D is by Ewan. :)